Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Flex pipe broken again after 30k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2017 Flex pipe broken again after 30k miles

I had the right side exhaust pipe replace after the flex portion developed a hole at 100K miles. Now at 130k mi it has a hole again and is making noise. My mechanic seemed to think there was excess vibration which might have caused it. Is this all that common? Are there mounts or other parts that need to be replaced as well?
The following users liked this post:
gbgastowers (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the mounts have degraded over time or loosened that could be the cause of the excess stress vibration. It's also possible that the replacement exhaust pipe wasn't as durable as the original or wasn't installed properly.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Always replace the mounts if they have the same miles as the car. I am about to tackle this job soon. There are two versions of the mounts, red and black. The black has three contact points to the metal and the red two. I went with the original red ones since they are very easy to replace if they fail again. And the place where I bought them said the red was correct for my VIN. Either way I’m hoping no holes.
if I do have holes I’m just going to weld them.
Make sure your mechanic follows the TSB 26 21 47 2054935/6 tightening method.

Last edited by richsurf; 05-08-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,186 Likes on 925 Posts

have you taken a look at the engine mounts? those are known to fail before 100K as well. this is a common occurrence on these vehicles. keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like it's a good idea to replace the exhaust mount (pretty sure this is it 4M0253099).This has never been done that I know of. The engine mounts sound like a big expensive project. So I'll try this first. Any advice on where to get parts? I found the exhaust on eBay from a dealer in Annapolis, MD for $388 (free shipping).

Old 05-08-2024, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
have you taken a look at the engine mounts? those are known to fail before 100K as well. this is a common occurrence on these vehicles. keep us posted.
Do you know the symptoms of bad engine mounts? I've noticed a distinct shudder and vibration when accelerating and your comment now makes me wonder.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LupeForever
Thanks for the responses! It sounds like it's a good idea to replace the exhaust mount (pretty sure this is it 4M0253099).This has never been done that I know of. The engine mounts sound like a big expensive project. So I'll try this first. Any advice on where to get parts? I found the exhaust on eBay from a dealer in Annapolis, MD for $388 (free shipping).
getaudiparts.com has good prices
Old 05-09-2024, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

I've found audiusaparts.com (Audi Beaverton) to be pretty competitive in pricing and almost always the lowest. They have the original red mount for $12 and the updated black mount for $14.

Red: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
Black: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...ket-4m0253099b

As for the engine mounts, I'd be surprised if they were completely worn to the point of feeling shuddering and vibrations. They're fairly beefy and while they do tend to leak around 60-80k miles, it usually does not cause any added NVH. You may be experiencing the supercharger clutch engaging as you're accelerating. See if you can replicate it while driving in S/Dynamic mode.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
I've found audiusaparts.com (Audi Beaverton) to be pretty competitive in pricing and almost always the lowest. They have the original red mount for $12 and the updated black mount for $14.

Red: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
Black: https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...ket-4m0253099b

As for the engine mounts, I'd be surprised if they were completely worn to the point of feeling shuddering and vibrations. They're fairly beefy and while they do tend to leak around 60-80k miles, it usually does not cause any added NVH. You may be experiencing the supercharger clutch engaging as you're accelerating. See if you can replicate it while driving in S/Dynamic mode.
Thanks! They are quite a bit cheaper than the local dealer but alas the shipping cost ($25) is more than the part. I'll have to pick it up at the dealer.
With my limited knowledge, what does S/Dynamic mode do that would replicate it? Engage the supercharger?
Old 05-09-2024, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Check Audi San Diego. I have ordered from them and shipping is free.

https://www.genuineaudiparts.com/

Quick Reply: 2017 Flex pipe broken again after 30k miles