Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Any possible performance increase

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any possible performance increase

I am new to the sight and my wife and I are to take delivery of our '11 Q7 3.0 supercharged S-Line in June/July timeframe. I am trying to find out if there is a the possibilty to reflash the ECU or send it off to have it recalibrated to increase performance? A few weeks ago I was reading through a few sites that basically said this and that it would net just over 400 hp, not sure of the bump in torque. This is up from the 333 hp that the S-Line comes from the factory with. The sites seemed to be German but in english. I have also seen you guys talking about APR(?) and Stasis as well.

I know that there are a number of very knowledgeable owners on this site and look forward to your assistance.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering it took two years for to crack it and tune it for the S4 and there is only ONE company who has done it so far, I would say it will be a long time before there is one for a Q7.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Stasis is working on it. I am in contact with the regional rep and he has confirmed that the Q7 is on their agenda to develop an engine tune and exhaust system. They hope to have a tune ready sometime this summer...but no guarantees. If so, I will probably get my 2012 Q7 S-Line (expected late this summer) tuned before my 2011 S4 as I am currently not "dissatisfied" with the level of power in my S4.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

tHERE IS THIS COMPANY CALLED UNITRONIC CHIPPED THEY MAKE A obd II PERFORMACE UPGRADE FOR THE 2007-2010 q7 BITH FOR THE 4.2 AND 3.6. HERE IS A LINK:
http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/aud...fsi_280hp.html
I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY MAKE ONE FOR THE 2011 Q7.
Originally Posted by Symko
I am new to the sight and my wife and I are to take delivery of our '11 Q7 3.0 supercharged S-Line in June/July timeframe. I am trying to find out if there is a the possibilty to reflash the ECU or send it off to have it recalibrated to increase performance? A few weeks ago I was reading through a few sites that basically said this and that it would net just over 400 hp, not sure of the bump in torque. This is up from the 333 hp that the S-Line comes from the factory with. The sites seemed to be German but in english. I have also seen you guys talking about APR(?) and Stasis as well.

I know that there are a number of very knowledgeable owners on this site and look forward to your assistance.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, never heard of Unitronic, would like to hear some real world experience with them.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is unsolicited advice, I know. But you really should drive it first. Let it break-in then drive it, I think you'll find that the 333 is plenty of power given the weight. If you plan to keep it past the warranty, MORE horses and torque are really going to be hard on the drivetrain... it really sounds like a bad idea if you were to ask me.... which you didn't I know, but I couldn't help myself.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

ArU4ic - Having driven my highly tuned WRX and supercharged S2000 trouble-free for well over 8 years, I have to disagree. Modern ECUs allow tuners to actually extract more power while running as reliable - if not more efficient - tunes when compared to factory settings. On top of that we are talking about modest bumps in power of ~20% over stock which is well within most safety factors designed into a typical drivetrain. FYI - both of my vehicles listed above are running >50% over stock in terms of power with not a single issue ( over 100K miles on the WRX).

Very interested to see this progress as I will be looking to upgrade our 2007 Q in the next few years.

Jimbo
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

define 'more efficient'...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherblatz
ArU4ic - Having driven my highly tuned WRX and supercharged S2000 trouble-free for well over 8 years, I have to disagree. Modern ECUs allow tuners to actually extract more power while running as reliable - if not more efficient - tunes when compared to factory settings. On top of that we are talking about modest bumps in power of ~20% over stock which is well within most safety factors designed into a typical drivetrain. FYI - both of my vehicles listed above are running >50% over stock in terms of power with not a single issue ( over 100K miles on the WRX).

Very interested to see this progress as I will be looking to upgrade our 2007 Q in the next few years.

Jimbo
I hear ya jimbo, but I can't agree. I'm not trying to be a combative, really, but it's a bit naive to think that more power, heat, momentum and velocity don't create more wear and tear on a vehicle and the larger the vehicle, the more wear-and-tear. Physics are on my side here.

I've tuned a lot of cars I've had in some form or fashion, and I've always seen less reliability, almost every time. Additionally, you can't compare two automakers like that. An s2000 comes off the lot underpowered, so there is more headroom for tuning. I don't believe that this is so for the Q7 333. It's weight and supercharger make it a totally different vehicle than either of those cars you mentioned.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since ours is the 3.0 supercharged like the S4 not the turbo I am hoping that there is something out there. I was also thinking that the supercharger is a positive displacement super and might be able to do a pulley swap and ECU reflash. Not sure just thinking.

Thanks for all of your tips, I am always open for advice.

Quick Reply: Any possible performance increase