Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

My New TDI Pics 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks. I got the TDI mostly as you noted....for long trips. However, I must say, in "S" mode around town, it is a blast to drive.

With regards to the sunroof, I am just not a sunroof fan. I have yet to have a car that does not "buffet" and pulsate with the sunroof open, to a level that is uncomfortable for me. The size and complexity also seemed like a problem waiting to happen. I know I am in the minority, and I respect those who love the sunroof. Just not for me.

Mike
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Thanks. I got the TDI mostly as you noted....for long trips. However, I must say, in "S" mode around town, it is a blast to drive.

With regards to the sunroof, I am just not a sunroof fan. I have yet to have a car that does not "buffet" and pulsate with the sunroof open, to a level that is uncomfortable for me. The size and complexity also seemed like a problem waiting to happen. I know I am in the minority, and I respect those who love the sunroof. Just not for me.

Mike
I concur with you on that! Hence why my Q7 has no sunroof too.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sunroof is nice for dark winter days, but a pain every other day. Mine still creaks and rattles intermittently
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pur-ty! Congrats.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very nice.

May I ask if what "mode" the air suspension was on in this photos? Or is this the natural height of the Q?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like dynamic.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have it set in "dynamic mode". Not sure if it stays in that mode when turned off, but I find dynamic the best all around mode.

Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm trying to get an idea of ride height. Is dynamic lower than a vehicle without adaptive air suspension?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice options! I club race BMWs and haul about 4000 lbs. The torque of the TDI seems awesome (as it should @ 410). 1 short test drive but I'm still unsure about trading my very reliable LR3. Have you towed with yours? Also, how much range does the air suspension have? My LR3 has it (6-8 inches of travel) and it's so nice to use when hooking up my trailer by myself. Set to low, back up to trailer, raise to high setting, and it hooks into the trailer without having to do anything else.
I bet the non sunroof Q7 weighs 100+ lbs less than with it. That thing is gigantic and complex!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have not had a chance to tow yet, but that is one reason why I purchased the TDI with the air suspension and towing package. My 911 SC is a track car and is what I will be towing. Unfortunately, it is in storage as of last weekend until next March.... Not sure about the range of the air suspension, but I do know that you can lower the back significantly which aids hooking up a trailer and loading items in the back. My understanding is that the air suspension is great for leveling, etc. when towing. Others who have more experience can chime in with their real experiences.

You also hit the nail on the head regarding the sunroof. It has to translate to significant weight savings, and I did not want to worry about leaks, rattles and malfunctions.

Quick Reply: My New TDI Pics 1