Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Remote start

2013 TDI Premium Plus

Hi folks. We travel in the Q7 and often take our two dogs. When the weather is warm or cold, we leave the car running and lock the door with the spare key if we stop for food (as an example). Yes, this is asking for trouble. Someone could break a window and drive off. My thought is to add a remote start that kills the engine when the door is opened.
Anyone have a better solution to this or have you installed a remote start? Brand and comments requested. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

IMHO, a Remote Start and a Diesel Engine do not mix.. a diesel does not generate enough heat at idle to get its self to operating temps.. so what it does, is open up the EGR and breathe its own exhaust to try to speed that up.. but even then it takes a very, very long time.. causing massive buildup of carbon in the intake, valvetrain and EGR system.. operating a remote start on a diesel vehicle is a massive amount of wear and tear at best.. Coupled with the hacking they gotta to do your wiring harness, and bypassing/negating the immobilizer, its generally a terrible idea.

Diesel Operators typically install either an AC powered Diesel Block Heater, or a diesel fueled Westabo style heater to pre-heat the engine/vehicle..

Given your use case, I'd just leave the car running.. If your dogs them selves are not a deterrent, then they will be an attractant.. some places if you lock a dog in a vehicle, you will get your window broken.. but the'll take your dogs and leave the vehicle.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
IMHO, a Remote Start and a Diesel Engine do not mix.. a diesel does not generate enough heat at idle to get its self to operating temps.. so what it does, is open up the EGR and breathe its own exhaust to try to speed that up.. but even then it takes a very, very long time.. causing massive buildup of carbon in the intake, valvetrain and EGR system.. operating a remote start on a diesel vehicle is a massive amount of wear and tear at best.. Coupled with the hacking they gotta to do your wiring harness, and bypassing/negating the immobilizer, its generally a terrible idea.

Diesel Operators typically install either an AC powered Diesel Block Heater, or a diesel fueled Westabo style heater to pre-heat the engine/vehicle..

Given your use case, I'd just leave the car running.. If your dogs them selves are not a deterrent, then they will be an attractant.. some places if you lock a dog in a vehicle, you will get your window broken.. but the'll take your dogs and leave the vehicle.

Yea, we’ve done this for 6 years now, just worried someone will knock the glass out and take the car and dogs too. Just a matter of time before the wrong person comes by.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

tint the front windows and pull up shades if yeh got em.. grab an OEM windshield shade (they fit like a glove).. I'd wager most people wont approach a vehicle they cannot see into, even if they hear a dog barking inside the'd assume someone is there.. I go to the park all the time at lunch, put up the shade and camp out inside for an hour w/AC or heat running.. tons of shady stuff goes on in parks, but never had anyone bother me.

I solved this issue by getting a camper w/an AirConditioner, we just leave the pumps in the camper if we are going somewhere they are not allowed.. even got em a generator if needed.. They are good and dont bother anyone even at a camp, I've driven off.. parked and snuck back up to camper to see if doggos were whining or bothering others, nah they were chill w/radio playing.
The following users liked this post:
FranklinQ7 (08-27-2019)