Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

A Faulty ACC and the mystery connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A Faulty ACC and the mystery connectors

Preface - 2015 Q7 S-Line Sports Edition.

So everything was going great and working fine, no errors. That was until I had to take the Q7 in to have the front bumper repainted. In the process of repainting they had to remove the bumper from the car. So when we got her back the Adaptive Cruise Control no longer works. When we originally bought the car we had the same issue. To solve it that time we had to replace the license plate bracket with the integrated heater, which plugged into the harness behind the bumper since it was missing. With that history I looked to see if the paint shop had left it unplugged. Looking behind the bumper I found not just one but 2 connectors that were not connected, both a flat 3 connector with 2 conductors in each. Both connectors are part of the wiring harness that is tethered to the back of the bumper. So I took the car back to the paint shop and they took the front bumper off again to see if we could find the 2 mating connectors. We were able to find one of the mating connectors (the heater in the license plate bracket) but we were never able to find a second mating connectors. So my question is what am I missing? What is supposed to plug into that second flat 3 connector? Is there a component the body shop left off when they put the car back together? What am I missing?

short version:
Adaptive Cruise Control stopped working after body shop removed the front bumper, after it was reinstalled 2 connectors were found disconnected, both flat 3 connectors. Found one connected to the ACC heater in the license plate bracket but can't find what the other one is supposed to be connected to. What connects to the second connector.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Air temp sensor maybe? Or parking aid sensor?

Last edited by GTPlus; 07-22-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTPlus
Air temp sensor maybe? Or parking aid sensor?
Nope, air temp sensor is in front of the radiator and connected, and all the parking aid sensors are connected to respective plugs.

So confused at this point. I don't see anything else there for the second connector to connect to. The 2 disconnected connectors were found sitting about half way between the center line of the car and the drivers side headlight, about halfway up (behind the license plate bracket). That was the other reason I figured, and was right, that at least one of them went to the ACC license plate bracket heater They are bifurcate off of the bumper wiring loom.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

thats an actual K band radar antenna not a heater.. thats why our ACC and BSM sets off everyone's police detectors heh.. AFIK thats the only component in the bumper for ACC. there may need to be a calibration done.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

So went and did a little more looking last night and for some reason started looking BEHIND the core support. Lucky that I did because between the driver's side headlight and the radiator I found a flat 3, 2 pin male connector sitting there looking back at me looking for a partner. It took some finagling but I was able to reroute the second connector that I had originally found disconnect and it plugged right in. So of the 2 connectors I found disconnected behind the bumper after the body shops worked on it (1 with ​​​​a short length of wire, the second had a longer length of wire, coming off the bumper loom wiring loom). So ultimately of the originally found disconnected connectors, the connector with the short length plugged in to the connector from the ACC heater on the back of the license plate bracket, and the one with the long length of wire plugged into the connector the originates from behind the driver's side headlight (see red arrow in pic). After reconnecting those two connectors I took the Q out for a test drive and everything was back to working like normal.

(It is kind of hard to see but the connector I found last night comes off of the wiring loom just below that yellow connector, travels up over that yellow connnector and then I had to route it thru the core support to reconnect it to the connector in the bumper wiring loom)