Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

wheel-arch trim kit+after-market fog lamps+after-market night-vision

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel-arch trim kit+after-market fog lamps+after-market night-vision

Thank you all for this great website - and my first (virgin) post -
I am taking delivery of an SQ5 2019 with the air suspension and have some questions:

Query 1: Wheel-arch extension/trim
The previous Q5 generation had an option for a wheel-arch extension in grey or black plastic - it has a look like that of the wheel-wells of the A4 Allroad. I like the look but also the extra modest protection for the paint against scrapes, door-dings, road-grime "sand-blasting" etc. Here is the previous kit and see pix below: https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...071681--4u8-14 Does anyone know it this is or will be available from Audi or an after-market source?

1st Gen Q5 wheel arch kit

Query 2: Fog Lamp additions
I am not convinced eliminating specific-function fog-lamps is a good idea despite the so-called all weather setting of the LED headlamps - I have found that low-mounted foglamps very useful for both fog/rain but also illuminating the side of the road - I often drive on backroads with deer-strikes and (evidently suicidal) runners/walkers in dark clothing. There is a semi-infinite number of makers of aftermarket fog lamps, but most would look like an amateur klutzy addition to the Q5. Can anyone recommend a fog-lamp, foglamp kit or a customizer shop in the N.East US that could relatively seamlessly integrate into a Q5/SQ5? (I am aware they cannot be located to the sensor openings on the front facia).

Query 3: After-market Night Vision
Sadly the SQ5 does not have the Audi Nighvision on the order list. Does anyone know about a night vision system (real FLIR - bolometer or cooled camera) that can be integrated into the virtual cockpit or the MMI system of the 2019's - even if it it not able to engage the driver-assist warning/braking/steering systems? Or at least that might be able to be displayed through a cell-phone into the existing systems? Or that Audi might eventually make available night vision with assistance in future Q5's that could be retrofitted to 2019 Q5/SQ5?
Old 12-22-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Wheel arch extensions are not showing up as supported genuine Audi parts but heaps of hits in the UK and Europe for after market ones, you may need to search out there.

Fog lights - I don't think you are going to integrate with the CAN-BUS a set of fog lights without running them off a separate system independent from your lighting. In my location this is an illegal vehicle modification.
Try out the fitted lights as I am sure Audi would not have replaced fog lights (along with most other European manufactures) if they didn't meet the old requirement.

Night vision - You have the wrong vehicle if you need this, try a Q7 or Q8. Where the parts are interchangeable the expense is massive unless you go a stand alone model with its own monitor.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheel arch extensions are available in Europe. Please send me a PM if your interested in the kit I can see what I can find
Old 12-23-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I added FLIR night vision to my 2018 Q5. I can put the display on my virtual cluster or on the MMI or both. All necessary parts are available from Nav-TV. The system is great, and living in the desert I find myself using it often.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I added FLIR night vision to my 2018 Q5. I can put the display on my virtual cluster or on the MMI or both. All necessary parts are available from Nav-TV. The system is great, and living in the desert I find myself using it often.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Brilliant! ThankYouThankYou.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is a fabulous service. Thank you so much.
If you have any links - or perfect search phrases for Google - Please forward.
My Audi dealer is having the parts dept do both a web search and a query of Audi for if a kit will be available, either stand alone or [sic] "off-road", or if they recommend an after-market product - If I have any news or resolution I will post. (I hope someday I can be of similar help to newbies like me - pass-it-forward).
I am assuming that these extensions would not interfere with any of the sensors used by the assisted driving systems??