Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Towing package

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7way pin no power

Originally Posted by Brew61
I bought a 2014 Audi Q7 back in July, it has the factory receiver hitch with the 7 prong plug on it. I put a test light on it and came up with nothing on all pins. I don't have a trailer to tow but I am going to build a 5x10 utility trailer this winter for it with electric brakes. I just wanted to check things out and found out I have no power at all in the back. Have not had the time to check out why there is no power there. did talk to the original owner and he said he never ever used it.

Just find it odd that it does not even work.

Bruce
I Just Today found out myself why the pin has no power. In order for it to work it has to be flashed. Apparently the tow package and wiring harness are 2 different options. I'm pissed to say the least. Audi charges 300 plus to flash it. I just now came on here to see if there was a way around paying 300$
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Find someone w/a Vag-Com aka VCDS and run through this: Trailer Hitch Retrofitting (4F) - Ross-Tech Wiki

I did it my self no problem since Ive had one of those cables for a few decades now.
The following users liked this post:
drjonez (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sophia Goode
I Just Today found out myself why the pin has no power. In order for it to work it has to be flashed. Apparently the tow package and wiring harness are 2 different options. I'm pissed to say the least. Audi charges 300 plus to flash it. I just now came on here to see if there was a way around paying 300$

Are you kidding me? You are saying that Audi installs and trailer hitch and a seven pin wiring harness and then you have to take it in and pay them to flash it if you want to use it. What a crock of sh**. You pay all this money for a Audi and then they pull crap like this. Unbelievable

Bruce
Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow hitch aggravation

[QUOT[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Find someone w/a Vag-Com aka VCDS and run through this: Trailer Hitch Retrofitting (4F) - Ross-Tech Wiki

I did it my self no problem since Ive had one of those cables for a few decades now.
So I guess now they're telling me I need an audi specific connector wtf
Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have a 7 pin connector (barrel style I presume) I don't see how that would unique to Audi. It sounds more like they forgot to code it in. I would buy an ODBeleven and do it yourself and have it for all the other useful things down the road.

Are you sure you were testing the right pins and had the lights set to On and not auto when testing running lights with your test light? Also, check the fuses. There is a separate set of fuses for trailer lights IIRC.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

you can buy the plug off amazon for $10 if you dont have the trailer plug on the back but the wiring is there.. its not audi specific.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frqflyer
If you have a 7 pin connector (barrel style I presume) I don't see how that would unique to Audi. It sounds more like they forgot to code it in. I would buy an ODBeleven and do it yourself and have it for all the other useful things down the road.

Are you sure you were testing the right pins and had the lights set to On and not auto when testing running lights with your test light? Also, check the fuses. There is a separate set of fuses for trailer lights IIRC.

Yes I did all of the above, I have been working on cars for over 40 years now so have good experience in the automotive department, I just found it rally odd that there was no power to any of the pins. Like I said I will not be towing a trailer for a while yet, I am just starting to build my utility trailer. But once I have completed that I will then look more into the problem.

I was planing on buying a Ross Tech just because I do all my own work and I wanted to also do some coding. Right now I only have a iCarsoft CR Plus diagnostic scan tool which is an awesome scan tool but it does not do coding. I will be a little disappointed if it is just because Audi never flashed it too work, just does not seen right that they should do crap like that. Mind you Harley Davidson is now doing things like that on their new bikes. It's just becoming bull sh**, I mean what are we forking all this money out for.

So probably in the spring I will get to it and find out whats the real problem with it.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frqflyer

Yes I did all of the above, I have been working on cars for over 40 years now so have good experience in the automotive department, I just found it rally odd that there was no power to any of the pins. Like I said I will not be towing a trailer for a while yet, I am just starting to build my utility trailer. But once I have completed that I will then look more into the problem.

I was planing on buying a Ross Tech just because I do all my own work and I wanted to also do some coding. Right now I only have a iCarsoft CR Plus diagnostic scan tool which is an awesome scan tool but it does not do coding. I will be a little disappointed if it is just because Audi never flashed it too work, just does not seen right that they should do crap like that. Mind you Harley Davidson is now doing things like that on their new bikes. It's just becoming bull sh**, I mean what are we forking all this money out for.

So probably in the spring I will get to it and find out whats the real problem with it.

Bruce
Old 10-24-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew61
I bought a 2014 Audi Q7 back in July, it has the factory receiver hitch with the 7 prong plug on it. I put a test light on it and came up with nothing on all pins. I don't have a trailer to tow but I am going to build a 5x10 utility trailer this winter for it with electric brakes. I just wanted to check things out and found out I have no power at all in the back. Have not had the time to check out why there is no power there. did talk to the original owner and he said he never ever used it.

Just find it odd that it does not even work.

Bruce
One thing to try first. When I was testing mine I recall having a similar issue. I had to make a small "test" trailer using some wire and bulbs to simulate it being hooked up. Not sure, but I think it has to sense a trailer.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTPlus
One thing to try first. When I was testing mine I recall having a similar issue. I had to make a small "test" trailer using some wire and bulbs to simulate it being hooked up. Not sure, but I think it has to sense a trailer.

Good to know Thanks

Bruce

Quick Reply: Q7 Towing package