Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

OEM Tow Hitch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts

There you go! Thanks for that, @Jayhawk94 , I'd have spent long hours finding it! I do have the Redarc, and it works quite well. I ended up installing mine just above the instrument cluster on the right side for easy access (and it really saved my butt having it there!) . It was quite difficult to get it mounted in there, but worth the effort. The trickiest part was locating the hole, and I ended up getting it a little too close to the plastic buttressing around the speedometer/fuel gauge housing. However, once I drilled the hole, I wasn't going to locate another one and leave an ugly scar there, so my son removed the Redarc remote from its plastic housing so it would fit in the space available. I then took a rubber band, wrapped it around the dial stem so it held tight and had a big loop to grab, ran a "fishing" wire down through the hole into the foot well, then just hooked the rubber band and carefully fished it up through the hole.

I know there are others who located it down low on the left side in the kick panel, but I don't think that's a practical spot if you actually need to do any manual operation of the trailer brakes.

Photo from fall 2022; sorry for the nasty dirtiness! We were on the tail end of a long trip.

The following users liked this post:
GeriatricGinger (02-09-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine.

medium.jpg

Last edited by 4Driver4; 02-11-2023 at 08:55 AM.
GeriatricGinger (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

I'll prolly go this locations for 2 reasons:
1. I do not have dual power ports in my shift console; only one on the right.
2. Mine is an aluminum clad trim, and it looks like crap right where the port would be, as it's almost dented looking or something right there.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GeriatricGinger
Side note, I towed a Mini Cooper with my tow dolly a couple weeks ago.. The lights were borked on the tow-dollies, so the Q was mad, screamed about lights out, and disabled my cruise. lol
Is this common? Or something I need to look into? I've not pulled another trailer since, but I don't want to find out when it's time to tow again.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricGinger
Is this common? Or something I need to look into? I've not pulled another trailer since, but I don't want to find out when it's time to tow again.
This tends to be an issue where the Q does not know that the trailer is plugged in. Get the lights working on the trailer and the issue will go away.

This is what I use

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...08/C57003.html
The following 2 users liked this post by 4Driver4:
-Wes- (02-12-2023), GeriatricGinger (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 724 Likes on 599 Posts

As to the LED trailer lights adapter use; be sure to plug the trailer's harness into the adapter first, then plug the adapter into the car.

It's worth reiterating, since not often mentioned, that when you plug in trailer lighting to the Q7 the car either disables and/or modifies functionality of multiple accessory & safety features. This includes the blind-spot monitoring and park-assist sensors, cruise control, braking, air suspension, etc.

NOTE: Be informed before you attempt to tow a trailer, so you know what features are automatically changed by plugging in trailer lighting, or having a rear cargo tray attached or an unlit trailer hooked up, which impedes distance sensors, etc. The Q7, especially the TDI version, is extremely capable as a tow vehicle....effortless comes to mind, but there is a wee bit of a learning curve related to car's systems impacted by towing. If you just hook up and go, then you will discover these changes the hard way and think something is wrong with the car.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
As to the LED trailer lights adapter use; be sure to plug the trailer's harness into the adapter first, then plug the adapter into the car.

It's worth reiterating, since not often mentioned, that when you plug in trailer lighting to the Q7 the car either disables and/or modifies functionality of multiple accessory & safety features. This includes the blind-spot monitoring and park-assist sensors, cruise control, braking, air suspension, etc.

NOTE: Be informed before you attempt to tow a trailer, so you know what features are automatically changed by plugging in trailer lighting, or having a rear cargo tray attached or an unlit trailer hooked up, which impedes distance sensors, etc. The Q7, especially the TDI version, is extremely capable as a tow vehicle....effortless comes to mind, but there is a wee bit of a learning curve related to car's systems impacted by towing. If you just hook up and go, then you will discover these changes the hard way and think something is wrong with the car.
where’s this info available? I’m curious as to what is disabled when connected to a trailer. 1500mi trips with a trailer and no cruise would suck 😂
Old 02-12-2023, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's all in the owner's manual for the car:

So what you have to do if you don't have the original paper manual and want to look up the manual for your Q7's model year is:
  • Go to Audi's website
  • Enter your VIN in the text box that is there
  • Click on the appropriate link for the owner's manual
  • Once the manual is done uploading, then use the search box in the upper right corner of your screen and type in "towing" without the parenthesis.
  • That will take you to the section of the owner's manual, where you can find the tow specs I have listed and lots of other helpful related information.
Honestly, I found the owner's manual to be pretty interesting on this car, and even discovered some hidden 'extra' features & settings/capability I didn't know it had.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 02-12-2023 at 12:55 PM.
GeriatricGinger (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige';[url=tel:25789538
25789538[/url]]It's all in the owner's manual for the car:

So what you have to do if you don't have the original paper manual and want to look up the manual for your Q7's model year is:
  • Go to Audi's website
  • Enter your VIN in the text box that is there
  • Click on the appropriate link for the owner's manual
  • Once the manual is done uploading, then use the search box in the upper right corner of your screen and type in "towing" without the parenthesis.
  • That will take you to the section of the owner's manual, where you can find the tow specs I have listed and lots of other helpful related information.
Honestly, I found the owner's manual to be pretty interesting on this car, and even discovered some hidden 'extra' features & settings/capability I didn't know it had.
This includes the blind-spot monitoring and park-assist sensors, cruise control, braking, air suspension, etc.

I saw about blind spot monitoring and rear park sensors in the owners manual, but nothing about cruise.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have the radar cruise option, or AAC, then attaching a trailer harness adjusts your following distance interval to allow you more time to react/avoid/stop, etc. There's all kinds of resources out there providing practical feedback on towing with the Q7.

In my own experience, I was mainly miffed by the loss of blind-spot monitoring, as I find that an extremely useful feature, but I get it; it's all sensor based stuff primarily, but depending on equipment there are other things, like the radar cruise mods, and the air suspension will lock into the level/mode you are in when trailer harness is connected, etc. The more you know, the safer you go.

Quick Reply: OEM Tow Hitch Installation