Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Everyone should be capable of changing tires, unless you have some sort of disability.. but if your young and healthy then you can entirely DIY.. both me and my sister had changed big truck tires before we made it to middle school, its good to be self reliant.. often you can change your own tire and be back on the way long before roadside makes it to you.

I use an at home tire service, they come and mount/balance and install it here in my driveway.. the same guy will store your winter wheels and come swap em out whenever you wish.. Might see if there are any mobile tire services in your area, much better than waiting forever in a smelly tire shop.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bytebuster
Do most of you swap em out yourselves or take it to a tire store?
For my car with the winter tires on its own wheels, I was doing it myself. I could do it in 30 minutes. But after doing it twice, I was kinda not too excited I had gone that route. If you guy them at Town Faire Tire, they will do seasonal swaps for free.

I don't mind waiting at a tire shop if I bring my laptop.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bytebuster
Do most of you swap em out yourselves or take it to a tire store?
Do 'em myself. A compressor and impact gun make it easy. Have a QuickJack that made things really easy - for all my vehicles except the Q7. Jack points on the Q7 are too far apart. I like the flexibility to do it myself. It'll be a few years yet before the 21" are too heavy. I've got the 21" rims from the Black Optic Package for the summer. Bought a set of 20" snows on rims for the winter.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mctt197
Do 'em myself. A compressor and impact gun make it easy. Have a QuickJack that made things really easy - for all my vehicles except the Q7. Jack points on the Q7 are too far apart. I like the flexibility to do it myself. It'll be a few years yet before the 21" are too heavy. I've got the 21" rims from the Black Optic Package for the summer. Bought a set of 20" snows on rims for the winter.
I am interested in getting a 20 inch set, preferably the OEM look for my winter tyres[planning to get Nokians].Is there a reputable place to get hold of 20 inch OEM wheels?

I change the wheels on my vehicles myself, No fancy equipment. Just good old breaker bar ,a torque wrench and floor jacks.Had it changed at a local tyre shop and it was darn quick...like they were done in 15 minutes.It takes me a while to change them myself though ~ 30-35 minutes.I probably will have the Q7 done at the tyre shop for the 21's might be heavy .

Last edited by cukoodukoo; 08-04-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did it last time in 20 minutes, but I have an impact wrench. But it is really 30 minutes by the time I set up, clean up, etc. Also you are not supposed to use anti-sieze on the bolts, and especially not on the bolt faces.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a similar note does anyone wash their own car any more? My neighbors look at me like I'm crazy. I wash the car every Sunday so I can start the week with a clean car. My Dad never called a repairman. We did it all ourselves. Sometimes it's easier to just get it done than wait for the repairman who arrives in a three hour window.

Last edited by Jim Jistel; 08-04-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-04-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
On a similar note does anyone wash their own car any more? My neighbors look at me like I'm crazy. I wash the car every Sunday so I can start the week with a clean car. My Dad never called a repairman. We did it all ourselves. Sometimes it's easier to just get it done than wait for the repairman who arrives in a three hour window.
Not in Winter.When I had my first car....135i....I used to was it myself even in winter.Now... some 7 yrs later...I just stick to personally washing my cars in summer and use the car wash in winters.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
I do, but not regularly. I ceramic coated my wife's car so I do a no rinse wash which can be done in a garage with just a bucket and microfiber towels. Sometimes I will go to manual spray wash to get off salt, bugs, etc. when it builds up. I never go to an automatic touch wash anymore as that will mar the surface.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I had "a" car I did. Now I have five cars plus boats and bikes. A few days ago I cleaned the inside of one of my cars. It took 5.5 hours! Insane.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wash mine regularly, it's only seen a car wash once in a year and a half.

Quick Reply: 20 inch All season versus 21 inch summer