Q7 - sunroof leakge nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 - sunroof leakge nightmare

Hi guys.

I need your help.

Too make a long story short, because I am still working on the car to fix the leakage.

Last year I bought the 2007 Q7, short after that I was at my dealer because of the ignition coil recall.
At this moment I was aware of the sunroof problems and I asked hin about the TSB for the sunroof drains.
He told me that the TSB was made early this year with the preowner.

ok, I thought everything is fine.
Later in 2010 I was contacting AOA with some other problems I have, they told me the same - TSB done.

Now, since a few weeks I have water in the passanger front area.
Damn, So I checked the drains if they are clogged. They were. leafs, needles, and more.
So I cleaned it, everything fine.
Now yesterday and today we have a thunderstorm and today I have had water again in the passanger area.
So, now I removed the headliner and I put water at the sunroof. Lots of water.

I added some pictures, please take a look.
Why is it leaking from there?
(A few inch later the white (clear) hose ends open.
Whats this for a hose/drain?

Is the glue normal on the grey sunroof drains? The drain is working, I can hear it and I see the water coming down the right wheel house.

What to do?
Any suggestions?

Dealer is not an option, unfortunately the dealer doesnt even know what to do. I have my experience with him.
And I think AOA will be helpful in the same way with the other problems = none.

Please help.

Michael
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I owned one of the first Q7 in the US and had leaks from each drain lines, since not preowned I had to pay, also had some amplifier damage, guessing you read my post.
I will be looking for a replacement in the next 12 months and it "will not" not be the next gen Q7, I am done with Audi.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is some crappy looking work there. The dealer says the TSB was done and you have a leak like that? Sad. I would keep pushing AoA.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jestertc, those are really interesting pictures. It took me a while to work out I am looking up at water pouring down into a cloth in the first shot. The second shows that the clear pipe eminates from high on the sunroof well above the drain level and behind the external seal.
There are very few pictures available but you can see the same clear pipe in the bottom corner of the second photo at link from an earlier case
I suspect it is from behind the roof seal which would indicate either your sunroof was not entirely replaced or was not re-installed properly. It must be a breather pipe not a drain pipe. Water should not be anywhere near it.
If you are going to tackle this issue yourself, you will probably get the answer once you drop the entire frame a bit. Please continue with the great photos.
It seems in your case once the drain is blocked and the water level rises it leaks in as there is no seal between the sunroof and the car body. Maybe you could just tighten the little bolt in the background of your photo

In reference to the glue... one of the original production problems was a failure with the clips joining the drain hoses to the sunroof as they deformed or flattened out over time allowing a bypass of water. Perhaps the glue is the recommended fix as it removes the need for a clip. Even though it looks a little messy it may be a better solution.

Thanks for posting so far, will be watching for progress.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Guys.

Now I post an update.

Now help from AOA at all. They still believe I would bring my car to the dealer. I tell them again and again this wont happen at all.

I have some more pictures.

Picture 3 shows the adapter plug of the sunroof. No more words to say.

picture 4 shows my quick and dirty repair, I tried to fix it quick of course I need it to work.

Now it looks like I am getting help from a friendly german dealer (where I bought all of my former cars).
I did send my the documentation for the sunroof, the repair manual und the complete new drains (for $20 incl shipping).

Now I am looking for a kind of silicon sealer, to seal the sunroof themself. I think I will try to use the one which is used to build fish tanks. I have good experiences with this stuff.
Lets see.....

Michael
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just found out, my wife Q7 still leaking with possible amplifier damage, again.

Last edited by RAD2; 08-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RAD2
I just found out, my wife Q7 still leaking with possible amplifier damage, again.
I am sorry to hear that.

Can you try to figure out where it comes from?
Can you remove the headliner and drain some water?

Within the next two week I will get the repair stuff from Germany.
Hopefully then I can figure out where the seal is broken und how to fix it. The dealer an Germany told me that he will add some more information about the sealer repair I can use.

After the heavy thunderstorm on Monday night I can say my roof is not longer leaking, but I know it still can be with the broken seal.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW:

I have also problems now with the radio/CD Changer and my Gateway 500.....

Yesterday I got my VAGcom to check out whats going on.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How to remove headliner

Originally Posted by jestertc
I am sorry to hear that.

Can you try to figure out where it comes from?
Can you remove the headliner and drain some water?

Within the next two week I will get the repair stuff from Germany.
Hopefully then I can figure out where the seal is broken und how to fix it. The dealer an Germany told me that he will add some more information about the sealer repair I can use.

After the heavy thunderstorm on Monday night I can say my roof is not longer leaking, but I know it still can be with the broken seal.
I have driven renault, peugeot, alfa romeos, ford, mazda, nissan, hondas, toyotas, acuras, bmws and never had water leaks from sunroofs. I am extremely upset with Audi NA and my Q7.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD2
I have driven renault, peugeot, alfa romeos, ford, mazda, nissan, hondas, toyotas, acuras, bmws and never had water leaks from sunroofs. I am extremely upset with Audi NA and my Q7.
Leaks in BMW sunroofs are common...especially the e53 X5. Same issue with blocked drains.

Quick Reply: Q7 - sunroof leakge nightmare