Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving

Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the rear hatch open while I was driving. Both times stuff slid out into the street. I was alerted tonight by a helpful driver and I slowed down and pulled over. I had to turn around and go back to a busy intersection and pick up expensive Audi accessories from the street.
i always put the key fob in the slot in the middle console. In the car I only use the button on the driver door to open the hatch when parked.
Cant figure out what is causing this but worries me greatly if I am on the freeway or turnpike going 80.
i saw a thread here about the hatch opening while parked or in the garage but nothing about it opening while driving.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw
Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the rear hatch open while I was driving. Both times stuff slid out into the street. I was alerted tonight by a helpful driver and I slowed down and pulled over. I had to turn around and go back to a busy intersection and pick up expensive Audi accessories from the street.
i always put the key fob in the slot in the middle console. In the car I only use the button on the driver door to open the hatch when parked.
Cant figure out what is causing this but worries me greatly if I am on the freeway or turnpike going 80.
i saw a thread here about the hatch opening while parked or in the garage but nothing about it opening while driving.
I've never even heard of this happening.

Brice this is a serious safety issue, if the dealership can't fix it you should immediately email AOA. I imagine that they will be very helpful for this.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I've never even heard of this happening.

Brice this is a serious safety issue, if the dealership can't fix it you should immediately email AOA. I imagine that they will be very helpful for this.
t
Thanks for your reply. Yes I will call on Monday.
This is my 10th Audi and my very first SUV. It’s a black on black fully loaded Prestige.
From your past ownerships you are very familiar with the Q7.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the key fob button is pressed while driving will the hatch open? Has anyone tested this (at slow speed)?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw
Holy s**t! What if your dogs were in the back and you were doing 70 on the highway? I’m gonna assume small children are in a car seat. #audibetatester #crappysoftware #lastaudi

Last edited by Corgiman; 09-30-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 09-30-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My hitch has not opened while drive but he has opened a few times on its own. I parked my car in the street and upon exiting I see my truck wide open. Wtf. I only carry the key fob and I am pretty sure I did not press the trunk releas.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't they read the diagnositcs and confirm exactly when it received the "signal" to open it, or was it opened by trigger from inside (short in the lines somewhere?). At least you can tell that if it was opened at 3AM, you know you didn't hit that button.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:10 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

This is scary... While it hasn't happened in a while, I've had the hatch open a few times while parked (engine off), but never while driving..

Even if my Q is running while parked I can't open the hatch with the FOB..
Old 10-01-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
If the key fob button is pressed while driving will the hatch open? Has anyone tested this (at slow speed)?
I tested this today in both Drive and Reverse. Neither from the key fob nor the door switch did the did the hatch open. I did this both standing still and while moving. In fact the key fob door lock and unlock buttons also did not work.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could you have simply forgotten to close the hatch before getting into the car to drive? I'd assume if the hatch opens by itself while you're driving, you should hear the wind gushing sound?

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving