Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

q7 knocking from day one of purchase/Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q7 knocking from day one of purchase/Help!!!

Hi there

Just came out of a 2 year nightmare with Mercedes and decided to purchase a 2010 q7 3.0 tdi. Since the first day, been experiencing a knocking noise. Its been in twice already and still nothing. They have today advised that the knocking noise is fuel hitting around the tank. But this sound is way much more than that. I have presented the faults twice and today when visiting the dealer, they fuelled it up with diesel and said the noise stopped. Well not really, just quietened it down.

Please can someone assist and tell me that this is not normal right? I questioned if the 60k model in the window did the same thing and they could not answer! about to take out a 2012 model and they changed their mind and advised they will check with Audi Technical.

I present the fault from standstill, rev to 1500 rpm and let go, then clunk/knock. Then press brake and another slight clunk/knock

Your help and assistance will be much appreciated.

Or do I just give it back and walk away?

Regards
Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Why would you want something that's unpleasant? With all my years with Audis, if an Audi is wounded (broken then fixed), it will never be the same. I'll never buy a car with any kind of problems. My 08 Q7 is solid, no noise (except toys of the kids rattling in the cup holders) and it's been 5 1/2 years. Give it back and get one that has no noise. Should drive at night, cold weather, turn off the radio, the streets are quiet from cars, bumpy roads... People make a mistake while test driving car with the stereo blasting, especially used car. I'm sure you paid good money for your car, better off <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/the-stupid-lease.html">lease a new one</a>, then make decision after a few years like me, Q7 is the most reliable car ever, I haven't had to pay a dime for anything at 35k miles.

Good luck,

Louis
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a knock coming from the suspension when I bought mine, I sprayed grease on all the suspension bushings and it stopped. Give it a try and keep us posted.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers!

Frustrating thing is, it's under warranty and can't get the answers I want. Been twice to audi west London and they still say fuel slapping in the tank

Can't believe my ears
Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Why would you want something that's unpleasant? With all my years with Audis, if an Audi is wounded (broken then fixed), it will never be the same. I'll never buy a car with any kind of problems. My 08 Q7 is solid, no noise (except toys of the kids rattling in the cup holders) and it's been 5 1/2 years. Give it back and get one that has no noise. Should drive at night, cold weather, turn off the radio, the streets are quiet from cars, bumpy roads... People make a mistake while test driving car with the stereo blasting, especially used car. I'm sure you paid good money for your car, better off <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/the-stupid-lease.html">lease a new one</a>, then make decision after a few years like me, Q7 is the most reliable car ever, I haven't had to pay a dime for anything at 35k miles.

Good luck,

Louis
Mine has 36k

I'm sure it could be the diff
Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can hear the brake pads move in the calliper brackets when going into reverse. It is just a small click and not always there but I can tell where the sound is coming from.

On yours, try with the rear seats all flat or all upright to rule out movement of interior trim, also, check the 3rd row seat belts are securely tucked into the holder on the rear C pillar.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
I can hear the brake pads move in the calliper brackets when going into reverse. It is just a small click and not always there but I can tell where the sound is coming from.

On yours, try with the rear seats all flat or all upright to rule out movement of interior trim, also, check the 3rd row seat belts are securely tucked into the holder on the rear C pillar.

Hi there

After my Saturday Visit and being told that its the fuel slapping in the tank, I can confirm its not that. Driving with full tank and still knocking. Personally think its a diff/bush on suspension. Plus brakes squealing like a london bus.

After they lied on Saturday about putting the vehicle on the rolling road, for then the workshop manager to call me (chasing up old messages) he confirmed that they did not have rolling road. No I feel I am in the middle of a budget issue. As if you buy a vehicle and with the first 30 days, they cant claim on warranty. Cost goes back to dealer level. Q7 going back in tomorrow. The only issue, I have lost total faith!

Shall I try and let them fix and later be told again its the fuel? Or give back and run?

Really had enough! What ever amount of money you spend, get treated like dirt and lied to. All the same

Regards
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by q7nick
Hi there

After my Saturday Visit and being told that its the fuel slapping in the tank, I can confirm its not that. Driving with full tank and still knocking. Personally think its a diff/bush on suspension. Plus brakes squealing like a london bus.

After they lied on Saturday about putting the vehicle on the rolling road, for then the workshop manager to call me (chasing up old messages) he confirmed that they did not have rolling road. No I feel I am in the middle of a budget issue. As if you buy a vehicle and with the first 30 days, they cant claim on warranty. Cost goes back to dealer level. Q7 going back in tomorrow. The only issue, I have lost total faith!

Shall I try and let them fix and later be told again its the fuel? Or give back and run?

Really had enough! What ever amount of money you spend, get treated like dirt and lied to. All the same

Regards
Vehicle collected today by Audi. Lets see what the outcome is now. Unless they come back and say something was changed/fixed, then wont take the car back.

will keep you updated.

Regards
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sometimes cars have issues. Our 2007 has been in the shop three times since 2010 for a sunroof leak. The first time it was in the shop for 5 mths and had the entire sunroof replaced twice. It started leaking again earlier this year. They had it for a couple of weeks and returned it proclaimed fixed. A few weeks ago it started leaking worse. Been in the shop over a week now and they have told us they don't know where the leak is coming from. Our car is a lemon, no other way around it. I would tell them to give you your $$$ back if they can't fix the issue this time.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
Sometimes cars have issues. Our 2007 has been in the shop three times since 2010 for a sunroof leak. The first time it was in the shop for 5 mths and had the entire sunroof replaced twice. It started leaking again earlier this year. They had it for a couple of weeks and returned it proclaimed fixed. A few weeks ago it started leaking worse. Been in the shop over a week now and they have told us they don't know where the leak is coming from. Our car is a lemon, no other way around it. I would tell them to give you your $$$ back if they can't fix the issue this time.
Today dealer has confirmed there is nothing wrong the vehicle and knocking noise is from Fuel movement in the tank. Well major thud/knock is meant to be normal? They hear the noise but cant fix or find fault!!!

Options:

Take car and trust what they say but hard to after 4 weeks!

Take money and run?

Let them find me another one?

Anyone here heard of common fuel tank noise on Q7? Knocking or so forth? They said is characteristics!

Your help will be much appreciated

Regards

Quick Reply: q7 knocking from day one of purchase/Help!!!