Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

So, how do you spot....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, how do you spot....

...the difference between trims? What are some of the tell tail signs of certain trims or engine specs? For the gassers, how do you tell just buy looking at the vehicle if it’s the 280 or 330 hp engine? Or do you have to decode the VIN or look at the engine codes. Speaking of which, where is the manuf. code sheet in the Q7?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamas
...the difference between trims? What are some of the tell tail signs of certain trims or engine specs? For the gassers, how do you tell just buy looking at the vehicle if it’s the 280 or 330 hp engine? Or do you have to decode the VIN or look at the engine codes. Speaking of which, where is the manuf. code sheet in the Q7?
Well, you can't really tell diesel from gas, except badging, hear it running, look under the hood, get the sticker or of course, decode the VIN.
They all can look the same if they have the same exterior options. ***(please correct me if I am wrong)

For the gasser, TFSI, there is premium @280 and prestige (s line) @333. There are so many different packages and in between the years, for instance: I looked at 3 - 2015's premium and prestige, both gas and diesel, I could not tell a difference, but there is a sport package that mimics the Euro V12 option, with stainless skid plates front and rear. They look super tough.

2007 - 2010 I believe were first model, 2011 - 2015 were known as facelift. All 4L.
Mid 2015 they started producing and calling them in Europe, the 4M (New, square Body Style) They came to the states in 2017 but they can call them 2015 over there. I get asked for VIN because mine is 2015 and they want to make sure for right situations/parts.

What exactly are you interested in?

I opted for 2015 for many reasons.
1. I still had warranty (expired now)
2. I figured they would have had the bugs worked out by that year (not so)
3. Last year of old body style, yet facelift version (newest of the old)
4. Gas, more options for tuning/HP if I desire, although mileage suffers
Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not looking to differentiate between gassers and diesels, but am looking at a few 2013-2015 gassers, and without the VIN, I am not able to tell the engine specs, no real difference from what I can tell. The only tell tale sign so far are the factory 21” rims and the little plastic fender extensions and sometimes they are called “sport”. There was one that had the “sport -330hp” option, but it seems the wheels were replaced for 20”, so that isn’t a bulletproof way either. There is an option that removes the fog lights, those are also dubbed “sport”. Only, I also see 3.0T or TFSI on the back used all over, so that isn’t a sure way.....confusing with all the trims. So VIN is the only real way it seems. I saw the S line with the 280hp engine as well, it appears it’s only an appareance packge and nothing more.

Domyou know where the factory RPO code sheet is in the Q7? In my allroad it was in the spare wheel well, not here.

Still up up in the air between the TDI and a gasser, would need to be the 330hp version. Call it afraid of the fix if you will, but I’m not certain I want to put up with the known issues and potential failures down the road. As much as I would like one, would prefer a pre-fix model, not going to happen sadly.

How is yours in terms of issues, service, fuel economy, etc. if I get one, it must be a higher trim, Bose, cameras, heated/cooled seats....4 way climate is nice but not needed, rear window shades would be nice to help with the tint for Jr in the back seat. Coming from manuals, this being my potentially first automatic, still not sure I’m ready to pull the plug and loose a pedal. But my MK6 R isn’t doing it anymore as a daily and as a family hauler.

Last edited by Tamas; 02-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tamas
Not looking to differentiate between gassers and diesels, but am looking at a few 2013-2015 gassers, and without the VIN, I am not able to tell the engine specs, no real difference from what I can tell. The only tell tale sign so far are the factory 21” rims and the little plastic fender extensions and sometimes they are called “sport”. There was one that had the “sport -330hp” option, but it seems the wheels were replaced for 20”, so that isn’t a bulletproof way either. There is an option that removes the fog lights, those are also dubbed “sport”. Only, I also see 3.0T or TFSI on the back used all over, so that isn’t a sure way.....confusing with all the trims. So VIN is the only real way it seems. I saw the S line with the 280hp engine as well, it appears it’s only an appareance packge and nothing more.

Domyou know where the factory RPO code sheet is in the Q7? In my allroad it was in the spare wheel well, not here.

Still up up in the air between the TDI and a gasser, would need to be the 330hp version. Call it afraid of the fix if you will, but I’m not certain I want to put up with the known issues and potential failures down the road. As much as I would like one, would prefer a pre-fix model, not going to happen sadly.

How is yours in terms of issues, service, fuel economy, etc. if I get one, it must be a higher trim, Bose, cameras, heated/cooled seats....4 way climate is nice but not needed, rear window shades would be nice to help with the tint for Jr in the back seat. Coming from manuals, this being my potentially first automatic, still not sure I’m ready to pull the plug and loose a pedal. But my MK6 R isn’t doing it anymore as a daily and as a family hauler.
Great, then yes, prestige has the 333 (sline upgrade with 21's) and it sounds like that is what you want. It will have all that, but air suspension you may have to look for if you want it.
Sport is a package that looks like the V12 model from Europe, thats all. Great upgrade though, it is what I wanted, but I settled for a known good S Line.
The 8 speed is freaking Awesome, just sayin. And it hauls/tows/moves out!

I have 60,000 on the clock.
All services performed by Audi, thus far.
New tires and brakes when I bought it at 37,000 and just replaced them 58,000. I could have gotten another 5000 miles on the summer tires, but snow was coming, so I changed them quick. Brakes still holding out.
Just replaced the blower motor (quite common). Took under 12 minutes, about $60 DIY
I have many upgrades, tint all glass, weather mats and vents, trailer brakes, roof bars from THULE.
This thing tows like a mugger! Trust me, you'll love it!
Either gas motor is upgradable, stage 2 APR you'll push around 450 I believe.
I will not lie, you will most likely need to have the oil topped off before your 10,000 mile oil change, but don't let that deter you, it is normal.

Anything else?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sent you a PM
Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tamas

There are some great ones out there, I got this one! I am 2nd owner and it was well maintained.

2015 S Line 333 HP stock motor/Black pack
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Love color Jbgilbank! I ended up going white, because of options. But I would have rather gone the graphite color.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Love color Jbgilbank! I ended up going white, because of options. But I would have rather gone the graphite color.

I love the white, but my wife would have none of it!
I think white makes the tint windows pop, maybe that is a bad thing because of POPO!
We were seeking Daytona Gray with Pearl or even looking at Lava Gray. She thought she wanted Orca Black but decided it may be to hot in summer.
I was looking at several at the same time. 1 was like this and I knew no history. The sales guy knew this prior owner better than he knew options of the car and it was well maintained.
I didn't think I would like monochromatic but it grew on me in days and I would not change it. Black pack rocks! I notice you have the same. Sweet.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice rides guys