Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

"Audi launches design initiative to deal with criticism that all models look alike."

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Audi launches design initiative to deal with criticism that all models look alike."

Been seeing various versions of this piece (see link) around the web. I can relate to the sedans looking like "sausages of different lengths", and it's too bad that the Q5 looks like a Q7 Junior. However, it's not clear that this similarity *within* classes of vehicles is what Audi is going to address.

http://www.carmagik.com/tag/audi-aqr/

-ark
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everything,
it's a matter of opinion whether looking the same is a good or bad thing
Is it the 1% or 99% that is doing the complaining ?!?

Since we have a large SUV, we didn't want another large car for the wife's daily commute,
so the style of the Q was THE deciding factor for us as the other baby suv's just looked out of proportion and lacked "IT".
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find myself always being corrected by my wife. "Oh, look our neighbor got an A6"..."no honey, that's an A4"

All the "A" cars look the same to me except the A3, A7 and A5 convertible. Q7 & Q5 look the same but the size difference is more obvious to my eye.

It almost sounds from that article like Audi is missing the entire point of people's complaints. Nobody wants to drop massive coin on an A8 and then have it taken for an A4. I don't think people are complaining that the Qs look too much like the TTs or anything. To me the big issue is within the A4/5/6/8 cars and Q3/5/7 perhaps. This is where the cars are really "sausages of a different length".
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

personally i think BMW suffers from the same issue..especially since they made the 3 series bigger. what i used to tell my wife is truer now, "the 3 looks too much like the 5 looks too much like the 7"

anyway i agree that Audi has the same issue with their A cars and i cannot for the life of me figure why there isnt something outside of a badge to differentiate an A4 from the much more expensive S4. the interior styling is nicer but i would want something more on the outside...but again its the same as what BMW does with their M series

yea the Q5 is a smaller Q7...just like the X3 is a smaller X5...that never bothered me too much because i never have trouble telling the SUVs apart

i will say tho that when you get to the A7/A8 size....you arent gonna confuse that with the smaller ones