Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

q7 coolant leak from bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q7 coolant leak from bulkhead

I have a 2008 audi q7, 3.6l. Today there was a significant leak of coolant on the passenger (right) side of the car. It was coming from a rubber bung in the engine compartment side of the bulkhead/firewall. Down below the coolant expansion tank between it and the engine. So it wasn't the engine that was leaking, but possibly the heater core? Or coolant lines going to it?? or? In my experience, heater cores normally leak inside the car. This was leaking to the outside.

Anyone know what is leaking and how do I get to it? I'm guessing I have to go in through the plastic shroud that covers around where the wipers go? probably have to take the wipers off to get in there?

I could get some pictures tomorrow, but it's dark now.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beebe
I have a 2008 audi q7, 3.6l. Today there was a significant leak of coolant on the passenger (right) side of the car. It was coming from a rubber bung in the engine compartment side of the bulkhead/firewall. Down below the coolant expansion tank between it and the engine. So it wasn't the engine that was leaking, but possibly the heater core? Or coolant lines going to it?? or? In my experience, heater cores normally leak inside the car. This was leaking to the outside.

Anyone know what is leaking and how do I get to it? I'm guessing I have to go in through the plastic shroud that covers around where the wipers go? probably have to take the wipers off to get in there?

I could get some pictures tomorrow, but it's dark now.

Thanks!
We had similar leak couple of years ago. Leak from under the coolant expansion tank. Turn out the tank had a cracked bottom. A new coolant expansion tank took care of the leaks.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thinking about it being a cracked expansion tank, I don't know how the leak would somehow go from the expansion tank through the bulkhead to then leak back out of the bulkhead. through the rubber fitting.

I will examine tomorrow to see if this is possible. Maybe I can post pictures also. I know sometimes fluid can travel in an unexpected way, perhaps you are right. Thanks for your comment.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here’s a puzzler. The fluid leaking out is bright green. The fluid in the expansion tank is orange. I haven’t filled with anything but water.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the coolant level is not dropping, this looks like a rubber bung. perhaps this is condensation from the AC? It was definately green the first time I saw it, but it was in a kroger parking lot. Perhaps I dripped into someone else's already leaked green fluid puddle.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

The coolant for VW, Audi, and Porsche is pink in color. Sounds like you have solved your issue; I bet like you concluded, you parked in a previously leaking other makers parking spot.