Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Update your Nav to 2018 maps

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
Just out of curiosity does this app give you the ability to check on the status of your vehicle when you are not in or driving it, for example check and see if the vehicle is locked or not?
^ Hi Jonny - yes it does. With the app you can check to see if the vehicle is locked or not, provided the vehicle is parked and not running. You can then choose to lock or unlock the vehicle using the app. The app will also tell you where the vehicle is currently located and will display the location in an included Google map window along with the current distance between you (your smartphone) and the vehicle. Again, this information will only be available if the vehicle is parked and not running. The app also advises the open/closed status of doors & windows, lights on/off status, fuel tank level, vehicle's fuel range and the current odometer reading.
- Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 10-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Hi Jonny - yes it does. With the app you can check to see if the vehicle is locked or not, provided the vehicle is parked and not running. You can then choose to lock or unlock the vehicle using the app. The app will also tell you where the vehicle is currently located and will display the location in an included Google map window along with the current distance between you (your smartphone) and the vehicle. Again, this information will only be available if the vehicle is parked and not running. The app also advises the open/closed status of doors & windows, lights on/off status, fuel tank level, vehicle's fuel range and the current odometer reading.
- Richard
Thanks for the info Richard.
It sounds like this is something I will use quite a bit.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to say that the Audi map download system is literally the dumbest implementation I can imagine.

1. It downloads to a file in your temp folder. That's 10.2 gigs.
2. It expands it in another folder in the temp folder. That's 12.1 gigs.
3. Then it copies this temp folder over to the destination folder you designated originally. That's another 12.1 gigs.

So in total, the 10.2 gigs ends up becoming 34.4 gigs of data.

Even if you select an alternate destination drive, the 2 temp folders will be 22.3 gigs on your C:. This can't be altered.

Be aware of how much memory you have on your C: drive, because the Audi will use 3x the described amount if you plan on saving the final files to that hard drive.

Last edited by audi-one; 10-10-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Yes, as far as I know. I have never received a note about it, nor does it do it automatically over the air (at least for me).
Sigh. Am disappointed in Audi. Have had my SQ5 for over a year now, and only 1 map update. My Garmin has had 4 updates (no charge) in the same timeframe. Not sure I want to shift completely to CarPlay for my maps, still experiencing bugs with CarPlay...
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

Audi publishes ever 6 months. I got our car in January, updated then, and again around August when I released there was an update.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Problem with online update

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
Mine happened "over the air". I still am in my 6 month free trial of audi connect/wifi. A couple days ago I got a pop-up in the mmi that asked if I wanted to update. About a day later I got another pop-up saying it had been downloaded and installed successfully.
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2018 Q6 and am trying to initiate the online update. I see that it says 2018-2019 maps. I select that and it suggests a region, which is correct for my location. If I press the main MMI button here, it merely selects/deselects the region checkbox. I don't see a way to inform the update process to begin. If I click LEFT, I back out, if I click RIGHT, nothing happens, of I click DOWN, I get a SiriusXM station menu and if I click UP, nothing happens.

Can anyone answer this?

Many thanks in advance,
Earl

Last edited by evoss; 10-18-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2018 map files

I own a2016 tecknik and do not have Audi correct services.
Out of warranty and Ottawa's dealer charges $450
Can you send me the required files... Maybe through Dropbox?

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Yes, I'm in Canada and about 3 months ago I downloaded and installed the previous '2017-2018' version map database update. I just checked today and saw that I can now download the '2018' version of the map database. In order to download a map update in Canada from myAudi (Canada) you need to have access (a subscription) to Audi Connect Services by way of the Audi Connect 'Assistance & Security' package, which is an included extra that comes with the Technik trim package.
If you don't have access to Audi's online map update, send me a PM and we can perhaps organize something or other to get the 2018 version map files to you.
2018 mao files
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcash

2018 mao files
^ Bobcash, have you confirmed with the Audi dealer that the nav map update files for a "Gen-2" Q5 will actually work in your "Gen-1" Q5? There are significant differences in the two generations' infotainment platforms. My Gen-2 2018 Q5 uses MIB-2 technology.
If you're satisfied it will work, you can send me a blank 16 GB (or larger) SD card, and I'll copy my 2018-2019 version map update files to the card and mail it back to you. Feel free to send me a PM in this regard.
Apologies, but uploading 12.5 GB worth of data files to Dropbox or similar is not an exercise I'm willing to explore.
- Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 12-02-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by evoss

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2018 Q6 and am trying to initiate the online update. I see that it says 2018-2019 maps. I select that and it suggests a region, which is correct for my location. If I press the main MMI button here, it merely selects/deselects the region checkbox. I don't see a way to inform the update process to begin. If I click LEFT, I back out, if I click RIGHT, nothing happens, of I click DOWN, I get a SiriusXM station menu and if I click UP, nothing happens.

Can anyone answer this?

Many thanks in advance,
Earl
If it doesn’t give you the option to select the region, I’m pretty sure they’re current. I’ll check when I get in my car
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcash

2018 mao files
The gen 2 maps won't work with your vehicle. Complete different operating system in the navigation.
Your options are to pay up with the dealer or seek out an aftermarket replacement map.

Quick Reply: Update your Nav to 2018 maps