Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

3.0 T gone in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Ha Ha, I was not shouting at the poster, just angry at VW. This was my turn to finally get into a Diesel. And then the scandal happened. As a matter of fact I have held of the purchase for a year now hoping it will clear, but no luck. Diesels have been pulled by most German car makers here.
I know how you feel, bro! Too bad VW/Audi stopped diesel sales in North America. I don't know why they needed to cheat anyway. If it needs a little bit more DEF to keep emissions clean, I am sure Owners won't complain. But, never say never. BMW announced that they are making more diesel variants of the 3-series and X-series available in North America. Diesel sales makes up for 25% of overall VW/Audi sales in North America. Now that this market has been abandoned, BMW is jumping right in to take advantage of this opportunity. Time will tell if VW/Audi will jump back into the diesel market.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Ha Ha, I was not shouting at the poster, just angry at VW. This was my turn to finally get into a Diesel. And then the scandal happened. As a matter of fact I have held of the purchase for a year now hoping it will clear, but no luck. Diesels have been pulled by most German car makers here.
I was bummed, too. I would have bought the TDI in a heartbeat! I drove the MK I with the 'earlier' TDI (lower gas mileage, probably before the software enhancement). Awesome, and very impressed but, very narrow torque band. The later TDI was even better, better gas mileage, and a little faster. Then came the software....
Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Europe controls things via taxes. Car taxes are based on engine size, so bigger engines are not very popular. They are selling lots of engines as small as 1.4T. You don't see many 2.0 either. Diesel is mostly Germany, which has very favorable taxes for diesel, but it backfired. Many cities are more polluted now than they were before due to NOx emissions and yes they are starting to consider banning diesel in inner cities.
Same in India too. That's why we have VWs and Audis with 1.4 TFSI and 1.5 TDI (since cars above 1500cc have to pay more tax, i.e., falls into the next tax slab; 1.5TDI isn't available anywhere else).

The extra torque in Diesel engines is fun actually. Everyone loves the strong push into the seats and the locomotive-like pulling capacity.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am too simplistic in thinking... diesel engines are always going to fail emission tests, if left as it is... which was why Adblue was put into the mix, no? The moment Adblue runs out, the car goes back to its old dirty ways.

Theorectically owners should have their diesel Q7s also fueled with Adblue, and that ought to be fine with the regulators?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Diesel engines cause more pollution that petrol engines. But then again. Not everyone cares for the environment. And the torque is addictive!!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The much higher horsepower in US 3.0 TFSI engine makes it faster 0-60 (or 0-100 km) than the standard diesel elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern diesels don't produce more pollution necessarily, just different types of emissions. For example, diesels produce less Co2 than gasoline engines, but produce more NoX. Diesels are favored in Europe and the UK for larger passenger vehicles because Co2 emissions is the basis for taxation, whereby NoX is not.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celestialbeing
Maybe I am too simplistic in thinking... diesel engines are always going to fail emission tests, if left as it is... which was why Adblue was put into the mix, no? The moment Adblue runs out, the car goes back to its old dirty ways.

Theorectically owners should have their diesel Q7s also fueled with Adblue, and that ought to be fine with the regulators?
The moment my Adblue runs low, the car won't start! ;-)

It's not a great solution as Adblue is pretty horrible stuff and if you don't want the dealer to do it, your left trying to pour it in via pretty flimsy plastic connectors.

I haven't risked using a pump at a fuel station yet as they're designed for lorries so the flow rate may be a bit quick to fill a 12 litre tank.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
The much higher horsepower in US 3.0 TFSI engine makes it faster 0-60 (or 0-100 km) than the standard diesel elsewhere.

0-60 is definitely better. But the torque in diesels is addictive and feels better. I do sometimes miss my diesel Jetta and diesel Vento (Polo sedan).
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
The moment my Adblue runs low, the car won't start! ;-)

It's not a great solution as Adblue is pretty horrible stuff and if you don't want the dealer to do it, your left trying to pour it in via pretty flimsy plastic connectors.

I haven't risked using a pump at a fuel station yet as they're designed for lorries so the flow rate may be a bit quick to fill a 12 litre tank.
Wait, what? No warning? Just doesn't start?

Quick Reply: 3.0 T gone in Europe?