Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Advice Request: 2017 CPO Q7 Rotors and Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice Request: 2017 CPO Q7 Rotors and Brake Pads

We purchased our CPO 2017 Q7 sometime early last year with high miles, i.e. 29,000 miles. The vehicle was only a year old and the previous owner put in a lot of miles. Now we have 39,000 miles and average of 5000 miles a year, that's what we do. The current situation is all fine except that occasionally we hear a squeaky sound when first applying the brakes. This usually occurs when we have not used the car for a few weeks. We are told and understand that the sound might have something to do with rust that occurs on the rotors.

To be on the safe side we took the vehicle in for checkup on the brakes. Upon check up we were told that the pads are marginal, but the rotors are very rust. Audi gave us a quote of $1771.71 for replacing the front pads and rotors, and $1112.65 for the replace of rear rotors and pads for a grand total of almost $2900.00 !!!. This seems like a very high quote, so in an effort to look for better options, we called a local mechanic to get his opinion - after hearing how many miles we have, and how much we drive, he said he didn't think we need to replace the rotors, maybe just the pads . If we took this route we could save a significant amount, and thinking about it.

Any suggestions based on the above would be greatly appreciated. BTW: The mm for both the rotors and pad - front and rears are as follows: Front Pads 7mm both sides, Rear Pads 8mm both sides. Rotors: Front 36 mm both sides, Rear 28 mm both sides.

Given that we did 10,000 miles - is there any chances that the wear is significant that requires replacement !.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cammot
We purchased our CPO 2017 Q7 sometime early last year with high miles, i.e. 29,000 miles. The vehicle was only a year old and the previous owner put in a lot of miles. Now we have 39,000 miles and average of 5000 miles a year, that's what we do. The current situation is all fine except that occasionally we hear a squeaky sound when first applying the brakes. This usually occurs when we have not used the car for a few weeks. We are told and understand that the sound might have something to do with rust that occurs on the rotors.

To be on the safe side we took the vehicle in for checkup on the brakes. Upon check up we were told that the pads are marginal, but the rotors are very rust. Audi gave us a quote of $1771.71 for replacing the front pads and rotors, and $1112.65 for the replace of rear rotors and pads for a grand total of almost $2900.00 !!!. This seems like a very high quote, so in an effort to look for better options, we called a local mechanic to get his opinion - after hearing how many miles we have, and how much we drive, he said he didn't think we need to replace the rotors, maybe just the pads . If we took this route we could save a significant amount, and thinking about it.

Any suggestions based on the above would be greatly appreciated. BTW: The mm for both the rotors and pad - front and rears are as follows: Front Pads 7mm both sides, Rear Pads 8mm both sides. Rotors: Front 36 mm both sides, Rear 28 mm both sides.

Given that we did 10,000 miles - is there any chances that the wear is significant that requires replacement !.

Thanks

Search for and read the squeaking brakes post. You do not need to change your pads or rotors. Audi has issued a TSB for this problem. The TSB is 2050735/3. You need to tell the dealer to apply the TSB and the brakes will be replaced for free. Audi messed up and gave everyone a brake system that squeaks when you first apply the brakes. They are fixing it for free.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

*Advice
Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a master mechanic by any means, but was able to replace my wife's Q5 pads/rotors in about 1 1/2 hour (front only), total cost was just over $200 using OEM quality replacements. Next time I think I could do it in half the time. I do have access to a friends lift, but could easily do with jackstands. At my age (75), however, I do not like to work bending over. Of course, if you can get the dealer to do it for free, then that is a no brainer. If you do not feel confident to do it yourself, or do not have time/space, then just find a good independent shop, there is nothing mysical about the job that requires special training. I watched a how-to video on line before I started, told me all I needed to know.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B1eddieB2
Search for and read the squeaking brakes post. You do not need to change your pads or rotors. Audi has issued a TSB for this problem. The TSB is 2050735/3. You need to tell the dealer to apply the TSB and the brakes will be replaced for free. Audi messed up and gave everyone a brake system that squeaks when you first apply the brakes. They are fixing it for free.

Thanks - Appreciate this feedback. I will look into it, and see if its applicable to my vehicle.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks - Appreciate this feedback. I will look into it, and see if its applicable to my vehicle.

So I call the Audi dealer as suggested, stated the issue and gave them the TSB. They looked into it and came back and said, YES - but the issue is that the brake pads are on back order. They said only the front brake pads need to be replaced, not the rotors or rear brakes. Does this sound correct !, not sure. The person I spoke with only asked a tech, who stated all this verbally, without looking at the TSB specs. Do I need to insist on the rotors being replaced and as the rear replacement ?.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Commot, Sounds like you made some progress. I don't know if your dealer is right or not. We were also told the parts were on back order. I guess you just get on a wait list for now. My understanding is that with this TSB that the dealer replaces all the break pads along with some sort of spring and pin parts. I do not think they replace the rotors, but I could be wrong. Someone who has had the TSB performed already would need to answer that question.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Commot, Sounds like you made some progress. I don't know if your dealer is right or not. We were also told the parts were on back order. I guess you just get on a wait list for now. My understanding is that with this TSB that the dealer replaces all the break pads along with some sort of spring and pin parts. I do not think they replace the rotors, but I could be wrong. Someone who has had the TSB performed already would need to answer that question.

Thats correct. For me, it was just pads and just fronts and something called a "C Spring". It has been about 1500 miles since and so far so good.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I definitely made progress after your suggestion - much appreciated. This said, here's some more background (Audi dealer 1 and 2): when I first took my vehicle in to Audi Dealer 1 to investigate the squicky sound from breaking, the Audi dealer said the pads were marginal but the rotors are very rust !.. and proceeded to give me a quote as follows: Front Brake Job Replace Pads and Rotors - $1771.71 and Rear Brake Job Replace Pads and Rotors $1112.65 All for a grand total of $2884.36 ! Outrageous! Then after I read on this forum and your suggestion to ask for the TSB and have it applied - I called them immediately and protested why I was not told this and given an outrageous quote. The service adviser said the reason they did not offer me the TSB fix, is because they believe the cause of the noise was the significant rust on the rotors. ! So I called another Audi dealer (Audi Dealer 2), from where we had originally purchased the vehicle and told them about the squicky noise and the available TSB and wanted them to apply it. They told that could apply this to the front Pads, but have to order these and would call me when they get them (back ordered). So my issue is also with Audi Dealer 1, that did not let me know about any TSB, and instead gave me a high quote for replacement !!. Don't you think they were trying to rip me off ?. I am planning to speak to the service manager about this. As far as whether they replace the rear pads, as well as the rotors, is left to be seen !. Any thoughts to this scenario?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, I definitely made progress after your suggestion - much appreciated. This said, here's some more background (Audi dealer 1 and 2): when I first took my vehicle in to Audi Dealer 1 to investigate the squicky sound from breaking, the Audi dealer said the pads were marginal but the rotors are very rust !.. and proceeded to give me a quote as follows: Front Brake Job Replace Pads and Rotors - $1771.71 and Rear Brake Job Replace Pads and Rotors $1112.65 All for a grand total of $2884.36 ! Outrageous! Then after I read on this forum and your suggestion to ask for the TSB and have it applied - I called them immediately and protested why I was not told this and given an outrageous quote. The service adviser said the reason they did not offer me the TSB fix, is because they believe the cause of the noise was the significant rust on the rotors. ! So I called another Audi dealer (Audi Dealer 2), from where we had originally purchased the vehicle and told them about the squicky noise and the available TSB and wanted them to apply it. They told that could apply this to the front Pads, but have to order these and would call me when they get them (back ordered). So my issue is also with Audi Dealer 1, that did not let me know about any TSB, and instead gave me a high quote for replacement !!. Don't you think they were trying to rip me off ?. I am planning to speak to the service manager about this. As far as whether they replace the rear pads, as well as the rotors, is left to be seen !. Any thoughts to this scenario?
Uh, yeah! They were trying to rip you off. What does marginal mean? how much pad left, versus minimum? What do you mean rust? The whole rotor has rusted, through and through??

Quick Reply: Advice Request: 2017 CPO Q7 Rotors and Brake Pads