Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Traffic Sign Recognition Kufatec in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TrickeyA4B9 , did you change the camera database of A5 module which needs flashing? as this seems the issue with the error " Function unavailable in this country"

Ps, have been informed that "Function unavailable in this country" means the database module has been flashed ok and its the PSD receiving info from the MIB2 that's causing the problem, so the option is to either:-

a) stop PSD from reaching A5 camera.
b) hack firmware in A5 to allow Oz...

So do you know what you did to overcome the issue?

Last edited by watrob; 06-22-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What year model / make do you have?
I didnt touch the camera database... but a few things i learned... make sure VZA is off, Road sign fusion is off, and you are using Terminal 15 for TSR msg bus 21.
Below are some of the scenarios i ran on top of the base coding just playing around to get fusion and HUD working. They all broke TSR, but none of them threw a region error. Perhaps disabling them will fix it if they are currently enabled? Just make sure to backup your coding or right down your steps.

Test 1 - Didnt add HUD and stopped TSR from working
A5 -Long coding
Vze - change to coded
Then adaptations
From "road sign detection" to "Road sign fusion mode"
VZE must be coded to enable fusion...

Test 2 - Additional changes on top of above... Didn't work and stopped TSR from working.
5F - Adaptations
Bap gen 2
Tsr 21 msg bus
Change from term 15 to databus extended (saw this in some VW forums).
Then Long coding
Byte 24 vza
From not activated to activated

Test 3 - Same as above, but removed VZA - TSR did NOT work.
Byte 24 vza - not activated but left the other changes.

Test 4 - Same as above but changed below - TSR did NOT work
5F Adaptations - BAP GEN 2 - TSR 21 Msg bus back to Terminal 15

Reverted everything back and works again.
Really hate that i cant get this showing in the HUD. The lack of Fusion doesn't bother me too much.. but i wouldnt mind the addition.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

HI Will check those settings,

The KUFATEC dongle I used came from Germany and the feeling is it updated the camera database as that is why I am getting after a few minutes the warning goes from "No traffic signs recognised" to "Function unavailable in this country" so I will check the settings as above in your email.

Have attached a couple photos.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by watrob
The KUFATEC dongle I used came from Germany and the feeling is it updated the camera database as that is why I am getting after a few minutes the warning goes from "No traffic signs recognised" to "Function unavailable in this country" so I will check the settings as above in your email.
Please report back if you find a solution - I have the same issue after coding with the Kufatec dongle and they are not interested to help.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BFN949
Please report back if you find a solution - I have the same issue after coding with the Kufatec dongle and they are not interested to help.
This is why those kufatec dongles scare me... they don't tell you what coding changes are made. When you give them the VIN do they use that to parameterize the camera for that region based on VIN or simply as a lock out for reuse? Did you ask them what coding changes are made?
Old 06-25-2018, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TrickeyA4B9
This is why those kufatec dongles scare me... they don't tell you what coding changes are made. When you give them the VIN do they use that to parameterize the camera for that region based on VIN or simply as a lock out for reuse? Did you ask them what coding changes are made?
I did not even try - they usually respond with 3-word sentences to emails.
Before I purchased the dongle, I had asked them if it would work on my vehicle (providing the VIN of the vehicle.) They responded that it would. When I received the error after installation, they simply responded that the dongle was not intended for use outside of the countries indicated on their website. (That is exactly why I had enquired if the dongle would work on my vehicle.)
Mine works if the camera encounters a traffic sign within the first few hundred yards after startup (i.e. before the error appears.) If the error is however shown (on the display) before a traffic sign is encountered, the system will not pick up or show any traffic signs afterwards.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As you can download the file that KUFATEC place into the dongle by plugging a USB cable into the dongle and saving it to your computer I am wondering if VCP could decode the file as its a VCP coded dongle that KUFATEC are using?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BFN949
Mine works if the camera encounters a traffic sign within the first few hundred yards after startup (i.e. before the error appears.) If the error is however shown (on the display) before a traffic sign is encountered, the system will not pick up or show any traffic signs afterwards.
2 solutions...
1. Put a traffic sign at the end of the driveway
2. Borrow / buy obd11/ VCDS/ VCP and dump the coding for a bit of help.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My OBDeleven just arrived today,....
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TrickeyA4B9
2 solutions...
1. Put a traffic sign at the end of the driveway
2. Borrow / buy obd11/ VCDS/ VCP and dump the coding for a bit of help.
HaHaHaHA

I have an ODB11 (and VCDS and VCP - more than just a bit OCD!). I spent hours trying to figure out the TSR. At the time, the consensus was that it will not be possible to program TSR. So when the Kufatec programming module became available, I bought it.

So now I hope something figures out what coding (done by the Kufatec module) needs to be reversed for TSR to work all the time, since we now know how to code the feature.

Quick Reply: Traffic Sign Recognition Kufatec in Australia