Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sim Card & Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
My point, if I have to pay $20 for a month of data, I may as well use the original sim for unlimited data rather than 3GB with USMobile!
If it is short trips and deem it a luxury, I could get a Gig for $10 when I want it.
I tried USMobile, problem in my area is the crapping signal so anything connected to car WiFi can't even connect to simple webpages, etc. Yes it's cheap but it's worthless with the signal strength issues.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I suspect I may have the same problems. We live in a rural area and the Freedompop doesn't work in our area, which is why I was going to try the US Mobile.
May have the same problem. Where we reside is a dead zone for cell phones. We have Satellite Internet and TV.

Won't know until activated.. That is what I have to do. I will post the outcome.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK I activated the US Mobile sim for data only. $5 plus tax....

I had no expectations which was just as well. Before I go any further, I must clarify that we live in a rural setting by choice and we live in a dead zone for cell phones. Our cell phone works when we go into town and patchily along the highways around here.

So with that caveat I really had no expectations on the sim. Yes it works in town and is very slow in loading. Like our cell phone it doesn't work in dead zones etc.
So my thoughts are that if you reside in a city with excellent coverage it is doable. But for our purposes it does not. Therefore I will not be renewing it. Also Audi has advised that google earth will not be supported by Audi after 2020.

Fortunately the GPS works wonderfully well and I will be updating the maps soon.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

The only thing I use mine for other than looking at the Google maps, is sending directions to the unit... And that's pretty rare, honestly with Waze, I use the nav more as something to glace at (better than looking at the Sirius media screen); if we could get Carplay to interface, we would ALL be better off!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
The only thing I use mine for other than looking at the Google maps, is sending directions to the unit... And that's pretty rare, honestly with Waze, I use the nav more as something to glace at (better than looking at the Sirius media screen); if we could get Carplay to interface, we would ALL be better off!
Agreed. I’m keeping one active Sim card to move back-and-forth between the two vehicles but the only real reason is because the capability is there and it bothers me if something doesn’t work. Giving voice commands to Waze or Google maps in phone is so much easier.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Moi2
OK I activated the US Mobile sim for data only. $5 plus tax....

I had no expectations which was just as well. Before I go any further, I must clarify that we live in a rural setting by choice and we live in a dead zone for cell phones. Our cell phone works when we go into town and patchily along the highways around here.

So with that caveat I really had no expectations on the sim. Yes it works in town and is very slow in loading. Like our cell phone it doesn't work in dead zones etc.
So my thoughts are that if you reside in a city with excellent coverage it is doable. But for our purposes it does not. Therefore I will not be renewing it. Also Audi has advised that google earth will not be supported by Audi after 2020.

Fortunately the GPS works wonderfully well and I will be updating the maps soon.
Yeah, I do get signal but like you, will not be renewing, excepting when we take long roads trips, since it is pay as you need, I'll put a few bucks on it for POS info if needed.
I use my phone for everything else.

Audi has great tech stuff, but I am finding a lot of others surpassing them in many ways.
Either way, we still love our Q for now!