Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

must replace all 4 tires at once?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavila
Complete B.S.

I went to look at a CPO A5 at a dealer and...Front tires have been replaced. Rears have not. I asked to see the complete service records for the car and those verified what I saw. Basically, Audi is happy to have customers pay to have all four tires replaced, but see fit to replace only two themselves for a CPO car. If two rear tires at 50% wear are fine for a CPO car, I'm guessing they are okay for everyone else.
This is different. OP has 2 tires at wear indicators and 2 that are 80% worn. That is a big difference from 50%.

OP - If it's any consolation, you can probably get $100 for your front 2 tires off Craigslist.

Jimbo
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mavila
Complete B.S.

I have 2 Audis currently - a 2002 A4 and a 2008 Q7 and have always heard the exact same things from both the Audi dealer as well as Tire Rack and Americas Tire, where I am a frequent customer. I am about to buy my 3rd Audi and have been looking at A5s and S5s for my wife. I went to look at a CPO A5 at a dealer and guess what I see as I'm inspecting the car closely? Front pads and rotors have been replaced. Rears have not. Front tires have been replaced. Rears have not. I asked to see the complete service records for the car and those verified what I saw. Basically, Audi is happy to have customers pay to have all four tires replaced, but see fit to replace only two themselves for a CPO car. If two rear tires at 50% wear are fine for a CPO car, I'm guessing they are okay for everyone else. That or they will tell they buyer of this car in a few months to replace all four tires because the fronts and rears are worn unevenly. I have to say I was irritated after seeing this.

BTW, I have seen this now on TWO different A5s at two different dealers. Mismatches on front/rear wear items. On the other A5, front tires were new. Rears were not. All four brake pads were new, but only the front rotors were replaced. Rear rotors were worn. I'm sure they were within spec, but something tells me if this were my car and I brought it in they'd have told me to replace the rear rotors along with the fronts. But hey, we will certify this as CPO just fine.

I will bet that you will see CPO cars with mismatched tires frequently given I have now seen two (and have only looked at three). Just look at cars in that 25K - 40K mileage range right when tires on many of the models really need replacing and make your own call. Audi (or at least these two Bay Area dealers) will sell you a CPO car with only two new tires.
FWIW I'm currently considering a 2011 S5 Cab, CPO, with 26K miles on it. The dealer just put 4 new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on it.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a different thought. I found the Parada Spec X's to soft when driving enthusiastically. I originally put them on back in the Summer of 09. Glad I bought them at Discount as they let me out of them after 3 weeks. Originally I thought the tire was great and thought the same as you you. Unfortunately I noticed a bit of tire bend when driving enthusiastically over some twisty mountain passes. We use our Q7 for a fair amount of driving in situations like these and with 2 kids, a dog, and all the extra "stuff" that comes along I began to dislike the characteristics of this tire, plus this tire offers no curb protection to the the wheel like the OEM Cont's do.

I put the OEM Conti's back on and haven't looked back. Sure they cost a bit more and do not last as long but I feel they fit the driving characteristics better for the Q7. Looked at the Michelin's to but they were even more money :-(
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW we put on a set of Firestone Destination ST after reading the positive reviews on TireRack and I am very impressed after the first 5K miles including quite a bit of wet driving. To me, the best tires are the ones you don't notice - they just quietly do their job. Dry and wet handling have been exceptional and wear appears to be much better than the stock Contis. Best of all they are priced similar to The Yoko Parada Spec-X, but have better rim protection.

Surprised more Q7 owners aren't checking them out.

Jimbo
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

just a general question to all.

i see many here have different brands that they like but im wondering how/where you bought the tires? my local dealers NTB/GY/Pepoys, etc... dont deal in a great deal of brands and always wind up telling me that they have that size tire....just from whatever maker they carry

are you guys getting the tires online (tirerack, etc...) and having them shipped to a installer? if so, how was that experience? i have seen reviews from some people who said that installers said the tires hadnt shipped when they did or that the machine they use might mark up your wheels

obviously the dealer will take care of everything while charging lots more per tire so i want to avoid that. will dealers install tires i bought online?

I think i have the Pirelli Scorps at around 19K, but my wife drives like a crazy person so im gonna have to deal with this sooner than later
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found my dealer will order directly from Tire Rack and match the exact price. They only charge $59.99 to uninstall the old tires, reinstall the new tires, and balancing is included.

Anytime I have the dealer match prices from an Indy shop or online pricing I always use them.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
just a general question to all.

i see many here have different brands that they like but im wondering how/where you bought the tires? my local dealers NTB/GY/Pepoys, etc... dont deal in a great deal of brands and always wind up telling me that they have that size tire....just from whatever maker they carry
A GOOD tire dealer/installer will get whatever tire YOU want, not excuses.

Discount Tire I deal with and have for years did not have one tire I wanted recently (except trailer tires). 4 vehicles and 1 trailer and all new tires in 2 week time span.

Wanted Michelin wide whitewalls for wife's 2002 Tbird, they got them from diamondback...michelin pilots with wide white wall.

Wanted Toyo proxes stII for 2010 Audi Q7, they did not carry Toyos at all, got them 2 days later and installed and mounted/road force balanced for free since they didn't carry them.

Wanted Nitto Invos for 2005 SSR, they did not carry Nittos, 3 days later they were mounted on truck, think they got 'em from tire rack.

Wanted new carlisle tires for my little 5x8 trailer plus spare, these they had in stock...mounted while trailer sat in the parking lot after detaching from SSR that was gettin the new nittos.

Wanted new oem run flats for the wife's 2007 mini cooper s jcw...not stocked, took care of me the next day.

Point is; discount wanted my business and have always gone above and beyond to retain it. Find someone that services you in that way and seems to care about what they do and keeping the customer satisfied.

Oh, and a few years ago I wanted to put toyo proxes st on the 2005 ssr and discount didn't have them...I ordered them from Tire Rack because I had a discount as a group buy and had them shipped to discount tire...they mounted/balanced them and only charged me for that...no questions asked.

Last edited by LOP; 04-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LOP
A GOOD tire dealer/installer will get whatever tire YOU want, not excuses.
thanks guys

i went to TireRack.com and after looking over the install prices (including the little fees like disposal, stems, TPMS etc...) the cheapest i saw for a 45R tire is about $25 per tire. i called the NTB down the street from me to verify they are an installer and he said he was and it might take about 2-3 days to get the tires and all the pricing is on the site

still kinda torn between getting another set of the OEM Pirelli scorps and the Yoko paradas that everyone reviews so highly. the set of Pirellis is about $150 more. being at 19K on the ones i have now, im thinking anything between 20-25K is about average mileage out of this tire.

i asked the wife if she had any noise/comfort complaints and she had no idea what i was talking about, so the only real reason to switch would be the price....cant imagine the Yokos will give me too much more mileage
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys, some good points on this thread. I bought my 2008 Q7 last August and it also had a brand new set of Goodyear LS tires, new rotors and pads for the front only. Upon visual inspection, the rears looked ok. The Q had 23k miles so they were most likely the original ones. The car drove fine up until about last month, I can't stand road nise and these Goodyears just about drive me crazy. They sound like truck tires, in fact the rears have worn down quite a bit since we've put 10k miles on them. The fronts still look great.

The brakes work great but sqeel like crazy and are annoying as hell, dirty too. I just got the brake pad warning sensor most likely from the rear.

I've been buying tires from tire rack for years now, I like reading the surveys and reviews and I'm usually a happy customer. The tires will normally ship out of their Delaware warehouse so I usually get the tires the next day via ups ground. I just ordered a set of Prielli Scorpian Verde tires in the 275/45 R20. Among all the all season tires they sell in this size they have excellent reviews and survey remarks. I was really going for a quiet and comfortable ride, so well see how these do. I will usually go through the website to get my order ready for checkout, then I call them and make the purchase over the phone.

I also got a set of Hawk Ceramic pads based on the recess and feedback seen on this forum.

I have an independent shop specializing in Audi and Porsche close to my house and they will be doing the installation. They did say that I may have to get a new set of rotors for the rear if they're down too much.

I will keep the front Goodyear LS tires as spares and maybe sell them for cheap.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m&autoModClar=
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am a AWD noob and never knew about this. I been driving my Audi Q7 with the 2-front tires at 5/32 tread depth and the 2-rear tires at 7/32 tread depth for at least 10,000 miles now. Is my Q7 transmission pretty much screwed then?

Quick Reply: must replace all 4 tires at once?