Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q7 sunroof rattle

I have noticed a few rattles in my 2019 Q7. I took it to the dealership and they said they fixed them, but they didn’t. Rattles are still there. Took my son with me to pinpoint them. He said they’re definitely coming from the sunroof area. I had him record the sounds. Any suggestions on what to tell the dealership. I’m headed back there on Friday. I want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out. FYI, it’s a pano sunroof. I’ve heard other having problems with them so I’m ready for bad news.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

2018 Q7 Prestige, took delivery March 16 this year; (I know, right? COVID car!) Upon test drive, I noticed a rattle with road bumps and it too was coming from the sun roof / sun shade. Upon a number of retractions and closures of the shade, the shade skipped off it's track on the drivers side (leading edge/frame/crossbar thingy) and would not fully come forward to close. The dealership placed the shade back in track, indicating that although it appeared to be working for the moment, they were ordering a full shade replacement to install. I believe that included track as well. While waiting for the replacement to come in, we did not operate the shade but the rattle was still present. Once replacement was installed, rattle went away and everything seems to be running hot, straight, and normal. I did not take full advantage of open roof much this year, yet I have no real concerns at this point.
Moral of this story: Rattle meant sun shade was loose and/or coming off it's track. Bad track and/or liner the culprit. Dealer did not hesitate to replace. I do not know if there may be a TSB floating out there on this subject.
Good luck!
(Yes, rattles and squeaks are the bane of my driving existence.)
Old 11-12-2020, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. My family thinks I’m crazy with how much these rattles drove me nuts! I drove a Honda Odyssey before the Q7. For 5 years I never heard a rattle. So spending this kind of $ on a car that rattles after 1 year irks me a bit.

Dealership said the sunshade did unclip, and they placed it back. But rattle is still present I hear it more when the sunshade is retracted, which makes me think it’s the sunroof. The rattle is getting louder with time. 👎🏼
Old 11-12-2020, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Its a pretty annoying sound and it'll drive anyone nuts, especially when going over small bumps. I think you're having the same problem I had.

I've noticed it worse when the weather is warmer and pano roof expand. The dealer's replaced my entire pano roof before and the problem only went away for a few months. It was a big job.

My dealer's got more experience since. One day, I had the lead tech take a ride with me for another issue. Since I had him, I asked him what he does to get rid of the noise when I complain. He told me he just applies Armorall around the entire sunroof where the rubber parts meet. Just use Armourall and a paper towel or rag. This means tilting the sunroof and applying Amorall to the back and sides of the panel. I find the back of the panel is the worst noise source. You just have to keep adjusting the panel to get to all the rubber contact points.

I fix it myself nowadays.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephanie Martin
Yes. My family thinks I’m crazy with how much these rattles drove me nuts! I drove a Honda Odyssey before the Q7. For 5 years I never heard a rattle. So spending this kind of $ on a car that rattles after 1 year irks me a bit.

Dealership said the sunshade did unclip, and they placed it back. But rattle is still present I hear it more when the sunshade is retracted, which makes me think it’s the sunroof. The rattle is getting louder with time. 👎🏼
How much money you spend on a car is irrelevant when it comes to squeaks or rattles. What is relevant is the size of the sunroof in the Odyssey compared to the size of the roof in the Q7. The roof in the Odyssey is puny in comparison and isn't exposed to the same torsional forces as the roof in the Audi. That being said, this is a known issue and you need to be persistent with the dealer and get the shop foreman to come on a drive with you. The pano roof frame in my '17 was replaced under warranty because of rattles. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Get them to clean all the sunroof track mechanism and re-lube. I had them do this more than once on my 2017. I threatened the dealer with a statement that more or less said I am not getting the car back until you fix it.
They were going to go down the route of sourcing new sunroof frame bolts from Germany or even look into replacing the entire assembly. It was not required. Proper maintenance of this sunroof is necessary. I ask my dealer to do it every time I am in for an oil change.
My more local dealer (who I actually do not use) said they do this service every Q7 every oil change. It's "standard procedure" for them now...