Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Wireless Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

I've been super pleased with it as well. Running it on our Audi (OEM Nav), my BMW (Android Head Unit), and when my daughter gets her car in the fall, I'll be grabbing a third. It just works and works well.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I've been super pleased with it as well. Running it on our Audi (OEM Nav), my BMW (Android Head Unit), and when my daughter gets her car in the fall, I'll be grabbing a third. It just works and works well.
I'm really glad these devices are working smoothly now. I bought an AAWireless unit a few months ago (June 2022) and while it seemed to work fine initially, by the next day it would not connect anymore. Went through different settings in their companion app and my phone and it sort of was working for another day then again, not. Spend hours fiddling. Their tech support was responsive but in the end could not get it to run smoothly. Sent it back for a refund.

Then I found a unit from Motorola, the MA1. Same concept, but it has no companion phone app. Plugged it in and it worked right away, for a day, then again did not want to connect reliably. Motorola tech support asked me to confirm I was using Android 11 or better, and turns out my Moto G7 phone was not able to update past Android 10. The tech was surprised it ever worked at all.

Ok, time to upgrade the phone and I also wanted wireless charging, so went with a Nokia XR20 which has Android 12. Plugged, played, and never looked back. So now I am wondering if my problems with the AAWireless product were also due to my old phone. I'll never know now, but just thought I'd post my experiences in case others run into connectivity issues.

Last edited by DrexLex; 08-20-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Corrections to Android versions
Old 08-20-2022, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrexLex
I'm really glad these devices are working smoothly now. I bought an AAWireless unit a few months ago (June 2022) and while it seemed to work fine initially, by the next day it would not connect anymore. Went through different settings in their companion app and my phone and it sort of was working for another day then again, not. Spend hours fiddling. Their tech support was responsive but in the end could not get it to run smoothly. Sent it back for a refund.

Then I found a unit from Motorola, the MA1. Same concept, but it has no companion phone app. Plugged it in and it worked right away, for a day, then again did not want to connect reliably. Motorola tech support asked me to confirm I was using Android 11 or better, and turns out my Moto G7 phone was not able to update past Android 10. The tech was surprised it ever worked at all.

Ok, time to upgrade the phone and I also wanted wireless charging, so went with a Nokia XR20 which has Android 12. Plugged, played, and never looked back. So now I am wondering if my problems with the AAWireless product were also due to my old phone. I'll never know now, but just thought I'd post my experiences in case others run into connectivity issues.
I'd be willing to bet all your pain was the older version of Android (specifically, the older version of the Bluetooth stack that it supported). I've had issues in the past with older Android versions pairing with the car Bluetooth, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wires:
DrexLex (08-20-2022), spindlewood (08-21-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Then I found a unit from Motorola, the MA1. Same concept, but it has no companion phone app. Plugged it in and it worked right away, for a day, then again did not want to connect reliably. Motorola tech support asked me to confirm I was using Android 10 or better, and turns out my Moto G7 phone was not able to update past Android 9. The tech was surprised it ever worked at all.

I was an early adapter thanks to Spindlewood letting us know about it. It worked flawlessly out of the box on my Audi in April of 21 when I got it. I never had to touch a setting.
Then I got my Genesis and had issues. I mades lots of changes to the settings doing all kinds of combinations and I finally got it to work. But then started to have issue again. So I ordered the Motorola. But then I noticed there was a new firmware update for the AAWireless and i updated it. So far it has been working flawlessly again. I still have the motorola sealed in the box it was shipped in. I have 30 days to return it, to Target, but I will wait another few weeks to see how it goes.

One thing to mention, This device and Audi both are very fussy about usb cables for Android Auto. The Genesis is even more fussy about cables than the Audi. Out of the 10 cables I tried, I have one that actually works without issues.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point about cables Ribeye. The newer stuff runs at much higher speeds and the cables matter now. My Google Pixel 6 wouldn't work with AA with a lot of the cheap Amazon special cords I bought. The Google supplied one, and a different more expensive one was fine.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Then I got my Genesis and had issues. I made lots of changes to the settings doing all kinds of combinations and I finally got it to work. But then started to have issue again. So I ordered the Motorola. But then I noticed there was a new firmware update for the AAWireless and i updated it. So far it has been working flawlessly again. I still have the motorola sealed in the box it was shipped in. I have 30 days to return it, to Target, but I will wait another few weeks to see how it goes.
Thanks for detailing your experiences. Funny how these things work perfectly for a spell but then somehow they don't stay consistent. Thought I was alone on that island.

One thing to mention, This device and Audi both are very fussy about usb cables for Android Auto. The Genesis is even more fussy about cables than the Audi. Out of the 10 cables I tried, I have one that actually works without issues.
The Motorola has the advantage of eliminating the USB cable choice issue -- it's not removable. I hope to dodge that problem altogether when the wife gets her 2023 RAV4 Prime -- it has wireless AA built in.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Thanks for detailing your experiences. Funny how these things work perfectly for a spell but then somehow they don't stay consistent. Thought I was alone on that island.

The Motorola has the advantage of eliminating the USB cable choice issue -- it's not removable. I hope to dodge that problem altogether when the wife gets her 2023 RAV4 Prime -- it has wireless AA built in.
I will say that in my Audi, the AAWireless worked for flawlessly the entire time I had it. It is only with my Genesis I had the issues.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:47 AM
Mark P

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I just discovered that AA Wireless is now available on Amazon. They're now shipping from the US and you no longer need to go through Indigogo and the related wait. It has Prime delivery and free returns too.

I've been using the device for two years, and it's still one of the best upgrades I've done for my SQ5.
Agree! It works really really well. Great to have you all here are the forum to learn about items like this.