Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Conundrum....do I get a Q7 TDI or Range Rover HSE...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Conundrum....do I get a Q7 TDI or Range Rover HSE...?

Hi Audi Gang! I've been away from the Audi world for a few years. My current driver is a 2017 Volkswagen GTI SE with the DSG, Leather Seats, Lighting Package, Fender...etc....it's a wonderful car with 41k miles on it, no issues whatsoever. I drive about 80 or 90 miles a day, so the GTI has been quite economical getting around 33 - 34 mpg. But as I get older and more feeble, I am looking at something more comfortable. I'm a VW / Audi guy and love about every vehicle VAG makes. I had a Q7 in the past with the 4.2 and air suspension, had issues with oil and coolant leaks at the right-rear of the motor - massive amount of work, skinned knuckles, and frustration to finally fix it. Never the less I loved that Q7 but my wife was fed up with all the work I had in it. Now on the flip side....I've always had a "thing" for the L322 Range Rover full sized SUV's, I think the interiors are beautiful and they drive very nicely when maintained. Finding a proper L322 with good history is a big challenge, I've found a couple of candidates that are nice, one of them has had the infamous timing chain guides and tensioners upgraded which is the big worry with these vehicles. But I'm also thinking about a Q7 TDI as this would give me a great compromise between comfort and economy, but I worry about the emissions equipment and HPFP issues, I've read some horror stories. I'm familiar with VAG vehicles and have worked on many over the years, I also have vag-com which is essential. I do not have any mechanical experience with Rovers but I'm pretty sure I could handle it, just need to get a proper scan tool. I've been watching youtube videos, searching the various forums, trying to decide which way to go. I welcome any feedback on this.....thank you...!

2012 to 2015 Audi Q7 TDI:
The Positives: 1) I've owned / worked on many Audis over the years so I'm familiar. 2) I have Vag-Com. 3) Excellent fuel economy for my daily commute.
The Negatives: 1) Timing chains & guides issues. 2) Timing chains & guides are at the rear of the engine. 3) Diesel emissions equipment failing

2010 to 2012 Range Rover HSE (non-supercharged):
The Positives: 1) Beautiful interiors. 2) Wonderful driving vehicle. 3) Timing chains & guides are at the front of the engine.
The Negatives: 1) Timing chains & guides issues. 2) Suspension system is rather high maintenance. 3) Poor fuel economy.

Last edited by testarossaguy; 12-09-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts
Default Q7 TDI For Sale, Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Originally Posted by testarossaguy
Hi Audi Gang! .
@YotoWerks

Interesting ask, lol. This is a very poor time to be shopping for a nice used car of any sort, but if you want to find a very nice example, there are several members on here with relatively low mileage cars, still well inside the TDI 'dieselgate' extended warranty, that are loaded up with creature comforts, and more importantly, are for sale. FYI, the TDI warranty covers all those pesky leak and parts failures that typically creep up on the Q7 after 100k miles. I've got two TDI Prestige trim Q7's, a '10 and '15, both under warranty. We wouldn't have bought them except for the TDI warranty ensuring we don't get 'stuck' with a lot of expensive repairs to the known wear parts and common leaks, etc., they develop over time.

No way would I recommend you buy a Q7 TDI that is not under extended warranty protection, unless it's already had everything on it replaced by the warranty prior . Of course there are some rarer examples of very low mileage 4L chassis still out there, if you can locate one.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello '10Q7TDI_Prestige'...thank you for your input. I looked in the Audiworld Marketplace and only see one TDI Q7 for sale, but it's white and not my first choice of colors. I have found what "appears" to be a very nice 1-Owner, 2013 Q7 TDI in Medium Gray with Beige & Gray Interior, 20" wheels, heated & cooled seats front & rear, air suspension, and tow package, with 126k miles. The diesel-gate recall was done in May of 2014. Price is around $17k. Regarding my current ride - 2017 VW GTI, I paid $20,200 a little over a year ago, and now Carvana has offered me $24,770....hard to believe.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello '10Q7TDI_Prestige'...thank you for your input. I looked in the Audiworld Marketplace and only see one TDI Q7 for sale, but it's white and not my first choice of colors. I have found what "appears" to be a very nice 1-Owner, 2013 Q7 TDI in Medium Gray with Beige & Gray Interior, 20" wheels, heated & cooled seats front & rear, air suspension, and tow package, with 126k miles. The diesel-gate recall was done in May of 2014. Price is around $17k. Regarding my current ride - 2017 VW GTI, I paid $20,200 a little over a year ago, and now Carvana has offered me $24,770....hard to believe.
Sounds like a nice one. Our '15 is a Daytona Grey Pearl, and it's gorgeous. That's a super-low price in current market if it's actually in good shape inside/out. You'd definitely want to make inquiry on the service history/repair records under TDI warranty to be sure they aren't just trying to 'pass the buck', since it's just outside the warranty window now. I would definitely do a pre-purchase/mechanic inspection if buying it, just to be sure those telltale big $$, leaks aren't coming your way. Otherwise it sounds like a steal. If it is a car dealer selling that car for such a low price (in this market), you should be very cautious. A year ago, that would have been a reasonable price for a '13 with that mileage on it. Be advised there is an Audi Service Action #23Z9 when reviewing service records on it. That campaign is reactive only, but gets rid of the de-tuned feel from the initial 'dieselgate' emissions fix. It came avail Jan 2020, and many TDI owners (2013-2015 model year cars) were unaware of it. Huge difference.

Make note of the Carvana offer on your GTI, which is wholesale; they'd flip that car in a day. Unless that Q7 is being offered from the owner direct, it is suspiciously low priced, even though the owner already got all the kickback $$ from the 'dieselgate' scandal, and so is still making 'bank'.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 12-09-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I checked on the TDI Recall, it was performed in March 2019 at 122k miles....so this Q7 is covered until March 2023 or 170k miles...whichever comes first. I will be calling this dealer today....
Old 12-09-2021, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I checked on the TDI Recall, it was performed in March 2019 at 122k miles....so this Q7 is covered until March 2023 or 170k miles...whichever comes first. I will be calling this dealer today....
So you get two concurrent running warranty periods from the TDI settlement for North America, 10yr/120k miles from in-service date, and a 4yr/48k miles from date of actual TDI emissions fix (or from first resale date post-fix, if it was a 'buyback' car). The 23Z9 is not the emissions fix, it's a software update that returns the car back to excellent driving manners again, post-emissions fix. If the owner didn't get car emissions 'fixed' until the deadline, then you would still be inside the warranty window (4yrs/48k miles) from the date it was first emissions 'fixed' by Audi/VW. It's probable that non-audi sellers don't realize the additional 4/48k miles from date of emissions fix, as you have to actually read it to understand that.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 12-09-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've done a lot of searching and reading about the expected longevity of the TDI engines, but after hours of going over many threads....I'm still not sure what to expect? I see a few youtube vids of timing chain replacements - which look fairly straight forward except for being AT THE BACK SIDE OF THE MOTOR...!!! If they were at the front, I could do this myself, but being at the rear requires dropping the transmission, etc....not an easy DIY job. Some folks are saying the TDI engine would be lucky to see 200k miles before a rebuild is needed? I would think this would be fairly easy to achieve with proper oil changes, etc.

All feedback...positive or negative....is welcomed. Thank You....
Old 12-10-2021, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There's a number of members who've posted they have over 200k miles on the TDI powertrain with no timing chain issues, ever. They've just experienced all the usual oil/fluid seal leaks, which you already know about. Most generalized longevity estimates I've seen online say 200-250k miles is quite reasonable. You won't see that if you don't change your driveline's fluids regularly too.

When audi drops the engine to R&R the main engine oil seal leaks, they really strip it completely down to where timing chains are exposed, and if there is a failure issue they will replace them under warranty. Most often though, the timing chains are fine, just a bit worn-in on guides/tensioners, etc., as one might expect after 100k + miles on the engine. Audi often 'recommends' the owner pay to replace the timing chains/guides/tensioners while the engine is down as a preventative maintenance action while the techs are able to access them easily. Many TDI owners go ahead and do this if they are planning to keep the car long-term, since the $ cost to drop the engine out via Audi for timing chain replacement in a post-warranty scenario is extremely high. Extremely high.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Kudos to @KevinGary "Here is a link to the TSB identifying all of the individual items covered by the Diesel Settlement warranty."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44660-9999.pdf

Just be aware that Audi has created a 'scheduled future failure' (SFF) event of the driveline by dictating that the tranny, differentials, transfer case fluids are "lifetime fill fluids", and therefore do not need to be included on the normal maintenance schedule, or changed, ever. This is, of course, ludicrous guidance, if you want your car to last. The tranny maker says you need regular scheduled fluid change intervals to make it last; same goes for transfer case, differentials front/rear, etc. The reason for the "lifetime fill" is simply to make it appear to have lower operating/maintenance costs, and because Audi is not on the hook by the time those fluids 'cook' themselves into oblivion.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 12-10-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well Gang....unfortunately that 2013 Q7 TDI I was checking out has had the left-rear quarter panel repainted. It's in absolutely gorgeous shape everywhere, but I just can't live with looking at that every day....so I'm passing . But the search continues....

Quick Reply: Conundrum....do I get a Q7 TDI or Range Rover HSE...?