Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Got Parasitic Battery Drain from Door Handles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number 15 didn't work

Prehistory
Got Q7 2015 in Premium plus with keyless
3 of 4 door handles are not working (assume - disconnected) already
Recently, spotted parasitic battery draining by random occasions,
Also, the drivers handle, the last working, started to skip touches randomly as well

Disconnected the Number 15 from the pin and checked for 24 hours
The battery drainage remained, but seemed slower, lower this time
The charger shows 2 of 5 bars and around 12V, comparing to 0 to 1 and around 9V previous times

Next approach - disconnect the button for closing at handle to see if it's also involved
Stay tuned
Old 01-28-2024, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update

It took at least 24 hours to see that Number 15 doesn't work
Took another approach to try to see how other door handles been disabled, so
Removed the door panel, expecting to see the pin was disconnected from the handle from the inside

When I opened it, I found out that it is connected, but black square button
And sensor of handle doesn't work, well, as been before
So, the solution to disconnect the pin from drivers handle won't make any effect as well

Guessing how other handles been disabled and really not sure what to do
Tomorrow the daughters school starts and I'll have to drive her twice a day but with this drainage
I will be simply unable. Seeking for the solution more, not giving it up

P.S. Removed the door panel and was ugly shocked
The sound insulation is skinny as hell and the overall quality of materials are damn ****ty
Comparing it with my previous 2007 Q7, where there was a big fat blanket of insulation and very solid plastic
Old 01-28-2024, 04:27 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Andriy_Sharapov
Update

It took at least 24 hours to see that Number 15 doesn't work
Pulling 15 didn't work for me either. I unpulled the door handle.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 222 Posts

I removed door panels and pulled the plugs. I don't recall now.... There are two plugs up near the handle, and you want to pull the "little" one. The other should remain connected.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Guys, this is insanity!

The drivers door handle is working and stable
The multimeter showed that it is operable
Also tested every fuse box and there was NO leak

But the battery still showing around 9V and keeps discharging
The battery itself is Bosh S4, so must be fitting the specs

I don't understand what is going on, anybody can please give a hint?
Old 02-08-2024, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks guys, I even registered here for saying my thanks for this thread!
Having the problem for a long time in my '14 Q7, always battery drained and lotsa errors in the log.
Today I found this thread and immediately cut those cables. Restart, errors deleted, rescan - no errors! Great job!
(at first there was a "no connection" error with the doors, but for now it's gone)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 742 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by stahlsau
thanks guys, I even registered here for saying my thanks for this thread!
Having the problem for a long time in my '14 Q7, always battery drained and lotsa errors in the log.
Today I found this thread and immediately cut those cables. Restart, errors deleted, rescan - no errors! Great job!
(at first there was a "no connection" error with the doors, but for now it's gone)
Glad it helped.
Funny timing as I just got another error on mine for driver's door external button grounded, so time to unplug that handle now, which leaves me with only one door handle still fully functional (proximity sensor and the external button work 100% perfectly on driver's-side rear door, so it is still very convenient) Already unplugged both passenger-side doors at the handle base to stop drains since their external buttons were grounded/frozen in place, which confuses the entry system and is a source of battery drain, etc.

If you unplug or snip/depin a wire, you've changed the circuit to an 'open' state, and should expect to see a recurring fault/error message telling you it detected an open circuit on each door (handle) you have 'managed'.

This is the expected result, and accurately reflects the action taken.

Be aware the door handles are just the most common source on a Q7 for parasitic battery drains, but this car has so many sensors/electronics in combo with multiple known water drain leaks or clogs, etc. that any individual car could develop other ground faults and/or component failures (stereo amplifier, ECU damage, etc) related simply to water damage.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Is it just a better idea to unplug the handle wire from the inside of the door? I did push my pins out of the door harness a long time ago, but it seems like I fixed one thing and created a permanent issue (codes). Plus, I kinda feel the battery might still drain a little. My push start option never came back, even with a brand new OEM battery. I don't see a code for that, not sure what happened.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 742 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
Is it just a better idea to unplug the handle wire from the inside of the door? I did push my pins out of the door harness a long time ago, but it seems like I fixed one thing and created a permanent issue (codes). Plus, I kinda feel the battery might still drain a little. My push start option never came back, even with a brand new OEM battery. I don't see a code for that, not sure what happened.
Having done it both ways now, I'd say you definitely need to unplug those handles inside the door panel.

Personally, I really like the convenience those exterior buttons offer, as I can leave the fob in my pocket...especially since car thieves have gotten much smarter and now use electronic tools to capture remote key fob actuator signals these days. Now that a few of my handle door buttons have ground faulted, I go in and unplug them inside the door panel at base of handle, which is actually pretty simple, but you do need to watch some video to learn the best method for trim removal to not break anything in the process...there are specific point to pry on, and not to pry on, etc., when removing the fancy trim / plastic covers to reveal the fastener locations for removing the door panel, then there are the friction fasteners around the periphery of panel, etc.

You will still have drains if you only snipped/depinned at the pillar, since those exterior door lock buttons still function, at least until they finally stop functioning by grounding out, indicating a parasitic drain...need to unplug the handle at that point.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Ok, yeah my buttons aren't functioning either so I need to do the handle plugs. I watched a video on the door panel teardown, it only showed the location of 3 screws. When I attempted it I found there are actually 4, and not knowing this caused me to chip the wood trim by the interior handle. Maybe there are 4 on the 07' and not later years?

Quick Reply: Got Parasitic Battery Drain from Door Handles?