Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake light came on after 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

At 20K miles I would have replaced the rotors with the pads so they did right. You should try to brake in the pads yourself. http://www.audiction.com/audi-tuning...m_medium=email
Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
At 20K miles I would have replaced the rotors with the pads so they did right. You should try to brake in the pads yourself. http://www.audiction.com/audi-tuning...m_medium=email
Ours had 25K and the dealer told us our pads were shot, but the rotors were fine(for the CPO inspection). We had no vibration before and with the new pads they seem fine as well. Why replace them if you can get two uses?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I followed the instructions from the Hawk company to break in my pads and after a few days they were awesome. The stopping power and feel were very good.

However, last week I brought my car to the Audi dealer for Audi Care service and they flushed the brake fluid, and ever since, the feel of the brakes is not as strong. Is that normal? Will the stopping power come back like before? I know the brake pads are working fine, but the feel is not the same after they flushed the brake fluid. Any idea why?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UW RL
So I followed the instructions from the Hawk company to break in my pads and after a few days they were awesome. The stopping power and feel were very good.

However, last week I brought my car to the Audi dealer for Audi Care service and they flushed the brake fluid, and ever since, the feel of the brakes is not as strong. Is that normal? Will the stopping power come back like before? I know the brake pads are working fine, but the feel is not the same after they flushed the brake fluid. Any idea why?
It sounds like they didn't get all the air out of the lines. I'd bring it back and ask them to properly bleed the system; and don't take any BS about the non-OEM pads.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Newest update:

So I brought my Q7 back to the dealer and explained the problem. Of course they blamed on my "non-Audi" rotors and pads. After much explanation and communication, and testing driving another Q7, they decided to reflush the brake fluid. It is done by a machine, they said. They also replaced the ignition coils per recall.

I just drove my Q7 back and have found virtually no difference in stopping power. What the heck is going on?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UW RL
Newest update:

So I brought my Q7 back to the dealer and explained the problem. Of course they blamed on my "non-Audi" rotors and pads. After much explanation and communication, and testing driving another Q7, they decided to reflush the brake fluid. It is done by a machine, they said. They also replaced the ignition coils per recall.

I just drove my Q7 back and have found virtually no difference in stopping power. What the heck is going on?
From my experience w/ ceramic brake pads (Hawks, Akebono, EBC Red) I noted that braking power is reduced when installing ceramic pads, and there is "less bite" when pushing the pedal, some say it's OK to use ceramic on rear axel, but not on the front. Note that other poster used Hawks LTS pads, not ceramic.