Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Passenger side wiper arm broke completely off

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ you can request to complain about this and hopefully Audi can do a recall. Why wait for somebody to get hurt.

Originally Posted by Bobby Bautista
Somebody can get hurt with
this.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StFrancis
Has anyone here had this happen to them? My wife told me that on her way home the wiper flew off during a heavy downpour. I thought it was the blade but when I checked it out I found this.

It cost $90 to replace. FYI the wiper motor will not engage when the hood is up.
Happened to me too today.Driving on a causeway while raining and suddenly passenger side wiper arm broke. It made huge noise and thanks God it did not break the windsheild or hit anybody behind the wheel. Could have been worse. Seen several complaints on AUDIWORLD forum but no remedy. I ordered one and replacing one now. but this windshield wiper system should have been recalled due to safety concern. I reported it to NHTSA. I will encourage to report it too. as it is a safety issue.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Happened to us

Driving in the first bands of Alberto our 2011 q7 shed it’s passenger windshield wiper arm. Quite an oh shiete moment when it bounced off the windshield. Thanks for the links looks like a pretty simple repair.
Audi should do something about this mine broke in the same place as all the other pics.
Regards
al
Old 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by StFrancis
Has anyone here had this happen to them? My wife told me that on her way home the wiper flew off during a heavy downpour. I thought it was the blade but when I checked it out I found this.

It cost $90 to replace. FYI the wiper motor will not engage when the hood is up.
WTF This happened to me yesterday. Similarly, I thought it was a wiper blade issue. Changed the blades and now the passenger side wont move at all.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ensure that you seated the wiper arm onto the shaft before bolting it down?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Placement of the passenger side arm on the shaft is tedious. It must be just right for the arm to sweep in the proper range. The two parallel links to the arm tend to exaggerate its movement. Suggest you take it off and watch the shafts as the wipers run. One is an idler and turns freely. The other ( splined) one drives the arm and should turn back and forth as the wipers run. If it does not then some linkage has broken or become disconnected below it.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2009AUDI Q7

I had the same issue 2wice
I have a 2009 audi q7 3.6 and the same pics u guys posted is the same thing
it seems the arm is way 2 heavy on the passenger side and the same way the 1st one broke in half the 2nd one just did about 3days ago
I replaced the arm 6months ago

havnt used the wipers 2 much because theres barely any raining days in New York City anymore
yet just a small trip 2 buffalo Ny and some rain and it broke for the 2nd time
Old 06-29-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by YASHAR AHRAYA
I had the same issue 2wice
I have a 2009 audi q7 3.6 and the same pics u guys posted is the same thing
it seems the arm is way 2 heavy on the passenger side and the same way the 1st one broke in half the 2nd one just did about 3days ago
I replaced the arm 6months ago

havnt used the wipers 2 much because theres barely any raining days in New York City anymore
yet just a small trip 2 buffalo Ny and some rain and it broke for the 2nd time
The OE replacement I just got a few months ago for my 3.6 was quite a bit thicker than the one installed at the factory. The one I got a few years ago for the 4.2 was thin like the factory installed arm. So, they've changed the arm...
Old 12-09-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just happened to me too.

What in the actual f**k.

Car wasnt even moving. Parked outside about to pull into the garage. I turned on the wiper unintentionally, and "snap". I was like wtf was that??? Did it catch on the hood?

Anyway, what a pain in the a**.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which year wiper arms are compatible? I have a 2011 Q7, gas powered.

I'm being told that all arms from 2007 to 2016 would work?

Quick Reply: Passenger side wiper arm broke completely off