Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Annoying Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying Issues

I have a 2017 Prestige. You can not turn the radio off. You can turn the volume down or mute it but you cannot turn it off. I can't believe that this does not bother anyone else. When you start it up later the muting is gone and once again you have to turn it down and mute it. The tire light low pressure light comes on for no reason. All tires have the proper inflation and yet I have a low pressure light. Really annoying! Audi should add an on off switch to the radio and correct their tire monitoring issues. Today, almost any luxury car will tell you the tire pressure in each tire and which one has a problem if there is one that is flat. This really needs work! Am I missing something?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scotstern
I have a 2017 Prestige. You can not turn the radio off. You can turn the volume down or mute it but you cannot turn it off. I can't believe that this does not bother anyone else. When you start it up later the muting is gone and once again you have to turn it down and mute it. The tire light low pressure light comes on for no reason. All tires have the proper inflation and yet I have a low pressure light. Really annoying! Audi should add an on off switch to the radio and correct their tire monitoring issues. Today, almost any luxury car will tell you the tire pressure in each tire and which one has a problem if there is one that is flat. This really needs work! Am I missing something?
Have you set your tire pressure in the MMI? And I believe the Q7 uses ABS to detect pressure not TPMS.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
Have you set your tire pressure in the MMI? And I believe the Q7 uses ABS to detect pressure not TPMS.
^^^ It's what Djpeaksd said. Adjust tire pressure to values you want and then perform tire pressure monitoring calibration procedure in the MMI.
As far as radio operation - it is a matter of habit mostly... You can turn radio/media off by pressing small button in the middle of the central lower console section when you don't want to use it. Pressing small wheel-button on the right hand side of the steering wheel controls does the same. When you switch it on again it will be at the same sound volume level it was left before turning it off. As of per my knowledge radios are set this way in all VAG vehicles.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 09-25-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the radio wont turn off issue as well, during recent one year service I had a software update, don't know what it addressed specifically but haven't had the radio issue return as of yet.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you mute the radio, it stays that way whenever you start the vehicle and till the point when you decide to un-mute it. If it does not stay that way, then you need to have the dealer take a look at it. Regarding the TPMS, Audi decided to move away from it due to technical issues associated with replacing the sensors when they run out of battery.

Both these topics (radio mute & TPMS) have been discussed extensively here in the forum. You should find sufficient information.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My radio definitely un-mutes every time the car is restarted. On another subject, how about the fact that you cannot lock the car without a key fob? You cannot lock it and then slam the door, or lock it from the outside unless.....you have the key fob......annoying......
Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My radio definitely un-mutes every time the car is restarted.
Have the dealer look at it. I believe there is a software update that should resolve this.

On another subject, how about the fact that you cannot lock the car without a key fob? You cannot lock it and then slam the door, or lock it from the outside unless.....you have the key fob......annoying......
Why would you want to lock the vehicle without the key fob? You could always use the Audi smartphone app to lock/unlock remotely if thats what you want.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007

Why would you want to lock the vehicle without the key fob? You could always use the Audi smartphone app to lock/unlock remotely if thats what you want.
I'll tell you why. We took a boat from Key West to Fort Myers, got there after a very long day to spend the night before driving home in the AM. The battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. We we able to drive to the hotel but as soon as I turned it off, there was nothing. No way to lock the doors! We had to have it towed to a safe place at the tow yard in the middle of the night and then towed in the morning to Fort Myers Audi who gave us a new battery under warranty. Not a fun experience.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
Regarding the TPMS, Audi decided to move away from it due to technical issues associated with replacing the sensors when they run out of battery.
Just to clarify, TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is the term used by all monitoring systems. I believe you are referring to "active" TPMS which uses individual wheel pressure sensors (and is no longer used in most Audi models) vs. "Passive" TPMS which uses the ABS/wheel rotational method to monitor the tire pressures.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I'll tell you why. We took a boat from Key West to Fort Myers, got there after a very long day to spend the night before driving home in the AM. The battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. We we able to drive to the hotel but as soon as I turned it off, there was nothing. No way to lock the doors! We had to have it towed to a safe place at the tow yard in the middle of the night and then towed in the morning to Fort Myers Audi who gave us a new battery under warranty. Not a fun experience.
How is that unique to Q7 ??? Any new vehicle that uses keyless entry has exactly the same issue. You could have use the mechanical key that's in the keyfob to lock/unlock the doors. Not very convenient, I agree, but the process exists for this sort of emergencies.

Quick Reply: Annoying Issues