Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Traffic Jam Assistant Coding - OBDEleven or VCDS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomBu
where you got the traffic sign recog??
i have SQ5 too, i could only see the traffic sign on my MMI google maps screen down right corner. i think that is google maps only.
Its part of the drivers assistance package, the speed limit in maps is different.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I am saying that I have noticed that when I'm on a stretch of road thats 50mph rated and its about to drop to 35mph (speed zone), I get this little green foot with an arrow pushing up in the bottom right of VC down by fuel gauge.

I have no idea if its reading the signs, or its radaring way up ahead slower traffic or it knows the speed limit from the nav. How it knows to raise off pedal is creepy, so I floor it.

I tried a goggle image search and not finding it at all...
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
No, I am saying that I have noticed that when I'm on a stretch of road thats 50mph rated and its about to drop to 35mph (speed zone), I get this little green foot with an arrow pushing up in the bottom right of VC down by fuel gauge.

I have no idea if its reading the signs, or its radaring way up ahead slower traffic or it knows the speed limit from the nav. How it knows to raise off pedal is creepy, so I floor it.

I tried a goggle image search and not finding it at all...
It uses GPS from what I understand in conjunction with the speed limit it knows/cameras to tell you there's a speed decrease ahead. I see it on my HUD too a few times a day. That's still different from the traffic sign recognitions with the DAP. Hardware it uses is the same, coding is different. If that's wrong someone please correct me. I know there's no button for TJA or adaptive cruise control if you don't have the DAP. Aside form those external sensors should be the same.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
I do not have DAP (US).

However, on my PP+ SQ5 it still seems to have some kind of rudimentary traffic sign recognition. I get this lil green foot telling me to lift off the accel. Noticed it happens in areas where we have a speed reduction coming up.

So not sure if using google maps or NAV db or traffic sign recog.

Of course I always go WoT when I see the foot, as I dont trust "the man"
What you are referring to, are messages from the "Predictive Efficiency Assist" system. (Around page 100 of the US / Canadian Manual.)
"The predictive efficiency assist helps the driver to drive with anticipation and therefore helps to save fuel. The system accesses predictive trip data (including speed limits, inclines and the radius of curves) from the navigation system*. Information from the camera-based traffic sign recognition* is also applied to recognize traffic signs."

In some markets, the system is linked to the ACC, which causes the vehicle to automatically reduce speed when approaching sharp turns in the road etc.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh, thanks for the clarification from the book. When in doubt, RTFM.

Maybe coding to TJA might not be that difficult knowing that now...
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amorak
I was messing about in OBD11 tonight, and there are definitely some options in the ACC (Control Unit 12) coding section relating to TJA... I tried turning them on and got the MMI settings to show up, but whenever I turn on the car now it just says "Traffic Jam Assistant Not Available: See Manual" ... So Hopefully others better-versed at this can make some headway to enabling TJA!

Can you enable active cruise control via coding?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5Enthusiast
Can you enable active cruise control via coding?
Won't accomplish anything unless you have the hardware installed. It takes more than the forward facing camera.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
Won't accomplish anything unless you have the hardware installed. It takes more than the forward facing camera.
What type of hardware does it require? I have a Prestige model. Is it equipped with the necessary sensors, etc.?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5Enthusiast
What type of hardware does it require? I have a Prestige model. Is it equipped with the necessary sensors, etc.?
To my understanding, for ACC there is a radar sensor mounted in the grille area somewhere. Without that sensor, you can't have ACC, and the sensor won't be there if you didn't get ACC from the factory. Also, I'm not certain if the 2018 still has a cruise control stalk, rather than buttons on the wheel. But if there is still a stalk like my 2012 has, then you would also have to replace the stalk, since it has an extra control for setting the spacing.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
To my understanding, for ACC there is a radar sensor mounted in the grille area somewhere. Without that sensor, you can't have ACC, and the sensor won't be there if you didn't get ACC from the factory. Also, I'm not certain if the 2018 still has a cruise control stalk, rather than buttons on the wheel. But if there is still a stalk like my 2012 has, then you would also have to replace the stalk, since it has an extra control for setting the spacing.
I drove a Q7 last week with DAP, had a stalk so I assume it'll be the same