Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Advanced key range issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced key range issue

I just picked up a CPO 2007 Q7 with 6K on it. I have noticed that I have to be very close to the Q7 and press my key fob many times to get the car to unlock or lock. I also had the car pop up a warning message that the key was missing while I was driving last night. The key was in my pocket the whole time. I thought the car would alert me when the battery was low. Is there something else that can be wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it the same for both keys? Possible solution by mksap11

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/q7/threads/2676.phtml#16757">Previous thread by twnmango</a></li></ul>
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am having our Q7 into the dealer next week for the 2nd time for.......

this very same issue. I believe it is a failing remote antenna, but will post what and if our problem is fixed.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Is it the same for both keys? Possible solution by mksap11

Yes, I believe so. I did try the second key and I had to get very close and press multiple times. I admittedly did not spend much time verifying the second key though as it was about 0 degrees and I was freezing. I will try again today when it is a little warmer outside. Having just got this car let me ask a stupid question. I am assuming I should be able to simply press the unlock/lock button just once from a reasonable distance (10-15 feet) and get it to work every time right?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Range should way better

If you search Fady and some of the replies he got it might help. IIRC range was discussed during his epic story (several threads)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/q7/threads/3358.phtml#20876">https://forums.audiworld.com/q7/threads/3358.phtml#20876</a</li></ul>
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Range should way better

Jusforfun,

I confirmed today that the range from both keys is the same. I get about 25-30 feet max clear line of sight from the back quarter of the vehicle. As I move toward the front quarter it drops to below 20 feet. From the front of the car I can only be about 5-10 feet max before the key fob won't work. Seems to me like I have an antenna issue. My car was produced in late 06 and delivered in early 07 so it sounds like it falls in the range of those cars that have the problem. I will pull up the vin later to see it is in the group mentioned in the other thread. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
UrQ

Default Having issue with remote key (not advanced key) as I have to be within 2 feet of car

and on the drivers side, so will take it in and see what is wrong
Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 AM
UrQ

Fixed, there is 1 TSB out there and we had ignition switch problem so that was replaced
Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi Dealership... A great way to kill a morning!

Well, I had an appointment early this morning to have the local Audi dealer look at the key range issue (and sticky parking brake pedal + skipping CD player). After 2+ hours they had fixed the parking brake pedal (a little lube) and the skipping CD changer (software update), but they insisted that the key fobs needed batteries. Now they needed another 20 minutes to change batteries and "reprogram" the keys. I told them I was skeptical due to the following:
1. Exactly the same range for both keys even though only one was ever used.
2. never got any low battery warnings from either key.

I did concede the point after they showed me that they followed the TSB instructions (also posted here BTW) and found no problem. Well, after another 20 minutes and $56 for 2 batteries and 1/2 hr of labor I tried out the keys. Guess what??? Same range, or lack of it.

So I went to the service manager to tell him the problem was not fixed. He looked at me like I was one part crazy and one part royal pain in his ***. As a compromise I told him if he would get keys to another Q7 and go with me to compare the two I would never raise the issue again. So we both went out into the snow storm and did some tests. He was trying to defend the key only consistently working within 5 feet in front of my Q7. Then while standing in that same spot he pressed the key fob for the other Q7 and it woke up across the parking lot at least 60 feet away (to front of the car). Needless to say, he no longer was a skeptic . At this point all he could do was call Audi for some direction. I will post what the mother ship has to say as soon as he calls me back.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL I can imagine his dissapointed face when other one opened!

Quick Reply: Advanced key range issue