Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Aftermarket Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Remote Start?

So we are finally looking at SUVs - first son has arrived - and the Q7 is at the top of our list since a Q5 has been deemed "too small" by my wife. We are currently eyeing a 2.0T P+ in Glacier White.

The only thing my wife can't seem to get around is no remote start. Personally, I do not see the value added in it, but for whatever reason she REALLY wants it. So I figured I'd at least look into possibilities for my wife's sake.

I feel like you'd need a VERY good mechanic to add an aftermarket remote start without jacking up all the other spiffy OEM tech... but I would have no idea.

The option for it on most other cars seems to be anywhere from 400-500 bucks as an add-on. so I assume it'd be at least that (probably more) if done as an aftermarket job.

Any color on this? Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

in Europe these come with an Aux Heater as an option as remote start is not legal.. its not offered state side and retrofitting it is a small fortune.

there is no plug and play remote start, its going to be a hack job.. and on a vehicle this expensive I'd never allow that nonsense to occur.. even with a very good person if you cant return it to 100% original and you have electrical issues of ANY kind then goodbye warranty.

Buy your wife a nice coat instead..
Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
in Europe these come with an Aux Heater as an option as remote start is not legal.. its not offered state side and retrofitting it is a small fortune.

there is no plug and play remote start, its going to be a hack job.. and on a vehicle this expensive I'd never allow that nonsense to occur.. even with a very good person if you cant return it to 100% original and you have electrical issues of ANY kind then goodbye warranty.

Buy your wife a nice coat instead..
Hahaha love the honest answer... we are in the US, and that was my point exactly. With a vehicle that expensive and already highly sophisticated, I would not want to be doing any kind of homebrew/hackjobs on it whatsoever. I just wasn't sure if anyone had actually done it before. I'd assume not.

For us, it wouldn't be a coat though... she's more referring to starting the car early to cool it off... Tennessee gets pretty uncomfortably hot in Summer. So a really nice ice pack will have to do...
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Find a guy with a vag-com and recode the vehicle so you can roll down all the windows with your keyfob, I do it all summer long... as soon as I'm within range in the parking lot all the windows come down.

also window tint helps alot with the surfaces, so with all the windows open for a few moments before I reach the vehicle most of the oven heat has escaped and been replaced with ambient air.. dont get black leather, and the seat cooling helps more than I thought it would.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 06-15-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsy21
So we are finally looking at SUVs - first son has arrived - and the Q7 is at the top of our list since a Q5 has been deemed "too small" by my wife. We are currently eyeing a 2.0T P+ in Glacier White.

The only thing my wife can't seem to get around is no remote start. Personally, I do not see the value added in it, but for whatever reason she REALLY wants it. So I figured I'd at least look into possibilities for my wife's sake.

I feel like you'd need a VERY good mechanic to add an aftermarket remote start without jacking up all the other spiffy OEM tech... but I would have no idea.

The option for it on most other cars seems to be anywhere from 400-500 bucks as an add-on. so I assume it'd be at least that (probably more) if done as an aftermarket job.

Any color on this? Thanks
Check out this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...alled-2908663/
Old 06-15-2017, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Find a guy with a vag-com and recode the vehicle so you can roll down all the windows with your keyfob, I do it all summer long... as soon as I'm within range in the parking lot all the windows come down.

also window tint helps alot with the surfaces, so with all the windows open for a few moments before I reach the vehicle most of the oven heat has escaped and been replaced with ambient air.. dont get black leather, and the seat cooling helps more than I thought it would.
I thought our Qs did that with the remote without any coding, no?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My MK1 Q7 didnt, nor did my RS6 or any of my many VDubs.. yet I recoded every one of em (w/power windows) to do this; after a decade and a half I couldent live w/out it.

Dunno bout MK2 Q7, you could probably ask a dealer to enable it if its not enabled.. but my Vag com is so old it has a serial port on it so I never have em do this kinda stuff.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 06-15-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Specifically, post#7 answers your questions.

Also see this:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...arter-2896959/