Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
How can Audi charge $1800 for a substandard Tablet? I think you should return this tablet and get a full refund for this horrible RSE option.

I bet they are justifying this price with the durability they engineered into it. They apparently are shatter proof. Some anti glare technology as well.

Who knows, maybe both of those "features" were for the mythical tablets they showed off and not the POS ones that they gave us.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Prices are pretty much in line with prices of usually outdated and terrible in-dash navigation and entertainment systems that cost x2-x5 times more than stand alone units with better hardware and software. We should be grateful that Audi did not mess up navigation system and added Google Maps right from the start. As compensation it screwed up on 3rd row ES. Car can't be perfect from top to bottom, right?
I don't complain about my $50 iPhone and Android cables that I got as options. Cables are short, connectors are angled and too short to be used with cased phones, but they have Audi logos!

Last edited by alex904; 05-06-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Data Usage

Didn't go with the RSE option and reading the thread it seems like a good choice. One thing to keep in mind is data usage for everyone who thinks streaming is a solution. Right now I am on a free trial until October. I checked my audiconnect data usage and I am at 18.28 GBs in the last 30 days. That's with three kids and only one real road trip (4 hours to DC). Looking at prices, WIFI hotspot alone is $50 a month recurring for 5 GBs. So its 200 a month if that data rate continues.

I have Verizon on my phone, so no ability to merge Data plans (though its not like adding 20GBs of data to any plan would be cheap).

I told my wife to prepare the kids for the end of Wifi in October. I will say, my wife is practically famous around town for her carpool since all the kids know there is wifi in the car.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 17Q74me
So you can use SlySoft's AnyDVD (now from RedFox as of a couple days ago due to legal persecution) to easily rip movies to a digital .iso file. Then you have to convert those .iso files into compatible formats for the car (.mp4 etc). Very time consuming, but it does work.
You can rip DVD's directly into mp4. There are many tools for that. Handbrake is one of them. Don't want to advertise pirating movies, but you always can find them out there and download in minutes. No crime, if you already own them (in my opinion).
Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

New to the forum (and former A4, A5, and Q7 leasee) and wanted to share my experience with the RSE on my friend's new Q7, in the hopes it would help others, as per the current thread.

I wanted to share a DVD archive (ripped DVD folders thanks to DVDFab) with my friend, as well as, enable playback of individual movie files (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc), and make it DEAD simple for kids to use. Figuring this out took some effort to get it 'just right', so I am hoping to save others the time.

The solution was to use Kodi, which is free from the Google Play store, and two 128 GB SD cards (for the two monitors, around $35 each on Amazon).

-Put the card in the tablet and use the android system settings (under storage) to format (Important so that you know Android can access it!). Then dismount the card and remove.
-Put the card in a PC (use USB adapter if needed).
-Create an empty file (with any text editor) in the root folder called .nomedia (yes, there is a period at the beginning of the filename). This will prevent the Audi media app (and Android media apps in general) from looking on the card for media to play, and therefore give you a nice clean empty screen from the main Audi app.
-Now create a 'DVDMOVIES' folder, a 'DVDTV' folder, and an 'Individual' folder in the root folder.

-Copy all your individual DVD MOVIE folders (the folder should be the name of the movie with underscores instead of spaces, and it will contain AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subfolders) into the 'DVDMOVIES' folder.
-Copy all your individual DVD TV folders (the folder should be the name of the TV show with underscores instead of spaces, and it will contain AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subfolders within separate Season/Episode folders) into the 'DVDTV' folder.
-Copy all your individual movie files (hopefully they have filenames that correspond to the movie and year released) into the 'Individual Folder'.
(You will repeat the above copying to add new media later too)

-Put the card in the tablet
-Make sure the tablet is on your HOME wifi, with access to the internet.
-Make sure you are logged into a Google account for access to the Play store.
-Install Kodi and add it to the apps listed under Videos in the main Audi app (three dots in the upper right)
-Run Kodi and go to Settings->Appearance and change skin to 're-touched' (this is a skin optimized for tablets).

-Go back to the home screen of Kodi and go under Videos->Files
-Brwoser into sdcard1 (that's the external card) and PRESS AND HOLD on the 'DVDMOVIES' folder for a second and release. You will get a pop-up menu, and pick 'Set Content' at the bottom.
-In the upper left, change the content to 'Movies'. In the upper right, I prefer the 'Universal Movie' scraper which you can install (under 'Get more...'). Make sure the selection for 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' is set to ON (that's how it figures out the movie's title). Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-Repeat the above and now PRESS AND HOLD on the 'DVDTV' folder. In the upper left, change the content to 'TV'. Make sure the selection for 'Selected folder contains a single TV show' is set to OFF. Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-Repeat the above and now PRESS AND HOLD on the 'Individual' folder. In the upper left, change the content to 'Movies'. I prefer the 'Universal Movie' scraper which you can install (under 'Get more...'). Make sure the selection for 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' is set to OFF (because the title is in the filename!). Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-In Kodi->Settings->Videos->Library, make sure 'Update library on starup' is ON, to ensure your library catalog is up-to-date when you launch. Or you can instead manually update the library under the gear icon in the upper right when looking at the library (for instance, when you are on Wifi to reach the internet for the scrapers).

-Go to the home page in Kodi and the Movies and TV libraries should list all the media. The icon in the lower right with the 4 horizontal lines will change the view between list, icon, info, etc. Press the icon of the media to start watching. Enjoy your new Q7 with your children turning into mindless video watching zombies.

***If you wish to use a Wifi storage device instead of SD Cards, you will instead 'Add source...' under Video->Files in Kodi, and can browse the networked shares (or appropriate URL/IP address) to add the folder of choice. Then assign the media type, scraper, etc. The major downside to this over the SD cards, in my opinion, is that you will need to bring and power the wifi storage device wherever you go outside the tablet to play the movies (getting food at a restaurant, in the hotel, at grandma's, etc).
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evan Mair
New to the forum (and former A4, A5, and Q7 leasee) and wanted to share my experience with the RSE on my friend's new Q7, in the hopes it would help others, as per the current thread.

I wanted to share a DVD archive (ripped DVD folders thanks to DVDFab) with my friend, as well as, enable playback of individual movie files (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc), and make it DEAD simple for kids to use. Figuring this out took some effort to get it 'just right', so I am hoping to save others the time.

The solution was to use Kodi, which is free from the Google Play store, and two 128 GB SD cards (for the two monitors, around $35 each on Amazon).

-Put the card in the tablet and use the android system settings (under storage) to format (Important so that you know Android can access it!). Then dismount the card and remove.
-Put the card in a PC (use USB adapter if needed).
-Create an empty file (with any text editor) in the root folder called .nomedia (yes, there is a period at the beginning of the filename). This will prevent the Audi media app (and Android media apps in general) from looking on the card for media to play, and therefore give you a nice clean empty screen from the main Audi app.
-Now create a 'DVDMOVIES' folder, a 'DVDTV' folder, and an 'Individual' folder in the root folder.

-Copy all your individual DVD MOVIE folders (the folder should be the name of the movie with underscores instead of spaces, and it will contain AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subfolders) into the 'DVDMOVIES' folder.
-Copy all your individual DVD TV folders (the folder should be the name of the TV show with underscores instead of spaces, and it will contain AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subfolders within separate Season/Episode folders) into the 'DVDTV' folder.
-Copy all your individual movie files (hopefully they have filenames that correspond to the movie and year released) into the 'Individual Folder'.
(You will repeat the above copying to add new media later too)

-Put the card in the tablet
-Make sure the tablet is on your HOME wifi, with access to the internet.
-Make sure you are logged into a Google account for access to the Play store.
-Install Kodi and add it to the apps listed under Videos in the main Audi app (three dots in the upper right)
-Run Kodi and go to Settings->Appearance and change skin to 're-touched' (this is a skin optimized for tablets).

-Go back to the home screen of Kodi and go under Videos->Files
-Brwoser into sdcard1 (that's the external card) and PRESS AND HOLD on the 'DVDMOVIES' folder for a second and release. You will get a pop-up menu, and pick 'Set Content' at the bottom.
-In the upper left, change the content to 'Movies'. In the upper right, I prefer the 'Universal Movie' scraper which you can install (under 'Get more...'). Make sure the selection for 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' is set to ON (that's how it figures out the movie's title). Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-Repeat the above and now PRESS AND HOLD on the 'DVDTV' folder. In the upper left, change the content to 'TV'. Make sure the selection for 'Selected folder contains a single TV show' is set to OFF. Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-Repeat the above and now PRESS AND HOLD on the 'Individual' folder. In the upper left, change the content to 'Movies'. I prefer the 'Universal Movie' scraper which you can install (under 'Get more...'). Make sure the selection for 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' is set to OFF (because the title is in the filename!). Press OK and it will ask to scan the folder for media, downloading information and a media cover.
-In Kodi->Settings->Videos->Library, make sure 'Update library on starup' is ON, to ensure your library catalog is up-to-date when you launch. Or you can instead manually update the library under the gear icon in the upper right when looking at the library (for instance, when you are on Wifi to reach the internet for the scrapers).

-Go to the home page in Kodi and the Movies and TV libraries should list all the media. The icon in the lower right with the 4 horizontal lines will change the view between list, icon, info, etc. Press the icon of the media to start watching. Enjoy your new Q7 with your children turning into mindless video watching zombies.

***If you wish to use a Wifi storage device instead of SD Cards, you will instead 'Add source...' under Video->Files in Kodi, and can browse the networked shares (or appropriate URL/IP address) to add the folder of choice. Then assign the media type, scraper, etc. The major downside to this over the SD cards, in my opinion, is that you will need to bring and power the wifi storage device wherever you go outside the tablet to play the movies (getting food at a restaurant, in the hotel, at grandma's, etc).

This is great. Can you post a link to the SD card from Amazon that you purchased? I would like to avoid some conflict with the tablet.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
This is great. Can you post a link to the SD card from Amazon that you purchased? I would like to avoid some conflict with the tablet.
Honestly, any SD card will do (SDHC, actually, since you want a BIG one of 64GB or more). Don't waste money on faster Class 10 cards - you don't need to read/write that fast - they are generally used in cameras.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

BTW, here's a link to the free 'beta' Windows version of DVDFab, for those looking to rip their DVD's:

Latest Beta Versions - DVDFab Forum
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nmsbytor
I bet they are justifying this price with the durability they engineered into it. They apparently are shatter proof. Some anti glare technology as well.

Who knows, maybe both of those "features" were for the mythical tablets they showed off and not the POS ones that they gave us.
They also have to be able to stand up to the heat of being in the car on a summer day.

I hope to be able to add the car wifi as a line to my existing at&t account, which is grandfathered in with unlimited data.

We are a non-DVD, streaming only family. I pick up my tablets today. I hope we are happy...
Old 05-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay,

I have files is digital format and wanted to put them on a SD Card and leave it at that. My dealer wont take them back as I had ordered them from the factory when I built the Car. it was easy to put some files on and pay videos and music. So I go get me some 128gb cards and tried for off and on for a few days. different types of files, different types of formatting etc... It seems that the largest card that I can get it to read is 64GB. I did not do as the previous post and load kodi. I just wanted a couple of digital movies for the kids, trying to keep it simple. not sure if I can load some movies on a 128gb usb and see if that works. just wanted to share.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System