Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7 tdi 3.0 shut off while driving. Now won't start. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q7 tdi 3.0 shut off while driving. Now won't start. Please Help

Hello everyone, Thank you in advance for your help.

I 2010 Q7 tdi that shut off while driving on the thruway on my way home from work. All the sudden it shut off while I was driving about 60 mph. I coasted off an exit ramp and tried to restart the truck. It cranked very slow until the battery died. I had it towed to a shop that doesn't know much about diesels. They told me it did need a battery but still wouldn't start when they had power to it so he said my problem was something else.
I got it towed home and tryed to start it with jumper cables but cranks very slow. It has the following codes:
-p2201nox sensor
-p0266 Cylinder 2,3, and 6 Contribution/Balance.
​​​​​​-p0087 Fuel Rail system pressure too low.
If anyone has any suggestions or any idea what could have happened to it, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have no solution for you, I am not a mechanic. What happened to me is I took my car in for an EGR cooler. A few days later I ask if the car is ready. He tells me they got a code for low fuel rail pressure. Short story is they replaced the fuel rail and still got the code. They ended up giving me a whole new fuel system. Do you have any remaining warranty. Note the address in Surrey. We were just about a mile away from Malone's tuning. We moved 400 KM's away.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts

We need to know your mileage, the extended warranty status on your TDI, (have you looked it up by the VIN# to see?), and any relevant service history regards to parts prior replaced on it or work done, such as the HPFP, alternator, crankshaft pulley, battery, etc.; otherwise, it's all just conjecture and guessing at this point. Definitely go check Audi's TDI settlement site with your VIN# and pay attention to both sets of dates it provides you on the warranty extension.

The codes you or the 'non-diesel shop' pulled off it would seem to indicate fuel injector blockage problems, and the low fuel pressure may relate to a fragged HPFP, which could tie into the fuel injectors and certainly explain some bad things happening, as well as a car that won't run. Unless you scanned the car with VAG-compatible scantool, there's likely a bunch more trouble codes stored by the car you haven't seen yet. VAG=Volkswagen Auto Group. The slow cranking seems indicative of a weak, older battery, but that can easily be the result of constant parasitic drains from door handle sensors.

A weak battery alone will bring the car to its' knees and create havoc internally. Post up some further details regards to your car.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
We need to know your mileage, the extended warranty status on your TDI, (have you looked it up by the VIN# to see?), and any relevant service history regards to parts prior replaced on it or work done, such as the HPFP, alternator, crankshaft pulley, battery, etc.; otherwise, it's all just conjecture and guessing at this point. Definitely go check Audi's TDI settlement site with your VIN# and pay attention to both sets of dates it provides you on the warranty extension.

The codes you or the 'non-diesel shop' pulled off it would seem to indicate fuel injector blockage problems, and the low fuel pressure may relate to a fragged HPFP, which could tie into the fuel injectors and certainly explain some bad things happening, as well as a car that won't run. Unless you scanned the car with VAG-compatible scantool, there's likely a bunch more trouble codes stored by the car you haven't seen yet. VAG=Volkswagen Auto Group. The slow cranking seems indicative of a weak, older battery, but that can easily be the result of constant parasitic drains from door handle sensors.

A weak battery alone will bring the car to its' knees and create havoc internally. Post up some further details regards to your car.
Thank you!
I Installed a new battery, now it's coming up
P242F Diesel Particulate Filter restriction.
I'm hoping this is the final problem!