Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Volume different depending on input

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume different depending on input

Does anyone know how to equalize the volume between inputs? When using the jukebox or SD cards, I have to turn the volume way up to hear at a normal level. Then, when I switch back to XM, the speaker practically explode because the volume setting (unchanged by me) is way too high. Essentially, I have to adjust the volume each time I switch inputs to maintain the same actual decibel level. Any workarounds would be appreciated...
Old 05-14-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, spin the volume down before selecting SiriusXM. Don't know any other answer.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't have a good solution but I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by this
The following users liked this post:
Neil Kimber (01-11-2020)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm also bothered by this. I wonder if there are audio source gain settings that can be altered using my OBDeleven?
The following users liked this post:
Neil Kimber (01-11-2020)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This kills me too. When finishing a phone conversation or done listening to music, going back to radio is automatically at 90% volume. There has to be a way to fix this.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDMurdock:
agbiggs (04-06-2021), Neil Kimber (01-11-2020)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this isn’t your case, but just a heads up if you use bluetooth to stream... make sure the volume on your device is up! Also - it isn’t as high of quality as a direct plug so I recommend that anyways
Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Using my OBDeleven today I found/visited the following adaptation parameter:

> (5F) Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2

The vast majority of audio system inputs (as listed in this parameter) were factory set to -128, however Satellite Radio was set to 17. I changed the setting for Satellite Radio to -128 to match the others.
Afterwards I did an A/B listening test and it seemed (to me, at least) the decibel level of SiriusXM radio at a given volume setting may be somewhat lower now but it still remains greater than that of the Jukebox or SD cards. Further adjustment(s) and testing are needed.
Here are a few of my smartphone OBDeleven screenshots:

Control Unit 5F menu page:

5F Adaptation menu - list of available parameters (page 1 of many):

Adaptation Parameter: Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2 (page 1): These are the factory default settings found

Adaptation Parameter: Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2 (page1): Satellite Radio setting changed to -128

/ Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 05-19-2018 at 08:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbreeze:
Neil Kimber (01-11-2020), Void20 (12-02-2020)
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze

> (5F) Information Control Unit -> Adaptation -> Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2

The vast majority of audio system inputs (as listed in this parameter) were factory set to -128, however Satellite Radio was set to 17. I changed the setting for Satellite Radio to -128 to match the others.
Afterwards I did an A/B listening test and it seemed (to me, at least) the decibel level of SiriusXM radio at a given volume setting may be somewhat lower now but it still remains greater than that of the Jukebox or SD cards. Further adjustment(s) and testing are needed.

Adaptation Parameter: Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2 (page 1): These are the factory default settings found

Adaptation Parameter: Audio Management Input Gain Generation 2 (page1): Satellite Radio setting changed to -128

/ Richard

You, sir, are the man! Thanks for always sharing these little tricks!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze

/ Richard
I made this coding change today to test this out. Satellite Radio was still much louder than my other sources. I'll have to use my phone's decibel app to see if this setting changes the sound level of the radio at all.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLAudi2018
Does anyone know how to equalize the volume between inputs? When using the jukebox or SD cards, I have to turn the volume way up to hear at a normal level. Then, when I switch back to XM, the speaker practically explode because the volume setting (unchanged by me) is way too high. Essentially, I have to adjust the volume each time I switch inputs to maintain the same actual decibel level. Any workarounds would be appreciated...
If coding above isn’t your hint or doesn’t work, when you are in a source, you will see that you can navigate to the right. That brings you to the audio settings for that input. Make the desired changes there and I believe it remains for that input.

Quick Reply: Volume different depending on input