Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

ESP fault vehicle shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESP fault vehicle shuts off

I have an 08 4.2 and I was driving doing about 75 and the vehicle shut of giving me the warning ESP fault and head light range control defective .. has anyone had this happen ... Luckily I was able to get to the break down lane ..What's going on ..
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BC1999
I have an 08 4.2 and I was driving doing about 75 and the vehicle shut of giving me the warning ESP fault and head light range control defective .. has anyone had this happen ... Luckily I was able to get to the break down lane ..What's going on ..
Had the exact same thing happen about two weeks ago. It turns out that after a humongous rain storm, water had got into the ECM and created big problems! There are drains that are supposed to get water away from there, but they were plugged with leaves, and dust. Technician took it all apart, dried everything overnight, put it all back together and resealed the unit. So far so good, and only had to pay for a few hours labour, and not the close to 5 grand that they originally told me the cost would be to replace everything. Check those drains for sure...hope this helps!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOO I did have the drains clogged noticed the wk before when I took to brushless carwash and the driver foot was wet took it back (carmax) had then clean the drains. Im presuming they countinued testing with more water to determine were it was. After that is when I got the problem so took it bk to carmax they took it to Audi and they said the PCM was no good ordered new part said it was covered under the 8/80k so no cost and I got them to change my battery with new one for free lol .. Suppose to pick up this weekend so will see..

Originally Posted by New2Q
Had the exact same thing happen about two weeks ago. It turns out that after a humongous rain storm, water had got into the ECM and created big problems! There are drains that are supposed to get water away from there, but they were plugged with leaves, and dust. Technician took it all apart, dried everything overnight, put it all back together and resealed the unit. So far so good, and only had to pay for a few hours labour, and not the close to 5 grand that they originally told me the cost would be to replace everything. Check those drains for sure...hope this helps!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BC1999
SOO I did have the drains clogged noticed the wk before when I took to brushless carwash and the driver foot was wet took it back (carmax) had then clean the drains. Im presuming they countinued testing with more water to determine were it was. After that is when I got the problem so took it bk to carmax they took it to Audi and they said the PCM was no good ordered new part said it was covered under the 8/80k so no cost and I got them to change my battery with new one for free lol .. Suppose to pick up this weekend so will see..
Good luck!! Hope all turns out well!!
Old 06-12-2021, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by New2Q

where are the drains located? the exact thing happened to me this week.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 595 Posts

Daniella, sent you a private message (PM) regards to plenum drains