Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

21inch Wheels without Active Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21inch Wheels without Active Suspension

Anyone got this configuration.
I was not able to get the active suspension.
I have 20 inch wheels which look good but not awesome
worried that 21 may effect the drive which currently is the perfect balance between comfort yet responsive
Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

We ordered 21" with steel springs. Will have it in about 2 weeks. Test drove one without air but only had 20" wheels and ride was great. My Macan has 21" and steel springs and it is fine. Roads here are smooth. If you have bad roads, your experience may be different
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Simon Townsend
Anyone got this configuration.
I was not able to get the active suspension.
I have 20 inch wheels which look good but not awesome
worried that 21 may effect the drive which currently is the perfect balance between comfort yet responsive
I just got mine the other day prestige with 21" wheels and no air suspension that also comes with all wheel steering. Nice solid ride that is comfortable. I have read in the car magazines that the suspension option is not worth it and the ride can be rougher.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin_33
I just got mine the other day prestige with 21" wheels and no air suspension that also comes with all wheel steering. Nice solid ride that is comfortable. I have read in the car magazines that the suspension option is not worth it and the ride can be rougher.
I was under the impression all wheel steering was only available with the air suspension -- do tell if I'm mistaken!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcook
I was under the impression all wheel steering was only available with the air suspension -- do tell if I'm mistaken!
Yes, at least in our market, 4-wheel steering is only bundled with air suspension in the adaptive chassis package. You cannot have either by itself without the other. Perhaps he just mis-worded that sentence. If the car doesn't have air suspension, then it doesn't have 4-wheel steering either.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin_33

I would think the ride would be rougher without the air suspension. Every reviewer I came across spoke about how much more compliant and quiet the ride was with air suspension.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never take 21 inch wheels without air suspension. Unless you truly have excellent roads and no off roads, the ride will be too uncomfortable. With the air suspension you can compensate a little. I ordered the sline sport suspension, and even am a little afraid of that combination. Probably wont be using sport alot, but rhe price with the same equipment goes up several thousand euros without the s line package. Annoying.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered a Prestige with standard suspension and 21" wheels b/c I don't want the air suspension and I don't care for the looks of the 20" wheels. Test drove both setups and came away with the impression that the only real difference that was noticeable to me was turning radius. I'm never going to drive it in any mode other than Dynamic. Ultimately, I'm a little surprised there aren't more factory wheel options available.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Ours has 21" with steel springs. Rides great! No problems with U turns on 4 lane divided roads with 2 wheel steering
Old 04-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes all wheel steering, only comes with the Air Suspension. I do not have the Air Suspension. Also I did not like the looks of the 20" wheels and got the 21's. I like the ride in the new Q7. I have the air ride in my A8L and by coincidence ending up getting the same type of wheels.

Quick Reply: 21inch Wheels without Active Suspension