Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 3.0T ECU or Piggyback tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Burger Motorsports has a piggyback in the works for the 3.0. It's currently in Beta and due out soon. If you ran in the BMW circle, their JB4 is the de facto standard on that platform.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi707
Ahh! So I should wait then. From all of your experience with Audi and TD1, I should work on upgrading my exhaust, brakes etc...before tune?

BUT after looking at racechip, the company claims no trace! My Dodge diesel I had prior was mini maxx tuned and supposedly left no trace as well and my warranty was still ok

Has anyone had warranty work done with racechip?
Yes, I've had my car in a few times, I just remove the racechip prior to service, it takes 2 min from start to finish to remove the piggyback brain. And was never an issue.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes piggy back tunes are good for this. Can be removed with no trace whatsoever so as long as you remove it before taking it to dealer, you won't get flagged for TD1

downside is they are not as good as ECU remaps in terms of power gain and/or smoothness of power delivery.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
yes piggy back tunes are good for this. Can be removed with no trace whatsoever so as long as you remove it before taking it to dealer, you won't get flagged for TD1

downside is they are not as good as ECU remaps in terms of power gain and/or smoothness of power delivery.
This....
Old 05-01-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101

thanks! Just wondering because my closest Audi dealers are a 4hr radius

With prior chipped rig, ive had dodge recalls with the motor and emissions. The service dept would always do the service and would tell me it’s not parts that the tuner changes. Since I deleted all emissions.

I live in Humboldt county in California where regular smog check is not required. It’s strait pipe land and almost 90% diesels and Subaru’s have no emissions. So I could have the most illegal Q7 that is smog exempt if I get the right tune
Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be helpfull Racechip GTS black is the strongest one
https://www.racechip.eu/shop/audi/q7...5kw-440nm.html
Old 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Not so tempted anymore

Hello Gents,
so after few months , I kinda cooled off on tuning the 7. Indeed, an APR stage 1 flash would add some nice power, but the trade off losing the warranty (i even bought the 120k extended) is not worth it for me. So far, 5 of us, car ski season loaded, cargo box, did just fine(for what is intended to do for us-main fam platform). Did not feel underpowered up/down to Tahoe.
kinda cooled off slamming it too. Rides perfect for now.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
Hello Gents,
so after few months , I kinda cooled off on tuning the 7. Indeed, an APR stage 1 flash would add some nice power, but the trade off losing the warranty (i even bought the 120k extended) is not worth it for me. So far, 5 of us, car ski season loaded, cargo box, did just fine(for what is intended to do for us-main fam platform). Did not feel underpowered up/down to Tahoe.
kinda cooled off slamming it too. Rides perfect for now.
Cheers,
Bob
no arguments there. it's a solid vehicle from factory
Old 05-03-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
400km fuel range or 400 kmh top speed? One sounds abysmally low and the other just straight up impossible.

What am I missing?
My mistake I wrote HP (horse Power ) in my native language which is KM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity, has anyone using a piggyback been able to confirm that they're not flagged as TD1 in the Audi system and was able to have engine warranty repairs done (not routine scheduled maintenance from like Audi Care)? I don't think that when we bring our vehicles in for routine maintenance, they're not going to outright tell us that they detected modifications and have flagged it as TD1. The TD1 flagging was only brought up to me in the past when attempting to claim warranty repairs related to the engine (in my case, it was an ECU tune, so I already knew the risk when I bought the Avant used).

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 3.0T ECU or Piggyback tunes?