Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Are Rear Side Airbags Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Rear Side Airbags Necessary?

I have two kids, ages 5 and 8. Are the side rear airbags necessary? I've heard conflicting stories about their safety. If there is a better chance that they'll protect the children (as opposed to hurt them), I'd like to get them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Firstly the side airbags are mainly for protecting the head during a collision. This may not help your children depending on their height and whether they have a booster seat or something like that. The simple answer is yes, they will be protective to anyone sitting in the rear but it could also have a negative effect depending on the collision and whether there is a rollover or something lasting a couple of seconds. Personally, I would get them. At least it gives them a chance hmmm?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rayaans
Firstly the side airbags are mainly for protecting the head during a collision. This may not help your children depending on their height and whether they have a booster seat or something like that. The simple answer is yes, they will be protective to anyone sitting in the rear but it could also have a negative effect depending on the collision and whether there is a rollover or something lasting a couple of seconds. Personally, I would get them. At least it gives them a chance hmmm?
+1 - This was the same logic I had when I ordered my '12.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I researched this before I bought my Q, and came to the conclusion it is a definite yes. These airbags are smaller, and do not extend into the cabin like front airbags, which are the real concern with children. Children are often not tall enough to get the benefit of the side curtain airbag for head protection. The resources I found mentioned the thorax airbag in the rear can act as head protection for smaller children on side impacts. I also confirmed that there is no reported cases of injury to children from rear thorax airbags. My view is the more air you get between your loved ones and encroaching pieces of metal is always a net positive. I remind my kids in the back to not hang on the door when we are traveling. which is probably a smart thing whether there is a side thorax airbag or not. If the rear thorax bag is available., get it.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Here is a summary of the research I did on this when I ordered the Q. The salesperson originally advised not to add any extra airbags if you have children. I was suspect of that advice and looked into it. This is from the email I sent advising why I was adding it against their advice:

I have done some research on the rear torso airbag option. This has included evaluation by the IIHS, Edmunds, the Australia equivalent of the NTSB, along with my strong belief that the more air you get between a passenger (child or adult) and high speed metal is a safer alternative in a bad situation. I also note there have been no children harmed by rear side curtain or torso airbags. After the research, I am convinced the rear side torso airbags increase safety in the event of a side or rollover accident for adults and children. Most of the concern for children is overblown from the early experience with full force frontal airbags.

I believe this quote sums it up well:

“That’s why many carmakers offer side airbags, which help protect occupants in a rollover accident and side-impact crash. “Side torso airbags developed for adult-size people can double as head protection for children,” says Sherwood. “Plus, there’s no evidence that there’s any sort of risk (using rear-seat side torso airbags).” Front airbags can hurt children because the energy required to quickly inflate airbags, especially on older model vehicles, can cause injuries.”

Please add the rear side torso airbag option to my Q7 order. I understand and accept this will increase price by $350.00. I believe the order code is 4X4.