Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 - Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 - Car Wash

Hi,

I'm one week into my Q7 ownership and need to have my car washed. The only place around is an automatic car wash (get out of the vehicle and it goes down the automated line, getting cleaned along the way with brushes, etc.).

There are so many buttons, features, etc., on the vehicle and I don't want to destroy anything. For example, I don't want the rain sense washers to come on, etc.

Are there any settings on my vehicle before I let it go down the automated car wash line?

P.S. No, I'm not washing it myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Just put the wiper stalk in the lowest position to shut off the rain sense.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As SYMAWD said, the wiper in its off position will not trigger the rain sensing. I know its your one week old baby and its a bit concerning leaving it alone down the car wash lane. But the Baby has to be bathed
Old 06-10-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I prefer touchless car washes if i was to pay for a wash
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My q7 is arriving next week, but I own three express automated car washes. Although you might think im biased, I understand the whole industry very well having run both full serve hand washes and self serve coin operated washes as well. We attend every convention and are constantly trying to improve the wash process to decrease damage and innovate with new computer controlled technology. My family has a 2015 Z06 corvette, 2015 BMW X5, 2013 Mercedes c250 and soon to be 2017 Audi Q7. All but the Mercedes has xpel film and each is washed at least 2x-3x per week through our automated express tunnels.

Here are what washes I recommend (in order from best to worst) and some pros and cons about each wash type followed by what to do while washing your baby:
1. Newer Express car wash : this is what I own, these washes are characterized by the $3 or $5 price point and free vacuums. Usually the customer rides thru in the vehicle. They use microfiber soft foam and use the least harsh chemicals to clean the car. The equipment is far superior to any other type of washing, which CANNOT result in swirl marks. The new high end spray waxes if applied regularly (get the highest priced unlimited membership) will keep your car looking amazing on the outside. When the inside needs cleaned take it to a full serve wash(just be careful of the business) or do it yourself at an express for free. Damage can usually only happen when another driver puts their car in the wrong gear and or steers out of the track.
2. Full serve car wash: some full serve washes in expensive areas do an amazing job, others neglect their equipment or use hand washing in the tunnel and reuse dirty brushes or sponges . A good way to tell how a car wash business is going to treat your car is to look at their tunnel. If it's dark and dirty they don't usually don't clean their equipment, use cheap soaps, and will be more Likely to hire inexperienced workers. once again steer clear of the one off dark washes that aren't that busy. Damage can happen with inexperienced detailers flashing paint while hand waxing , drivers not knowing how to place your car into gear, finish line guys dropping towels and reusing them (CREATING SWIRL MARKS - which can only be created by a hand wash or hand dry circular motion)
3. Self serve car washes : if using these washes you will likely be re-using a hog hair brush that has been used on 10,000+ cars without being checked for rocks/ debris. Also most damage to paint at these places happen with the high pressure or foam brush hose while cleaning your own car. Just don't do it. It's not worth it, it takes too much time and will cost more than an express at the end of it.
4. Gas station washes: stay away. the equipment is pretty unreliable and just like at full serve washes operators are known for using crappy soaps or diluted chemicals to cut costs

Pertaining to your question. I would make sure to turn off the rain sensing wipers, the rear wiper(if auto), fold the mirrors in, turn off your parking sensors (because they will beep like crazy), and if getting the new "Lava" style upper wash packages with tons of foam...turn down your hvac or put it into recirculating mode so the soap doesn't get sucked into your hvac system and into your vents(I've seen it happen on a few cars but never a q7)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanpfutz
My q7 is arriving next week, but I own three express automated car washes. Although you might think im biased, I understand the whole industry very well having run both full serve hand washes and self serve coin operated washes as well. We attend every convention and are constantly trying to improve the wash process to decrease damage and innovate with new computer controlled technology. My family has a 2015 Z06 corvette, 2015 BMW X5, 2013 Mercedes c250 and soon to be 2017 Audi Q7. All but the Mercedes has xpel film and each is washed at least 2x-3x per week through our automated express tunnels.

Here are what washes I recommend (in order from best to worst) and some pros and cons about each wash type followed by what to do while washing your baby:
1. Newer Express car wash : this is what I own, these washes are characterized by the $3 or $5 price point and free vacuums. Usually the customer rides thru in the vehicle. They use microfiber soft foam and use the least harsh chemicals to clean the car. The equipment is far superior to any other type of washing, which CANNOT result in swirl marks. The new high end spray waxes if applied regularly (get the highest priced unlimited membership) will keep your car looking amazing on the outside. When the inside needs cleaned take it to a full serve wash(just be careful of the business) or do it yourself at an express for free. Damage can usually only happen when another driver puts their car in the wrong gear and or steers out of the track.
2. Full serve car wash: some full serve washes in expensive areas do an amazing job, others neglect their equipment or use hand washing in the tunnel and reuse dirty brushes or sponges . A good way to tell how a car wash business is going to treat your car is to look at their tunnel. If it's dark and dirty they don't usually don't clean their equipment, use cheap soaps, and will be more Likely to hire inexperienced workers. once again steer clear of the one off dark washes that aren't that busy. Damage can happen with inexperienced detailers flashing paint while hand waxing , drivers not knowing how to place your car into gear, finish line guys dropping towels and reusing them (CREATING SWIRL MARKS - which can only be created by a hand wash or hand dry circular motion)
3. Self serve car washes : if using these washes you will likely be re-using a hog hair brush that has been used on 10,000+ cars without being checked for rocks/ debris. Also most damage to paint at these places happen with the high pressure or foam brush hose while cleaning your own car. Just don't do it. It's not worth it, it takes too much time and will cost more than an express at the end of it.
4. Gas station washes: stay away. the equipment is pretty unreliable and just like at full serve washes operators are known for using crappy soaps or diluted chemicals to cut costs

Pertaining to your question. I would make sure to turn off the rain sensing wipers, the rear wiper(if auto), fold the mirrors in, turn off your parking sensors (because they will beep like crazy), and if getting the new "Lava" style upper wash packages with tons of foam...turn down your hvac or put it into recirculating mode so the soap doesn't get sucked into your hvac system and into your vents(I've seen it happen on a few cars but never a q7)
Thats alot of great insight. Thank you very much
Old 06-11-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpfutz

I don't bookmark much, but this is going into my saved directory. Thanks so much the the advice.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't most dealerships offer free washes these days?

Fair to assume they do a subpar job?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by iamshack
Don't most dealerships offer free washes these days?

Fair to assume they do a subpar job?
My dealer offers free washes, and they do a great job.

My favorite is their "Sandia Detail" package for $199. They detail the entire vehicle, to include under the hood--engine is spotless. They place everything in the vehicle in a box as they clean every square inch.

Also, it's easy to find a coupon to have it done for $149.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me **** or OCD of whatever the choice of words :-). Having only owned primarily black color cars since 1997, I learned swirl marks are bad! funny at one point I thought that was a sign that you had done a great job washing and waxing your car, that the circular swirlies were ur badge of honor - because I would wash and wax (remember products like NuFinish?) about once every 2 weeks.

Fast forward to present day, Google terms like color correction or paint correction, you will see a ton of instructional videos (but it takes equipment and practice, I leave it to the pros) to polish your car- essentially stripping off one very very fine layer of ur clear coat- don't worry, clear coats are thick if you use the right polishing compound and use the right polishing machine so no burn through the clear coat. Anyways, I don't do it, but have paid professionals to paint correct and seal the paint with nano coatings to protect the paint. Nothing is permanent and you wouldn't want it to be but your car does not need waxing for years and water just beads off after you seal. Do a search, my guy uses C Quartz which every 3-4 years depending on how you take car of your car.

Look for instruction videos from chemical guys or ammo nyc, you will learn a lot.

I only send my car through what ryanpfutz says, the newest but cheapest express WATERONLY/TOUCHLESS car wash, no brushes, no foam strips (fake chamois) stuff. Nothing is to touch your car paint except your own 80/20 or 70/30 microfiber towels. Each wash I go though like 7 or 8 16x16 towels, if they pick up dirt or any fine particles, they will scratch the clear coat. So I when they get dirty, you fold the squares and use the other clean side. Each can go through 8 little squares. They are reusable for next time, you just need to wash them after. Yes the nano coating does protect to a large fair amount, but you shouldn't jsut decide to use rough towels to wipe down ur car.

This is my routine.
1. Send/drive car through TOUCHLESS carwash, it will blow dry the car somewhat.
2. Take out my microfiber towels and get ready to do the mr Myagi - only side to side, no wax on wax off, you will learn circular motion is actually bad.
3. But before that, I spray a few squirts of HYDRATE from AMMO NYC on the towel - a) it dampens the microfiber, they pick up water better when towel is damp, b) it's a good lubricant between 2 surfaces.
4. Then I dry the car top to bottom one section at a time. Top sections first since water runs down. Use different color of mf towels when u do different sections that may potentially contain different amount of left over soot so u don't cross contaminate ur towels. I use blue for glass, green for top half of door panels, hood, quarter panels, top of the trunk. Then move on to lower half of the car with grey color towels.
5. For sections where the automatic car wash didn't get off or places like the rear of the car where all the soot get blown to since your car moves forward in the car wash, or any AREA that has streaking or water marks, I spray with Chemical Guys waterless wash spray, some guys use detail spray, but I find chemical guys waterless spray picks up more dirt since it contains some cleaners and a little bit of wax (you have to shake ur spray bottle well). Then spray and wipe.
Then u do the windows. I am less **** about glass, since glass is glass.
The whole process after going through the car wash is about another 30-45 min of wipe down depending if you want to do ur wheels. Wheels are less of a concern with me, the automatic car wash does a decent job - but initially I had them nano coated inside and out, so they stay relatively clean after going through a wash.

Those who are really ****, do the water wash themselves. AMMO NYC has a series of how to properly wash ur car, wheels, inside panels, floor mats...etc. plus they only use compressed air to blow dry the car... Haha, that what I call really ****.

You already spent hundreds to nano coat and seal the cars paint, just a little elbow grease (and really not hard, just gentle wipe downs) to take care the exterior of ur car. It's worth it. If paint correct was needed, you probably spend over a grand, since u don't seal the paint with swirl marks. So protect ur investment.

My q7 arrives in mid July, I already told my dealer do not wash my car, and no stupid dealership stickers. I will take a dirty delivery. I don't want the dealer hired high school kids to touch that car. I will send it to my detail guy first thing to have the paint sealed, probably no color correction or very very very minor paint correct if needed since the car is brand new.

Full wash services use old mf or even old school cotton cloths (remember u were taught to buy baby diper soft premium terry cloths back in the day?) to dry and clean ur car. They have gone through hundreds washes and wipes and they will scratch the clear coat, so never use a car wash like that.

Of course I am not saying u have to wash ur car this way, we also have a silver 2005 B6 A4, silver just don't show swirl marks that well, so I am less concerned about my routine with that car.

Happy washing.

Last edited by Zoich; 06-15-2016 at 05:35 PM.