Update your Nav to 2018 maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Perfect instructions.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Originally Posted by FPF
The new 2018 nav update is out. I’ve seen update instructions several places but not everything in one place. Here is a concise step by step of how to update your maps from the internet for 2018 Q5 owners. I did this on a Mac, Windows may be a little different.

1) Get a 32 Gig SD memory card. Mine cost $20.
2) Go to My Audi site, https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi. Log in.
3) Click on the “Audi connect services” icon (below the car).
4) On the services tab, click the right arrow to scroll to “Map update.” Click on it.
5) You can choose “Complete package” or “Individual country.” Your choice. I chose complete package.
6) Put you SD card in your computer. Alternately, you can load the map files to your hard drive. Click on “prepare package” at the bottom.
7) This will download a file called “downloader” with a bunch of numbers after the word.
8) You need the latest version of Java. It will prompt you if needed.
9) On the Mac, I needed to go into my security settings to allow the downloader file to open.
10) It will open with a Java screen, followed by a Download client window that says “my Audi.” It asks you to choose a folder location for the files. Pick a location on your hard drive or SD card and click to go.
11) The download starts and is tracked in the Download client window. The size of the files is 10.6 gig. It took about 2 hours to download on my computer.
12) Once the files are downloaded, transfer them to your SD card if you didn’t load them direct. There will be two files “0231001C.md5”, “metainfo2.txt” and two folders “Mib1” and Mib2”. All are needed.
13) Go to your car. You can do this while you are driving or stationary but the car must be on (not necessarily running but on). I did it in my garage.
14) Stick the SD card into the SD1 slot in your glove box.
15) In your MMI, go to Main menu>>Settings. Push the MMI scroll wheel to the left, it brings up a menu that says “MMI setup” and “System update.” Pick “System update.”
16) Pick SD1 (i.e. where you put your SD card) and press the MMI button to select.
17) The nav update will start and inform you of progress on the MMI screen. My update took about 20 minutes to load in my car.

Lots of steps but really pretty easy. I hope this helps. Enjoy your new maps.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I just bought my 09 and it won't allow me to create an account due to the age of the vehicle. I'm not sure mine can accept an SD card. It has a dvd drive in the rear by the spare. Anywhere else to find the maps for free or cheap?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AChavarria
I have a 2009 Q7 TDI and I'm currently running the original nav disc. I would like to get updated maps but I'm not sure the best route. Definitely don't want to pay the dealership $700. I've seen some discs on eBay but not sure if they will work.
This is the forum for the 2nd gen. You’ve got a first gen, so you probably want to pose the question on that forum.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my 2019 q8. I assume the navigation is up to date? The myAudi site just says Digital road map North America ( Mexico, Canada , USA ) Version 2019. Does it ever update during the year or just once a year or something? Wondering if I need to download this or if it's already installed since my vehicle is brand new. Also what SD card should I buy? There are many different sizes.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08-01-2019, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by syarbrou
Just got my 2019 q8. I assume the navigation is up to date? The myAudi site just says Digital road map North America ( Mexico, Canada , USA ) Version 2019. Does it ever update during the year or just once a year or something? Wondering if I need to download this or if it's already installed since my vehicle is brand new. Also what SD card should I buy? There are many different sizes.

Thanks.

Steve
Wrong forum. There is a forum dedicated to the Q8. This is dedicated to the Q & SQ5, Mk II version.
Good luck with the new car!!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

Dont assume a new car has the latest maps. My maps were out of date when I took delivery. Map updates are released twice a year.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FPF
The new 2018 nav update is out. I’ve seen update instructions several places but not everything in one place. Here is a concise step by step of how to update your maps from the internet for 2018 Q5 owners. I did this on a Mac, Windows may be a little different.

4) On the services tab, click the right arrow to scroll to “Map update.” Click on it.
5) You can choose “Complete package” or “Individual country.” Your choice. I chose complete package.
6) Put you SD card in your computer. Alternately, you can load the map files to your hard drive. Click on “prepare package” at the bottom.
7) This will download a file called “downloader” with a bunch of numbers after the word.
9) On the Mac, I needed to go into my security settings to allow the downloader file to open.
10) It will open with a Java screen, followed by a Download client window that says “my Audi.” It asks you to choose a folder location for the files. Pick a location on your hard drive or SD card and click to go.
11) The download starts and is tracked in the Download client window. The size of the files is 10.6 gig. It took about 2 hours to download on my computer.
12) Once the files are downloaded, transfer them to your SD card if you didn’t load them direct. There will be two files “0231001C.md5”, “metainfo2.txt” and two folders “Mib1” and Mib2”. All are needed.
13) Go to your car. You can do this while you are driving or stationary but the car must be on (not necessarily running but on). I did it in my garage.
15) In your MMI, go to Main menu>>Settings. Push the MMI scroll wheel to the left, it brings up a menu that says “MMI setup” and “System update.” Pick “System update.”
16) Pick SD1 (i.e. where you put your SD card) and press the MMI button to select.
17) The nav update will start and inform you of progress on the MMI screen. My update took about 20 minutes to load in my car.

This was really helpful. Thank you for the step by step instructions. Took less than 1 hour to download. Updating the car was 45 minutes. Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsal
Wrong forum. There is a forum dedicated to the Q8. This is dedicated to the Q & SQ5, Mk II version.
Good luck with the new car!!
So I’m. new to Audi having just left Volvo. Are you saying the map update process is model specific?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this quick starter video may help -
After you get to the last screen in the video hit the 'Back' button and you can see a prompt to initiate the download.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FPF

Followed this and worked fine. I was using USB and the AUDI MMI does not give you the option to browse the files on your usb. You MUST keep all the folders and files in the usb drive and not store them inside any folder. When the files were at root level, mmi picked it up. took around 20 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Peter John (04-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Update your Nav to 2018 maps