Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
the weakest point that the hot gas is escaping past and eventually it burns a hole in your valve.
Those are fractures, not melting failures. You would need somewhere on the order of 3,000degF constant flow to "burn a hole" in a valve. Plasma cutters are around 40k deg F and Laser cutters are close to 2k deg F of constant and focused energy input to "burn" through steel. Even the high end of combustion gasses are only in the ~1,400deg F range on high performance turbocharged applications.

"burnt valves" aren't a thing. They overheat because they can't be properly cooled, then they fracture.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
It would be difficult for customers to know what to do if their owner's manual says one thing and the Internet says another thing. Ignore the manufacturer's recommendation out of fear of having the warranty voided or follow what people say online out of fear of having the engine destroyed? What would you do?

What Audi says for this engine in the owner's manual is below.
Doing what's in the manual will get you through the warranty period. I know, because I write manuals for mechanical equipment. Do what you want, it's your car. There is no right answer, and any data that might exist is most certainly proprietary.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 352 Likes on 323 Posts

Burned valves are definitely a thing. A burnt valve is just a valve that has been damaged by excessive temperatures. The heat causes the edges of the valve to literally burn away. In some cases, the valve may experience thermal shock, causing a portion of the valve to crack or break off which you are referring to.

Temperatures in the combustion chamber can far exceed what you are referring to and are definitely hot enough to burn a valve.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys were discussing oil brands earlier and I was surprised nobody mentioned using Castrol. The oil filler cap on my 2018 A6 3.0T and my daughter's 2018 Tiguan both have "Castrol" printed on them. I've been using Castrol Edge 5W40 in them since new without consumption issues, at 63,000 and 70,000 miles. Is "Castrol" printed on your filler caps too?

Btw, because of this thread, I've started using a bottle of Techron in the gas & am planning to add a bottle to the gas with each oil change from now on.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 119 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennR
Btw, because of this thread, I've started using a bottle of Techron in the gas & am planning to add a bottle to the gas with each oil change from now on.
Good call 👍
The following users liked this post:
GlennR (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

You guys were discussing oil brands earlier and I was surprised nobody mentioned using Castrol. The oil filler cap on my 2018 A6 3.0T and my daughter's 2018 Tiguan both have "Castrol" printed on them. I've been using Castrol Edge 5W40 in them since new without consumption issues, at 63,000 and 70,000 miles. Is "Castrol" printed on your filler caps too?

I've been using Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 since my AudiCare ended, mostly because it was cheap and I bought a bunch of 5-liter cans in bulk So far, so good. Occasionally would add Techtron - every 4-5 months or so. So far, so good.
GlennR (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I saw that on the oil cap too. My audi care has ended and starting the next oil change I am going to do it myself and among all the different VW502 approved oils I saw in the local store I will likely go with Castrol as well.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
I saw that on the oil cap too. My audi care has ended and starting the next oil change I am going to do it myself and among all the different VW502 approved oils I saw in the local store I will likely go with Castrol as well.
FCPEuro. You ship your old oil and they refund you. Lifetime warranty. Changed the oil on my Q5 last weekend and sent the oil back yesterday - 25$ oil change.
Bobeisenberg (03-02-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erhoskins
I purchased my 2017 Audi Q7 in August 2016. The vehicle is advertised as requiring servicing and oil change every 10,000 miles. Unfortunately, my vehicle has never made it to a 10,000 mile interval without the yellow oil indicator light come on. When I asked the Audi service agent , he states that the car does not typically make it to a 10,000 mile interval because of the large engine. Over the past 5 years the interval to add one quart of oil has been less and less. It has gone from ~9500, 7500, 3000 intervals. On July 22, 2021 I took my car in for the 80,000 mile service. The actual mileage on the odometer was 80,304. The car service was complete and returned. On August 16, 2021, my yellow oil indicator light came on at 81,588 miles. I called the my local Audi Service and was advised to come in for an oil consumption test. I also notified the National Audi Customer Service line to voice my concern for my car. I inquired if oil consumption is a known issue in the Audi Q7 2017. There was not a clear admission of this concern in their vehicles but it made me concern that this could be an issue because of historical issues with Audi's early consumption of oil. I am concerned because this vehicle has the oil indicator light come on in shorter intervals which make me concerned about the longevity and reliability of the engine.

I had the same issue and it only gets worse. Mine started leaking oil periodically. Has anyone had the same issue and actually got to the bottom of it?
Old 03-02-2024, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Since I started using Liquid Moly I never had any issues with early Oil consumption notice. The same mode of driving and style.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?