Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 with electrical smoke through air vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 with electrical smoke through air vents

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I need some advice. I bought an Audi Q7 2008. Audi Melbourne installed a new battery. The problem is that the car wont start after driving . If its cold start, before running the engine, the car will start. Audi Perth told me that the battery is faulty. But the battery is new, barely two months in use.
The other problem is that a week ago, the car was smoking through the air vents, the smell was some electrical insulation. I took it to a local garage who told me thats it could be the
blower motor that is faulty.
I am not sure if the two problems have been diagnised properly. Any advice is welcome.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, hopefully the audi dealer in melb. had done everything correctly when it came to swapping the battery over including re-coding of the battery serial number etc, this forces the alternator to boost its charge back upto 13-14volts etc. without it may be something like 10-11 volts which will drain your fresh new battery.
On the other hand though I had experienced failures to start on warm engine a long time ago. It ended up been the 2 power supply relays located in the fuse box in the engine bay. These supply the current needed for the starter motor and once warm the contacts would fail and result in a no start. Cold no worries. The other is the power cable that comes from the jump start location on the passengers side in the engine bay has a known fault of the power cable from the jump post to the starter motor the have high resistance when hot due to a faulty cable crimp from audi. Once again only happens in hot starts.
Hope this may give you some more areas to search for, as for the smoke in the air vents, potentially could be a failed blower motor or resistor but then agian you would poor air flow through a/c on one or more air vents when using, good luck mate and let us know how umyou go with it.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mate, I suspected relays. I will advice the garage to look into your suggestions. I will give you a feed back.