Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Android Auto "Send Message" Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto "Send Message" Woes

Android Auto is slowly killing me. Before I dive into an exhaustive process of trial and error through many variables, I wanted to check here to see if anyone is having the same issue.

Generally, I have no difficulty getting my Android phone (Pixel XL) to work with my 2017 Q7 via Android Auto. I use Google Maps everyday on the MMI through Android Auto, I listen to audio books stored on my phone, also through Android Auto, and I listen to Google Play music, also through Android Auto. All of those things work as they should. However, when I receive a message on my cell phone from someone (SMS or Google Hangouts, typically), the following sequence of events occurs at least 50% of the time:

1. I select the message notification when it appears at the top of the MMI screen
2. Android Auto/the Q7 reads the message to me through the car speakers and then asks if I want to reply
3. I say "yes"
4. It responds, "What's the message?"
5. I dictate a message
6. It responds, "Here's your message," then reads back my message to me, then says, "Do you want to send it or change it?"
7. I reply "Send it."
8. The little dots on the MMI screen, which normally change to a sort of animated series of lines showing that you are being heard, remain static as dots on the screen. Even if I shout, "SEND IT" (and I confess I have shouted more than once, repeatedly, in great frustration," the dots do not move and the car/phone appear not to hear me.
9. If I wait long enough, Android Auto will eventually speak to me, indicating that it is still waiting for me to "send it, change it, or cancel," but it never hears me. I have to hit the BACK button and start all over.

I thought perhaps it was a cell reception issue, i.e., when I receive a message, I am getting good cell coverage, but when I get to sending my reply, I have passed out of good coverage; but I have determined that this is not the case. My cell signal is excellent throughout these little misadventures. That leaves multiple other variables:

- the phone (a Google Pixel XL with the latest Android OS)
- the microphone (car or phone? whichever one is "hearing" me -- I assume the car)
- the cable (which works fine for everything else in Android Auto)
- the app on my phone (which is the latest version of Android Auto)
- the Q7's MMI firmware (something has to allow it to process the data on some level that it sends and receives to and from the phone)

Anyone? Kill me?

Last edited by youngdoc; 04-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i get the same issue....i does get annoying. I have an s7 edge.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't even start .... My Toyota Corolla Entune system has much better BT connectivity and integrated messaging system compared to the Android Auto / Audi BT connection.
Audi's is so annoying I seldom use it now. Text message doesn't even pop up when the phone is connected with BT. I only use Android Auto for Google Search & Nav, so I don't get attached to the Audi "rip-off" Connect.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

For reply, did you try just saying "yes"? I don't have an Audi (yet), but that is what I uses on my other car. Android auto commands is not as flexible as Google commands to date.
Ex: say navigate to contact often fails, but works with Google. Instead say take me to contact. That method works.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GaryK4
For reply, did you try just saying "yes"? I don't have an Audi (yet), but that is what I uses on my other car. Android auto commands is not as flexible as Google commands to date.
Ex: say navigate to contact often fails, but works with Google. Instead say take me to contact. That method works.
I have not tried that. That said, if you wait long enough, it does specifically tell you, "you can either say 'send it' or 'change it.'" And as I mentioned, it only fails about 50% of the time -- when it does work, I am saying "send it."
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I figure whenever fails to me I turn my head slightly towards the microphone and repeat the commend and that works...even with open windows