Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

HomeLink Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HomeLink Not Working

I just recently (2 weeks ago) bought my first Audi, 2019 Q7. I am have been trying for two weeks to set up HomeLink for my garage doors with no luck at all and HomeLink themselves have been pretty useless up to this point.
Nothing seems to work with my 2000 version Liftmaster Garage Door Openers.

I have 4 remote openers all with brand new fresh batteries and all programmed and working on my garage doors.

2- OEM single button (LiftMaster Original Remotes that I got when the house was built in 2000)
1 - Three Button LiftMaster Remote
1 - Three Button Chamberlain Remote

I have tried the program feature on the Audi Settings Screen as well as pushing the button on the overhead console which also prompts to the Screen View to program with no luck. The Doors always open/close but It always comes back with an Error message on the screen and asks if I want to try again. When I say yes, I try again with still no luck.

I called homelink support and they went through the standard playbook of troubleshooting including turning the car around both directions (facing and backed in near the Garage doors),
- Hold remotes and push button near rearview mirror,
- Hold remotes near homelink in overhead console,
- Hold remote in right rear seat floor board,
- Hold near driver side back bumper,
- And lastly in drivers side rear fender well all with zero luck. I started to think I was being punked.

I asked support if there was a way to use the train button and 3 separate people at home link have all said I have to sync the car to the remote and that is the only way it will work. My question for the experts here... Is that really the only way??
I have had homelink in other makes of cars including my last car (2016 Dodge Ram), and I have always been able to use the train buttons on the back of the units in the garage but again that doesnt seem to work either and HomeLink Support has been insistent that will never work. .

Does anyone have some guidance that I havent heard thus far??

Greg Hunt
Old 06-14-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Ive programed mine and my sisters homelinks with the existing remote no problem, but on both vehicles we hadda hold it down hear the headlamp or somewhere externally.. whats your user manual say is the procedure?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Dreadlocks... The owners manual says follow the steps on the infotainment screen which is exactly what I did prior to calling Home Link Support.
In essence after choosing a Home Link button to program, the infotainment system displays a message that says hold the handheld transmitter up to the rear view mirror and hold the button down on the handheld transmitter to capture the signal. When I hold down the remote transmitter button the garage door/s will open or close depending on their current position but the infotainment/Home Link system never captures the signal from the handheld remote/s. After what I assume is about 90 seconds to 2 mins the Home Link system eventually times out and displays an error message that it failed to capture the signal and asks if you want to try again. I can reply yes and repeat the same process over and over again but the system always times out.

I did that each time for each of the locations (Rear Floorboard, Fender Well, Bumper, Rearview Mirror) I mentioned in my first post and with all of the different transmitters in each location as well with Home Link Support on the phone, each handheld transmitter individually will open the garage doors but the Home Link system for whatever reason never captures the signals to program the button/s on the Audi overhead console. One last point, I asked Home Link Support if there was any other options to set it up like if I could use the train button on the actual motors and the support person told me that was not possible until I synchronized with the OEM handheld remote device. That response from support does not make sense to me and I guess that is why I am sort of questioning their response, These OEM Openers are almost 20 years old so to have an OEM remote that still physically works in my mind would be remote at best, Fortunately I still have both OEM Remotes (due to using aftermarket 3 button remotes or Home Link in other vehicles in the past) but what if I didnt have the OEM transmitters? Does that mean I can never use the Home Link system in my brand new 2019 Audi?? Just a thought
Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Try this. It worked for me on my SQ5 with a Craftsman opener.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...g-fix-2965882/
Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

CFLQTRO - Thanks for the reply but that also did not work so I guess my next option is the dealer and see what they tell me. Just seems odd that their is no way to program using the train button, the handheld remote alone cant be the only way.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yours may be too new for this to apply, but it is information that was difficult for me to locate when I had this problem on my Cadillac and Mercedes.

Original opener was a Chaimberlin with rolling codes. Homelink programmed to the cars fine. Replaced it with new Chamberlain, no luck. At some point around 2015 (I may be off on the year) Homelink changed their protocol. So cars with Homelink before that period wouldn't work with the new openers. This was poorly documented. Manufacturers weren't clued in and many new cars had problems with brand new openers.

To get around this, there is a repeater until that you plug in to the power in the garage. The repeater syncs with the overhead opener. You program everything like the manual says, the addition of the repeater is what fixes the problem.

It is possible the Audi/VW may still use the old protocols because they too are unaware. I know the Mercedes was newer than the protocol change and it still couldn't open the door without the repeater. When I get home, I'll see if I can find the model number on the repeater.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It just says "Homelink Repeater" on the unit.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@Yaemish - Thanks for your reply but I am having the opposite issue, My issue is the LiftMaster Garage doors I own are old rolling code models that are almost 20 years old (Original OEM from when my house was built in 2000) and I have a new 2019 Audi. Home Link support has not been much help at all and by all appearances are reading a standard script directly from their internal support playbook. In fact, the last person I spoke with @ Home Link said they only way to get the system to work is to sync the original OEM handheld remotes to the vehicle then I would be able to train the Home Link buttons in the car to the actual garage door motors which doesn't really make sense to me. One would think if I could sync any of the 4 handheld remotes I have (all coincidentally open the garage door/s outside of Home Link in the 2019 Audi) to the vehicle that should then open the garage doors. That is currently a moot point however because none of the 4 handheld openers will program/sync to the vehicle at this point.

I would also point out that I had a 2016 (Dodge) & 2015 (Ford) vehicles that both had HomeLink and did not experience any type of issue like I currently have. At the end of the day, its not the worst thing in the world to not have Home Link available in the Audi but more of an inconvenience I guess.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Ford to audi

Originally Posted by gshbolt22
@Yaemish - Thanks for your reply but I am having the opposite issue, My issue is the LiftMaster Garage doors I own are old rolling code models that are almost 20 years old (Original OEM from when my house was built in 2000) and I have a new 2019 Audi. Home Link support has not been much help at all and by all appearances are reading a standard script directly from their internal support playbook. In fact, the last person I spoke with @ Home Link said they only way to get the system to work is to sync the original OEM handheld remotes to the vehicle then I would be able to train the Home Link buttons in the car to the actual garage door motors which doesn't really make sense to me. One would think if I could sync any of the 4 handheld remotes I have (all coincidentally open the garage door/s outside of Home Link in the 2019 Audi) to the vehicle that should then open the garage doors. That is currently a moot point however because none of the 4 handheld openers will program/sync to the vehicle at this point.

I would also point out that I had a 2016 (Dodge) & 2015 (Ford) vehicles that both had HomeLink and did not experience any type of issue like I currently have. At the end of the day, its not the worst thing in the world to not have Home Link available in the Audi but more of an inconvenience I guess.
We just traded our 2018 Ford edge titanium for a 2019 audi q7. The Ford had pretty much all the technology the audi has but it was all so smooth and user friendly. Programming the garage door opener was as easy as 1-2-3 and with the audi it's so unnecessarily complicated! It ticks me off because I got an AUDI for crying out loud not a KIA! We keep getting the error message and still no success.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gshbolt22

I have a 2007 Craftsman (same as Liftmaster) and a 2019 SQ5. The instructions in the lnk below about pulling the fuse in the rear fixed it for me.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...g-fix-2965882/
The following users liked this post:
TheDrunkMoose (11-01-2023)

Quick Reply: HomeLink Not Working