Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi decision to switch to runflat tires for Q7: A bonehead move?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Audi decision to switch to runflat tires for Q7: A bonehead move?

I cannot believe Audi bent over backwards for this. BMW is stubborn for having runflats and I have never ever ever had great experience with runflat and always have far better experience with regular tires on my BMW 3 and 5 in the past. I really despise and loathe runflats for a very long time. We leased a 2015 BMW X5d and the michelin run flats were so pathetic in the snow compared to the 2013 Ml350 with the exact same tire size and loading and same Michelin Latitude Tour HP all season tires. The only difference was ML350 was nonrunflat and the X5 had the runflat sidewalls. The X5 slipped and slide like a skater on ice and couldn't climb the simple 40 degree grade driveway and took 4 tries to get it up to speed to get up the driveway in 6 inch of snow. So pathetic until i switched out the "RUNCRAPS" for amazing Michelin Primacy LTX tires nonrunflat 19 inch rims and that X5 drove like a tank in the snow. As good as my 2016 Audi A7 with 19 inch Blizzaks LM32 tires!!!!

Also runflats ride harsher and transmit road irregularities more then non-runflats even with air suspension on the BMWs and its annoying like a vibration from a slightly unbalanced wheel or tire. So annoying. They cost more money and are a pain to balance and fix. A simple potholes tend to bubble these runfalts tires alot vs the non flats tires which never never bubbles. If you look at the reviews on Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels, the survey shows that runflat tires are so far worse then their non-runflat counterparts goes to show that this technology is in its infancy and is not worth it.

Hence my point is that tires are a huge thing as to how a car or suv will ride, feel or grab the road (snow or rain). Audi's move to runflat on the Q7 is so dumb and a bit shortsighted to just save few lbs of weight. Runfalts are so harsh and heavy about 10 lbs more then the nonrunflat counterpart! Heck a damn simple spare is only 30 lbs!! SO really you are not saving weight! You are causing more headache for not having a spare. My X5d I order from factory was with optional spare tire/wheel in the cargo hold below the main cabin so its perfect but the Q7 you can't do it! I know from experience with 28k miles of driving a year, I get a flat approx 1 time every 5 years and those tires (Michelins, Bridgestones) have very slow leak and I can still drive on them. I dont think runflats are a economical wise decision.They hamper the car handling and make it unnatural. I will ditch those runflats if I get the new Q7 at the end of my BMW lease. The X5 rides so smooth, quieter and had far better traction on the regular tires. I hope the Q7 does the same. I am going to be pissed if they ever get the new A8L or A7 that comes with runflats and no room for spare like my current Audis.

Last edited by Baloo588; 01-15-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Audi's move to runflat on the Q7 is so dumb and a bit shortsighted to just save few lbs of weight. .
I can only speak to the 21's on my 2017 Prestige Q7, but they are non-runflats. I'm unsure what the 19's & 20's are, but I have it confirmed the 21's are not run flat.
Z
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Run-flats tires is one of the major reasons why I decided to order a S5 instead of a BMW 435ix.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Yeah, runflats aren't great, but so are all season tires. They both suck. Every winter we have members on these forums who wreck their cars on all season tires, learning the lesson the hard way. Anyway, these tires exist for the average driver that doesn't bother checking their tire pressure, doesn't regularly inspect their tires, doesn't know how to change a tire if they have a flat and doesn't wanna bother changing tires when the season changes. Those are the majority of buyers of these cars, unfortunately and that's what Audi and BMW have to cater to. The optional 21 inch wheels come with non-runflat summer performance tires and BMW doesn't put runflats on their M models, either. There's a whole other reason the manufacturers are going the runflat route. They are safer. Nobody understands that donuts have a max speed limit of 50mph and are only meant for short distances. I cringe every time I see somebody going 65, 75 mph with a donut. That's why runflats exist.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 20 inch runflats. My friend is a car nut who is very atuned to this issue. He drove my car and had no idea they were runflats. There is not a person in the world that would describe the ride on these tires as harsh. I can tell you that if they suck in the snow or I burn through them in 15,000 miles, I will just replace them with regular tires.

Honestly, I think this isn't a big deal unless you are in a places where flats are common. If you don't like the runflats just replace them when the time comes. You won't have a spare but you can get a tire kit or just rely on tow trucks. You say you get a flat about every five years and it is usually slow. Replace the runflats with regular tires and forget about it.

Finally, runflats are safer. Blowouts at speed are uncommon, but less dangerous with runflats. Technology gets better every year. This is the future for sure. Could Audi be a bit early? Maybe, but you have options.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with baltfan. I'm on my third set of Goodyear runflats on my GL350. They last about 25K miles but I drive them hard. I've never had any issues with handling in the snow. I can remember several storms in the DC area where many AWD cars and crossovers were stuck and I was able to motor right along. I don't notice any unusual noise or harshness but I never driven the GL with anything else, so I have nothing to compare to. In terms of dry handling, I couldn't ask for more in a 2 ton truck. I push this thing hard in the corners and brake hard too. If I go too fast into a corner I get some front end push but that's to be expected. Other than that, I can keep up with most cars on our curvy VA backroads.

We have a lot of construction in this area and every year or less I end up replacing a tire due to a nail or screw in it. They are more expensive but I like the convenience of not having to pull over and put a spare on just to get to the tire shop. None of my other cars have run flats but none of them (A4, GT3, or E-63S) have a spare either.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

zekeman, plat27265, superswiss, baltfan, ksalno

I agree with every point you guys have made and you hit every point right with me. I am happy to hear the good feedback and comments in regards to the run-flat. Pretty much since i am the guy that checks his tire pressure routinely and re-balance the wheels/tires routinely and the alignment etc, I would be better off just accepting that the new Q7 is awesome and that I can just simple ditch the runflat and get some nice all season or summer/winter tire combo. At least the 21 inch rims come with regular rubber which is great! I might consider that option!! Heck you are right the BMW M versions come with decent Michelin Pilot Tires for those enthusiast because BMW knows those owners are more tuned to their cars.

As for Ksalno, IF you put the regular tires on your GL350 I will bet you that you will notice a HUGE improvement in ride and comfort and much better traction in the snow with the regular tire. We had done this with our Ml350 bluetec in the past and it was by far the best thing I have done. I drive them hard and I get 40k plus even wear miles on my Michelin 255/50R19 on the Ml350 which is far better then 25k with the runflats. Thats another reason why runflats are bad, they cannot last long.

Baltfan, you are right that since I rarely get a flat in this area of Michigan, I should just put my portable inflator in the trunk compartment and use it when I need it. I know alot of bad things happen when you use the goo to close up the hole in the tire and many experts and friends of mines advise against that so I will avoid that part.

Superswiss, yeah many people are so dumb and its shocking to see them driving at highway speeds with those donut spare. Such ignorance and dangerous.

Anyways guys I really really love the new Q7 and I will drive one this week. I just sat in one yesterday so that does not make me an expert in how this car rides or drive so I will give my second opinion this week. I like it more then our X5 style inside and out.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
zekeman, plat27265, superswiss, baltfan, ksalno

I agree with every point you guys have made and you hit every point right with me. I am happy to hear the good feedback and comments in regards to the run-flat. Pretty much since i am the guy that checks his tire pressure routinely and re-balance the wheels/tires routinely and the alignment etc, I would be better off just accepting that the new Q7 is awesome and that I can just simple ditch the runflat and get some nice all season or summer/winter tire combo. At least the 21 inch rims come with regular rubber which is great! I might consider that option!! Heck you are right the BMW M versions come with decent Michelin Pilot Tires for those enthusiast because BMW knows those owners are more tuned to their cars.

As for Ksalno, IF you put the regular tires on your GL350 I will bet you that you will notice a HUGE improvement in ride and comfort and much better traction in the snow with the regular tire. We had done this with our Ml350 bluetec in the past and it was by far the best thing I have done. I drive them hard and I get 40k plus even wear miles on my Michelin 255/50R19 on the Ml350 which is far better then 25k with the runflats. Thats another reason why runflats are bad, they cannot last long.

Baltfan, you are right that since I rarely get a flat in this area of Michigan, I should just put my portable inflator in the trunk compartment and use it when I need it. I know alot of bad things happen when you use the goo to close up the hole in the tire and many experts and friends of mines advise against that so I will avoid that part.

Superswiss, yeah many people are so dumb and its shocking to see them driving at highway speeds with those donut spare. Such ignorance and dangerous.

Anyways guys I really really love the new Q7 and I will drive one this week. I just sat in one yesterday so that does not make me an expert in how this car rides or drive so I will give my second opinion this week. I like it more then our X5 style inside and out.
Test with the HUD, adaptive air, and driver's assistance. I promise you will be very impressed.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
Test with the HUD, adaptive air, and driver's assistance. I promise you will be very impressed.
Will do! Either you go all the way or forget about it. : )
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wish I could have compared the drive with stock 21s with and without air but neither was available when I ordered 21s without air....I'd love to hear a review about that if it exists yet. (I also ordered winter 19s with rims)

Quick Reply: Audi decision to switch to runflat tires for Q7: A bonehead move?