Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace interior bulbs with LEDs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muski
I just checked this and found the same behavior. If you close the doors and wait a few minutes the lights do go dim, but as soon as you open the door everything comes back bright. I never tested this with the regular bulbs, so I can't say what the normal behavior is. Funny that I never noticed this before, but I rarely sit in the car with the ignition completely off so it never bothered me.
Muski, would you recommend this change? I've got a 2012 TDI Q7 and considering on my '04 A8 I had wires melt, worried about the wrong bulbs on the Q7. You seem to have a bit invested in your Audi's so you found the risk rewarding enough?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had these bulbs in my wife's Q7 for about three years now and haven't had any problems at all (no melted wires).

I really like the look and I don't have to worry about battery drain if somehow a bulb gets left on.

I've also replaced the three bulbs on my A7 that weren't LEDs and no problems there either.

So, yes, I think it's a worthy upgrade.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I have now had my white LEDs installed for 6 months. I would not go back to the yellow glow of the OEMs. My concerns noted below are really minimal and in real life have not affected us at all -- basically we never sit in the car with the ignition off. Even if I am waiting for someone, accessories are on listening to the radio, and in that case the lights work perfectly. Tunerdomes was great, one of the initial license plate LED did not work right, and they sent out a replacement even before I sent the bad one in. Since then, all LEDs have been flawless. I love the look.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muski
I've had these bulbs in my wife's Q7 for about three years now and haven't had any problems at all (no melted wires).

I really like the look and I don't have to worry about battery drain if somehow a bulb gets left on.

I've also replaced the three bulbs on my A7 that weren't LEDs and no problems there either.

So, yes, I think it's a worthy upgrade.
Did you LED bulb flickering/on/off issue with ignition off ever correct itself- or did you learn to live with it? Is this saying that with the ignition key OFF, but in the front or 2nd row, if I choose to turn on the map lights- it will flicker or not come on at all? (Scenario: wife is in 2nd row with baby and ignition is turned off. She wants lighting in the 2nd row to keep baby entertained or look for something. Will that LED light stay on, flicker dim like a strobe light(?), or blink once, then stay off?)

Thanks for the clarification. (Btw, this will be for a '12 Q7.)
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Did you LED bulb flickering/on/off issue with ignition off ever correct itself- or did you learn to live with it? Is this saying that with the ignition key OFF, but in the front or 2nd row, if I choose to turn on the map lights- it will flicker or not come on at all? (Scenario: wife is in 2nd row with baby and ignition is turned off. She wants lighting in the 2nd row to keep baby entertained or look for something. Will that LED light stay on, flicker dim like a strobe light(?), or blink once, then stay off?)

Thanks for the clarification. (Btw, this will be for a '12 Q7.)
If ignition completely off, no radio, basically like you are not in the vehicle: Map lights dim, 2nd row light will flicker on once, then no light, and glove box flicker once and no light. If you have accessories on, all works normal. In my situation, no one ever sits in car without power on (iPads, music, wifi, aux heat, playing with MMI etc), so this is no problem in the way we use the Q7. I thought it maybe, but if someone is sitting in car waiting, accessories are on, otherwise boredom sets in 10 microseconds.