Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Cabin Heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 Cabin Heat

Hi all,

We just picked up a 2018 Q7 A couple weeks ago and I just have a question about the cabin heat.

With all 4 zones on auto we’re not getting any heat out of the center dash vents, even when we turn it all the way up to Hi. Is that normal?

We took the Q7 out on a day trip yesterday, and it was quite cold in the center console area, and for our legs closest to the center console. I kept having to switch it off auto to blow heat out of the center vents, but then the windshield would fog up. It was about -25C outside.

I’m bringing it in Monday to have it looked at, but just thought I’d ask.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.
Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake

Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?
Never
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up
Old 02-10-2019, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mattwhit

I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

Originally Posted by Polonium1
This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.
This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up
See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

FWIW... driving around today I was messing with the footwell temperature settings, definitely makes a difference...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Two days ago I was driving for about an hour (mostly in traffic though) and the heat gauge wasn't up more than 3 steps yet. Inside the cabin on "Hi" and high blowing and it was still cold (-26C outside).
I find the car takes a lot longer to warm up if the RPM is low and even when it gets high it takes quite a while to warm up inside the cabin compared to our other SUV. Mentioned it to the dealer when I took for service last time and they said it's normal. The list of things I'm not 100% happy with is just growing. I had higher expectation from the car.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 Cabin Heat