Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 TDI won't start in cold - help a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys in Illinois have a multitude of problems with your politicians, and the bio-diesel issue is just one of them. B5 is the maximum that these engines are designed to run. Your politicians wanted to kiss the hind side of the farm lobby, so they allow up to B20. That screws up these engines, and not only those from Audi.

As far as the fuel additive goes, use it and don't tell them. They'll never know, and your car will start and run in the low temperatures.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 01-22-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago with the cold front we had on the east coast. bought some fuel additive today to avoid issues with the current cold wave and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the funnel into the tank. unlike every other vehicle I've ever used where the steal flap just easily folds down as you insert the funnel, this one doesnt seem to budge. I'm afraid of pushing to hard and breaking it. any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just pour it in slowly. It will flow past the safety flap. No need for a funnel.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I put some in. As other post, just poor slowly and it will go in. I probably only need with two/three tanks a year to get from Dec through Feb. Since the distributors are doing formula changes during the season, don't see how this could hurt.

Certainly seems better to use a little additive then longer term/frequent consequences of gelling and or letting the dealer take stuff apart for no reason.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This is what I used

I had the same thing happened to me yesterday. I haven't started the Q for 2 days and left it outside in the NJ cold weather. When I tried to start it, it would start, run for about 5 seconds then shut off. I ended up putting 8oz of this stuff in the tank, pushed the car in the garage, waited about 4 hours then it started right up again.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmackay77
I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago with the cold front we had on the east coast. bought some fuel additive today to avoid issues with the current cold wave and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the funnel into the tank. unlike every other vehicle I've ever used where the steal flap just easily folds down as you insert the funnel, this one doesnt seem to budge. I'm afraid of pushing to hard and breaking it. any suggestions?
The flap is designed to allow only a diesel nozzle to fit in, so that gas cannot be accidentally added using the gas nozzle of different size. You will see two little spring loaded tabs...one at the top of the flap and one at the bottom. Both need to be pushed in at the same time to open the flap. When you insert the diesel nozzle of the right size, it pushes both in together, opening the flap. I put the funnel in and use it to push down on one of the spring loaded tabs, while at the same time using a screwdriver to push up on the top spring loaded tab...voila....the flap opens and the funnel can be inserted. Sounds more complicated than it is and is simple to do.
I add the same additive as in the post above and have had no problems at all starting at -15F here in Chicago. Biodiesel for sure needs treatment more than non-biodiesel.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2010 Q7 TDI has been starting up fine (knock on wood) in the garage while the outside temps in recent weeks have been -10 to 5F in the mornings.

My service advisor indicated that Audi is aware and is investigating an approved additive.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
My service advisor indicated that Audi is aware and is investigating an approved additive.
I have been getting that line for the past month with the "Audi has issued a technical bulletin related to the cold weather starting."

I am getting close to putting money on a recall notice being next.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

VW has always recommended the Stanadyne additive for extreme conditions. I'm not a fan of it as it causes water to pool. The Power Service (white bottle) actually rids the system of water when used on an on-going basis (meaning all winter long).

ULSD S15 fuel picks up more water than the old diesel fuel. There's nothing anyone can do about it. It's a fact of life.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Isologous
I have been getting that line for the past month with the "Audi has issued a technical bulletin related to the cold weather starting."

I am getting close to putting money on a recall notice being next.
I am going to get a diesel additive ... won't wait for Audi to jump all over this one quickly enough.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 01-28-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 TDI won't start in cold - help a rookie