Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

21" wheels on steel spring suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" wheels on steel spring suspension?

Anybody here have the 21" wheels on steel springs? How's your ride? Do you have regrets, or it's all good? I'll be buying winter tires and additional rims as it's the law here.

The CPO I'm looking at has those 21" ones, and my roads have lots of potholes and cracks, etc. Worried the ride will be very harsh and my bust a tire and have no alternative. You think a dealer could swap them? I imagine it can be done... (guess I should ask).
Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markeee
Anybody here have the 21" wheels on steel springs? How's your ride? Do you have regrets, or it's all good? I'll be buying winter tires and additional rims as it's the law here.

The CPO I'm looking at has those 21" ones, and my roads have lots of potholes and cracks, etc. Worried the ride will be very harsh and my bust a tire and have no alternative. You think a dealer could swap them? I imagine it can be done... (guess I should ask).
I have steel springs and 21s... No complaints at all... ride is supper smooth and controlled... the roads where I live stay in pretty good shape so can't speak to potholes... I do drive over railroad tracks and the ride is surprisingly well controlled and not harsh... I was worried that not having the air suspension was going to really making me want it... I'm really happy but could also be ignorant bliss...
Old 08-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's the thing, it's all relative - I'm coming from a 2nd generation Acura MDX, which by today's standards isn't cushy at all. My wife and I like a ride to be comfy for our crappy roads here. Roads feel like perpetual railroad tracks.... (ok, at times and certain places). I wonder if 20" wheels make a night and day difference or it's like a 5% feel difference *roll eyes*. Like I said, I'm 100% getting a second set of wheels for winter by law, so all-seasons aren't that important. I guess the one issue is road trips and blowing a tire - what to do except getting towed. I've yet to have a blown tire while driving - knock on wood.

You on Pirelli summers?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just got rid of a 2012 MDX Advanced (bigger wheels 19" with adaptive suspension) the Acura is definitely not in the same class when it comes to ride quality... The control and smoothness the Q7 exhibits is very impressive. It takes a lot to unsettle it... I only drove the 21" equipped... I'm pretty sure it's a subtle difference, not night and day... may too depend on the tires (I have the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S)

Last edited by mattwhit; 08-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now that's a reply I like to hear - hahaha - nice to hear - my MDX is a 2009, so one generation older. So it will be even bigger the difference. Thanks!

Ever worry about blowing your 21" tires on road trips and not having a spare? you got a repair kit and pump?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Only 800 miles so far... road trips coming up but not concerned... haven't had to change a tire in 20 years... yes, I have the kit and pump...
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mattwhit
Only 800 miles so far... road trips coming up but not concerned... haven't had to change a tire in 20 years... yes, I have the kit and pump...
Same here Thanks man. Have a good one.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the 21inch wheels with Continental run flat tires. Ride quality is great. Recommend getting wheel/tire warranty package. Already replaced left rear due to screw. Tire costs $450.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Q came with the 21" wheels and non-RFT option with steel springs. No issues. I use the wheels for winter with some Nokian tires in 265/45R21 sizing and are fantastic. For the summer I have aftermarket 21" wheels and went to 295 after trying out the 285s. Ride was fine but wanted to have a meatier look vs the 285 on a 10" wide wheel.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, I see you're in Ottawa - So you've likely had some bad roads if you've come to Quebec and driven over our corrupt roads hahaha

Originally Posted by Jimminez
My Q came with the 21" wheels and non-RFT option with steel springs. No issues. I use the wheels for winter with some Nokian tires in 265/45R21 sizing and are fantastic. For the summer I have aftermarket 21" wheels and went to 295 after trying out the 285s. Ride was fine but wanted to have a meatier look vs the 285 on a 10" wide wheel.

Quick Reply: 21" wheels on steel spring suspension?