Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty2426
2017 Q7 3.0L 145K miles
I thought I put a lot of miles but 145K? That's awesome.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2017 has 75K and has started consuming more oil then when It was newer. I just did an oil change and I'm keeping track how many miles before add a quart happens. I think it is going to be around 1000 to 1500 miles. Not sure yet.
I have started to research this issue and the first item that turns up as a possible cause is the oil separator or PCV valve located under the supercharger. I have also noticed with the engine idling the oil fill cap has alot of vacuum on it. Pretty hard to take off from the suction. I think this may be a sign of a bad PVC valve. Does any one know? Has anyone tried removing the oil cap while idling?
Old 10-05-2021, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,188 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty2426
this issue is causing me to rethink my plans to purchase a new Audi (SQ8). everytime i go into the shop the service technicians are shocked that i drive as many miles as i do and act like the car should be replaced with 145K miles. SERIOUSLY!!! i used to get 300+K out of my GMC SUV's.
These are not american made trucks... but I feel your pain.

Originally Posted by petery129
I thought I put a lot of miles but 145K? That's awesome.
I am hoping to take mine that far, I am approaching 80K now but also thinking of going with a lower mileage replacement.

Originally Posted by meyergsr
My 2017 has 75K and has started consuming more oil then when It was newer. I just did an oil change and I'm keeping track how many miles before add a quart happens. I think it is going to be around 1000 to 1500 miles. Not sure yet.
I have started to research this issue and the first item that turns up as a possible cause is the oil separator or PCV valve located under the supercharger. I have also noticed with the engine idling the oil fill cap has alot of vacuum on it. Pretty hard to take off from the suction. I think this may be a sign of a bad PVC valve. Does any one know? Has anyone tried removing the oil cap while idling?
My oil cap has a lot of suction too and I might burn 2/3 of a quart over 5K miles so I am fairly confident I do not have an issue. The service is not that bad to do apparently but there are things in the way. Most of these cars see PCV issues at 100K or so miles. My 2.0T A5 had it go bad at something like 30K.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

My dealer took a look today and says I have a leaky Valve Cover Gasket. He showed me videos of oil pooling on the right side of the engine and some oil marks on the left side.

I gave them the go ahead to replace it. Hopefully that fixes the oil consumption issue.

The following users liked this post:
Lschroe47 (12-10-2022)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We have a 2017 Q7 3.0T with 99K miles that started to noticeably burn oil at about 90K and continued to get worse. Always serviced at dealer on schedule under Audi care plan. Did the oil consumption test and they measured 1.6 quarts in 1,000 miles and gave us a quote for new pistons, rings and PCV valve for $17K. In addition, new engine mounts for another $2K.

This car was mostly driven by my wife highway miles and is still on the original set of brake pads - so obviously was not driven hard.

SA told my wife that it was time for us to get a new car. I don’t remember reading in the owner’s manual to discard after 100K.

This was my 3rd Audi but sold the other two when still under warranty. Will try to contact Audi North America as next step.

Thanks eroskins for sharing your experience that gives me some hope that Audi might step up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Andrewflk:
Lschroe47 (12-10-2022), marylynn87 (07-11-2023), mwhyte (05-31-2022)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewflk
We have a 2017 Q7 3.0T with 99K miles that started to noticeably burn oil at about 90K and continued to get worse. Always serviced at dealer on schedule under Audi care plan. Did the oil consumption test and they measured 1.6 quarts in 1,000 miles and gave us a quote for new pistons, rings and PCV valve for $17K. In addition, new engine mounts for another $2K.

This car was mostly driven by my wife highway miles and is still on the original set of brake pads - so obviously was not driven hard.

SA told my wife that it was time for us to get a new car. I don’t remember reading in the owner’s manual to discard after 100K.

This was my 3rd Audi but sold the other two when still under warranty. Will try to contact Audi North America as next step.

Thanks eroskins for sharing your experience that gives me some hope that Audi might step up.
This is extreme. Sorry to hear that. Looks like the 3.0T is an oil burning pit. EA888 doesn't have a good track record either. How's this current 2.0T, gen 3B (?) ?
Old 10-20-2021, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Andrewflk

OMG I am at little over 89K miles and just added another qt (this will be 4th time since the last oil change), service due in about 1000 miles so I will tell my SA about this.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Follow up to my question. My oil consumption test failed. Dealer quoted 12k for new pistons and rings. I'm most likely going to trade.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,188 Likes on 926 Posts

Follow up to my question. My oil consumption test failed. Dealer quoted 12k for new pistons and rings. I'm most likely going to trade.
Did it just randomly start consuming tons of oil or was it dying a slow death? Be sure to not trade it in at that Audi dealer.... LOL
Old 10-25-2021, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

it seems like the dealer will want to replace pistons and rings when it comes to an excessive oil consumption, I will see what my dealer tells me since I am due for a service in about 2-3 weeks. I will contact AoA if my dealer tells me to replace pistons and rings at 90K miles, it's not acceptable.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?